The real reason there were no Southern Cross toys

• Brooklyn-Red-Leg
  • Brooklyn-Red-Leg's Avatar Topic Author
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Thank you received: 0

The real reason there were no Southern Cross toys was created by Brooklyn-Red-Leg

Reposted from Roger Harkavy at MacrossWorld (Japanese Robot scholar Matt Alt pointed Roger to this):

Here's the Japanese Wiki page:

ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/サ|...#12525;ス

It does say that Bandai became the show's sponsor (as Takatoku went bankrupt that year.) It says that a transforming Spartas toy was announced in the magazines at the time, but the sponsor dropped the show without ever actually producing one. Bandai apparently threw all of their weight behind merchandising 'Macross: Do You Remember Deep Like?' instead. It is an interesting case of a robot show for which a portrayal of the main character's mecha was never produced. The page also says that the first release of the models featured the legendary ad-copy phrase "body incorporating lolicon!" on the blister-pack for the upper body pieces.

Wow, had absolutely f*ck all to do with it being 'unpopular' and everything to do with the toy sponsors tossing it overboard. If anything, this means that Bandai not supporting the show also is a factor in the show's demise. So, note to Harmony Gold employees, STOP repeating the mantra that Southern Cross had no toys because it was unpopular.

I think this would be a good time for me to go the range and squeeze off a hundred rounds or so because I now have the overwhelming urge to hurt someone.

From me to Bandai:

Last edit: 15 years 3 months ago by Brooklyn-Red-Leg.
15 years 3 months ago #2010
The topic has been locked.
  • SIGHUP
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Admin this!
  • Thank you received: 32

Replied by SIGHUP on topic Re:The real reason there were no Southeern Cross toys

Punching bag always works for me.

Need it to with all those anime-to-screen films coming out.
--David Pena
SIGHUP
www.robotechx.com - a fandom based site | RIP Carl Macek (1951-2010)
15 years 3 months ago #2011
  • Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:The real reason there were no Southeern Cross t

WELL. THE SOUTHERN CROSS RPG WAS ANNOUNCED AT ANIME L.A. I THINK IT WILL BE A BIGGER SALE THAN ANYTHING SC OUT THERE.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
15 years 3 months ago #2015
  • Brooklyn-Red-Leg
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter

Replied by Brooklyn-Red-Leg on topic Re:The real reason there were no Southeern Cross t

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

WELL. THE SOUTHERN CROSS RPG WAS ANNOUNCED AT ANIME L.A. I THINK IT WILL BE A BIGGER SALE THAN ANYTHING SC OUT THERE.

I have to give Palladium credit this time, they definitely hit it out of the ballpark just with the art previews:

15 years 3 months ago #2023
  • SIGHUP
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Admin this!
  • Thank you received: 32

Replied by SIGHUP on topic Re:The real reason there were no Southeern Cross t

Agreed, those look great.
--David Pena
SIGHUP
www.robotechx.com - a fandom based site | RIP Carl Macek (1951-2010)
15 years 3 months ago #2052
  • Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:The real reason there were no Southern Cross to

THANKS FOR THE PICTURES BROOK..

NOW I AM REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO THE BOOK.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
15 years 3 months ago #2056

Replied by Adam_Schiller on topic Re:The real reason there were no Southern Cross to

Brooklyn Red Leg wrote:

If anything, this means that Bandai not supporting the show also is a factor in the show's demise. So, note to Harmony Gold employees, STOP repeating the mantra that Southern Cross had no toys because it was unpopular.

Now, I'm a hard supporter of the Southern Cross/The Masters timeline; it's my favourite of the main three sagas. But to say that the show "died" solely because it didn't get support from a toy company is short-sighted. If indeed Bandai economically chose to not finance Southern Cross toys for the very reason that it was unpopular, then it would be hard to say that they were wrong in doing so. After all, it's not a toy sponsor's job to somehow help revitalise a failing series--it's the producers'.

One might be wholly correct to look at the whole of what you posted, Brooklyn Red Leg, and simply understand that (sadly and despite all its potential) Southern Cross suffered from old-fashioned bad luck. Macross' rising popularity, the resurgence of Gundam in the marketplace (Z Gundam's production), the departure of the original character designer, and a 1980s split between mechanism-based (boys) and character-based (girls) science fiction animation all combined together to make things very tough for TSC.
15 years 3 months ago #2057

Replied by MGREXX on topic Re:The real reason there were no Southern Cross toys

Damn red leg,
When the fuck are you going to get it through your thick skull that the Southern Cross story arc of Robotech was an abortion. The story sucked, the mecha sucked and it WAS NOT POPULAR here or in Japan!!!!!!

You got a poster, apparel and now an RPG, so just STFU already. Your years of crying over this subject grew old YEARS AGO!!!!!!! So, get a life already.......

Btw, the only reason Palladium did this book is because the other arcs are covered and they are hurting for money....and money.....regardless of how small te revenue will be. HEHEHE!!! :whistle:
15 years 3 months ago #2062
  • Brooklyn-Red-Leg
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter

Replied by Brooklyn-Red-Leg on topic Re:The real reason there were no Southern Cross toys

MGREXX wrote:

Damn red leg,
When the fuck are you going to get it through your thick skull that the Southern Cross story arc of Robotech was an abortion. The story sucked, the mecha sucked and it WAS NOT POPULAR here or in Japan!!!!!!

Whatever MGREXX.

You got a poster, apparel and now an RPG, so just STFU already. Your years of crying over this subject grew old YEARS AGO!!!!!!! So, get a life already.......

Ya know, its amazing how people who DON'T have a life have to tell others to get a life.

Btw, the only reason Palladium did this book is because the other arcs are covered and they are hurting for money....and money.....regardless of how small te revenue will be. HEHEHE!!! :whistle:

You bore me, MGREXX.
15 years 3 months ago #2070
  • Brooklyn-Red-Leg
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter

Replied by Brooklyn-Red-Leg on topic Re:The real reason there were no Southern Cross to

Adam_Schiller wrote:

Now, I'm a hard supporter of the Southern Cross/The Masters timeline; it's my favourite of the main three sagas. But to say that the show "died" solely because it didn't get support from a toy company is short-sighted.

You obviously did not read what I wrote. I said its apparent that it was a factor in the show's demise, not the only reason. A show that is unsupported has a huge burden to overcome just based on that alone.

Anyway, Palladium just released the teaser for the Masters War RPG supplement:

15 years 3 months ago #2071
Time to create page: 0.581 seconds