"Liveblogging" My unpacking of Maia Sterling Alpha

• Sushispook
  • Sushispook's Avatar Topic Author
  • Micronian
  • Micronian
  • Thank you received: 0

"Liveblogging" My unpacking of Maia Sterling Alpha was created by Sushispook

Writing this as I go through the box.

First thing is that the MPC "book" is the same as previous MPC Alphas. Feels lighter and flimsier, though, when I heft it and compare it to my Sue Graham box (both empty at the time).

Opening up the book, I can see that whoever packed it in fighter mode didn't fold away the hands, so they got jammed between the 2 layers of clear molded plastic used for packing.

Taking the Alpha out, it feels the same weight. Flipping it over and looking at the bottom, the knee-covers were snapped off either before or as it was packed. On one, the gold connector (for lack of a better term) is clearly cracked.

I'm taking pics as I go. Next post is transforming.
14 years 2 months ago #9782

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Sushispook
  • Micronian
  • Micronian

Replied by Sushispook on topic Re:"Liveblogging" My unpacking of Maia Sterling Alpha

Okay, wings fold down easier than any other Toynami Alpha I've ever gotten. Left arm swings out fine. Right arm not set quite right, can't clear the wing without me tugging down hard on the wing.

The hatch that flips to the right behind the cockpit (if you're looking at it from the top down) immediately fell off when I swung it a quarter inch open. Can't easily get it back on, and I don't want to force it. However, unlike every other Toynami Alpha I've had the hatch below that swung up and open easily and didn't break.

Pulling up on the torso, I have to apply a worrisome amount of force, but it comes up. Rotating the intakes into the chest position takes a bit of fiddling (the hinge point where the hatch that fell off gets in the way), but as long as I'm gentle, it seems that it will be okay. Had to tug on the cockpit pretty hard to get it to slide out, but I was able to and get it folded onto the back "spine" of the battloid.

Head fits and easily rotates - a first for any Toynami or Aoshima I've owned.
14 years 2 months ago #9783

• Sushispook
  • Micronian
  • Micronian

Replied by Sushispook on topic Re:"Liveblogging" My unpacking of Maia Sterling Alpha

Alright, the exclusive Robotech.com card is just that - a card. Got spoiled by the animation cells, but that's a persona disappointment, and I can't fault RT for that - truth in advertising right there.

Accessories are the Syncro-cannon that Sue Graham's alpha had, and the same shoulder-mounted radar attachment the 1st 3 MPC alphas had. Since it's the cannon designed for the "claw" hand of the Shadow alpha, it's not readily or easily apparent as to how it's supposed to be held. No clue in the instructions, as there's a drawing of it holding the cannon, but no actual picture or explanation. I'm afraid I'm going to snap the hands off if I try to slide the trigger cover over the wrist.

There are a couple of minor cosmetic imperfections around the feet, but they're not immediately noticeable unless you know to look for it. I was able to get the right knee cover that had snapped off back on with a little bit of pressure. The left one is unsightly due to the obvious cracks.

All the other joints seem fine - not too stiff or too loose. The shoulder missile covers are okay as well - they close well, and don't flop open (like my Aoshima). The remaining missile covers, however, are very tight, and require so much force to open that it's clear I run a very clear risk of them snapping off.

I'm going to keep it, although overall I'm disappointed. With the quality here, it's clear that I run the risk of getting the same or worse if I send it back (given the longstanding QC issues). And the true disappointment comes from being told at Animation On Display that there were improvements - it's clear that there is no fundamental re-design elements applied anywhere.

I'm not going to say buy or don't buy - form your own opinion and make your own choice.
14 years 2 months ago #9784

• Sushispook
  • Micronian
  • Micronian

Last edit: 14 years 2 months ago by MEMO1DOMINION.
14 years 2 months ago #9785

• Mark-Warlock
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Writer

Replied by Mark-Warlock on topic Re:"Liveblogging" My unpacking of Maia Sterling Alpha

Good information there. I'm sure it will help all of us who are awaiting the arrival of our own MPC Alpha..

Though I do hope that the issue describe here were an isolated incident and that it won't reflect on the entire run...

Not that I'm glad you got the bad one Sushispook... Its sucks.. But I just hope they aren't all that way.
A question that sometimes drives me hazy; am I or are the others crazy? - Albert Einstein

Find Mark Warlock now on Facebook.
14 years 2 months ago #9786

• Sushispook
  • Micronian
  • Micronian

Not that I'm glad you got the bad one Sushispook... Its sucks.. But I just hope they aren't all that way.

Heh, dude, if I could "take the bullet" so everyone else got a perfect one, I'd totally do it.

It's funny, because it arrived on the same day that my CM's Legioss Jota and Tread showed up, and transforming both, it's amazing how things just *work*.

I also noticed that the right hand on the Maia Sterling has the indentation to hold the standard alpha gun.

Did they even *try*?

If everyone else starts posting stories about how theirs is hewn from raw and pure awesome, then I'll send mine back - but I don't expect that to be the case, sadly :(
14 years 2 months ago #9787

• Pizza-the-Hutt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Pizza-the-Hutt on topic Re:"Liveblogging" My unpacking of Maia Sterling Al

Well,
Now I am scared to see what I get and mine is due to arrive around the 15th and I had bad luck with my Lancer alpha and my Maia I got back in 2008. I can't believe the hype that was spread about how durable and sturdy they supposed to be.

I do feel bad for you and if I got one with defects I would either call or email Robotech.com and demand a exchange or refund. I saw that cracked knee you were talking about and that alone would make me spit cotton.

Did they atleast make the shoulder joints more durable and can you now put the guns where they belong?

And in one vid Tommy said this was the alpha to be talked about.

Gosh I am scared to open mine when I get it.

Well I apreciate your current info and hope that you can resolve this.
14 years 2 months ago #9788

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:"Liveblogging" My unpacking of Maia Sterling Alpha

THE WAY YOU STAND IT AND FROM DIFFERENT POSES IT LOOKS LIKE ITS HANDICAPPED. LIKE ONE LEG IS CROOKED GIVING A HOBO LOOK TO IT. EVEN THE BACK DON'T MATCH UP. IN FIGHTER MODE THE BOTTOM LEGS DON'T MATCH UP EITHER. I SAY SAVE THAT RECEIPT AND HOPE YOURS JUST WAS AN ISOLATED ISSUE.

AND WOW. ONE FOR THE BAD ONES... JUST WOW.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
Last edit: 14 years 2 months ago by MEMO1DOMINION.
14 years 2 months ago #9789

• Sushispook
  • Micronian
  • Micronian

If mine is more of the exception, and not the rule, I'm gonna ask for an exchange. But if others are having the same issues? Meh, then exchanging it and getting the same crappy one, or WORSE.... ugh.
14 years 2 months ago #9791

• Sushispook
  • Micronian
  • Micronian

Also, I think it looks crooked because of the camera angle, and I didn't quite settle the feet properly. That's what happens when I'm trying to take photos while on a work teleconference at the same time :)
14 years 2 months ago #9792

Time to create page: 0.441 seconds