Robotech Live Action Movie

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Gubaba on topic Re: Robotech Live Action Movie

BenYbgib wrote:

I suspect that one of the reasons why its Taking so long to get production for the RLAM running is due to tension from Big West and the adjacent dilemma with the Macross story. :S

What tension would that be? And what dilemma?
11 years 9 months ago #19458

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 3

Replied by MaverickLSC on topic Re: Robotech Live Action Movie

Gubaba wrote;

HG isn't working on the RLAM, they're merely "advising." As such, I think they've got nothing BUT time right now.

Merely advising eh! You forget that Frank Agrama is executive producer on the film. A Producers role is alot more than merely advising. ;)

Mav...
The Sergeant Hartman of Robotech.com
Last edit: 11 years 9 months ago by MaverickLSC.
11 years 9 months ago #19461

• Waters7
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Waters7 on topic Re: Robotech Live Action Movie

MaverickLSC wrote:

Gubaba wrote;

HG isn't working on the RLAM, they're merely "advising." As such, I think they've got nothing BUT time right now.

Merely advising eh! You forget that Frank Agrama is executive producer on the film. A Producers role is alot more than merely advising. ;)

Mav...

Hay Mav... for some one that claims that knows how Hollywood works, you really don't know much about the difference between an executive producer and an actual producer.

Thankfully, a little google search can clear things up, here are a couple of links that can help you understand it better:

smallbusiness.chron.com/differences-betw...-producer-17587.html

www.directortom.com/director-tom/2007/8/...r-who-does-what.html .

In another note, a few years ago at a hockey game in LA, I had a chance to speak with a business partner of Akiva Goldsman while sitting at my parent's suite @ the Staples Center. During our conversation, the Robotech LAM came up. Although, no pertinent information came out about the production, something that was made clear was that Harmony Gold had no involvement with the LAM production and that having Frank Agrama attached as an Executive Producer was more a formality than an actual indication of him working in the production.
11 years 9 months ago #19466

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re: Robotech Live Action Movie

Waters7 wrote:

MaverickLSC wrote:

Gubaba wrote;

Mav...

Hay Mav... for some one that claims that knows how Hollywood works, you really don't know much about the difference between an executive producer and an actual producer.

Thankfully, a little google search can clear things up, here are a couple of links that can help you understand it better:

WE ACTUALLY TALKED ABOUT THIS A WHILE BACK. EVEN PUT UP LINKS INCLUDING A FEW FROM WIKI AND OTHER SOURCES. NOTHING NEW FROM THOSE LINKS.

In another note, a few years ago at a hockey game in LA, I had a chance to speak with a business partner of Akiva Goldsman while sitting at my parent's suite @ the Staples Center. During our conversation, the Robotech LAM came up. Although, no pertinent information came out about the production, something that was made clear was that Harmony Gold had no involvement with the LAM production and that having Frank Agrama attached as an Executive Producer was more a formality than an actual indication of him working in the production.

NEVER THOUGHT HE WOULD BE INVOLVED IN PRODUCTION ITSELF. FORMALITY NOW.. MAYBE. THEY DO OWN THE PROPERTY RIGHT AND KNOWING HG THEY WOULD BE ON TOP OF THEIR LICENSE IN CASE SOMETHING GOES WRONG. WE DON'T KNOW THE DETAILS OF THE CONTRACT BUT WOULD NOT DISREGARD THAT AGRAMA WOULD JUST HAND OVER THE PROPERTY WITHOUT A SAY.

SO THAT PERSON IS RIGHT. BUT I THINK THERE IS MORE THAT WE DON'T KNOW.

HG HAVE SAID MANY TIMES WB IS IN CHARGE. AND I THINK ALSO TOBEY MAGUIRE HAS A BIG HAND IN IT.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
Last edit: 11 years 9 months ago by MEMO1DOMINION.
11 years 9 months ago #19468

• Waters7
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

Waters7 wrote:

MaverickLSC wrote:

Gubaba wrote;

Mav...

WE ACTUALLY TALKED ABOUT THIS A WHILE BACK. EVEN PUT UP LINKS INCLUDING A FEW FROM WIKI AND OTHER SOURCES. NOTHING NEW FROM THOSE LINKS.

Obviously Mav missed that information back then. It never hurts to refresh ;)

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

NEVER THOUGHT HE WOULD BE INVOLVED IN PRODUCTION ITSELF. FORMALITY NOW.. MAYBE. THEY DO OWN THE PROPERTY RIGHT AND KNOWING HG THEY WOULD BE ON TOP OF THEIR LICENSE IN CASE SOMETHING GOES WRONG. WE DON'T KNOW THE DETAILS OF THE CONTRACT BUT WOULD NOT DISREGARD THAT AGRAMA WOULD JUST HAND OVER THE PROPERTY WITHOUT A SAY.

HG HAVE SAID MANY TIMES WB IS IN CHARGE. AND I THINK ALSO TOBEY MAGUIRE HAS A BIG HAND IN IT.

If previous behavior is any indication, it won't be surprising if HG flat out is not involved at all in the production process. After all, I'm sure WB would rather have their own people take care of the situation if something goes wrong rather than have people like Tommy or Kevin (who by the way, don't have any experience in the production of a LAM).
Now, about Frank Agrama, like I mentioned on my earlier post, his Executive producer status is more a formality and a way to ensure that he gets pay one way or another once the Robotech LAM is released... and this is a big IF because there is no indication whatsoever that it has been greenlight for production.
Now, unless something has changed since it was announced, Tobey has always been attached to this since it the beginning. I guess is safe to say that this is his project after all.
11 years 9 months ago #19475

• Thank you received: 3

Replied by MaverickLSC on topic Re: Robotech Live Action Movie

Waters7 wrote;

I don't claim to know Hollywood, i know Toronto! ;)
I visited Hollywood once back in 2004 as a side trip to anime expo, nice place and great fandom. :)

Btw, keep your teamsters, we don't need them here to ruin Toronto's film industry. ;)

Also your second link doesn't work, your first is too vague.

Here's a better definition;

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_producer
www.imdb.com/glossary/E

Waters7 wrote;

Although, no pertinent information came out about the production, something that was made clear was that Harmony Gold had no involvement with the LAM production and that having Frank Agrama attached as an Executive Producer was more a formality than an actual indication of him working in the production.

A formality is indicative if the studio is looking for endorsement by the creator. i.e. Stan Lee endorsing the avengers movie would earn him that title if the studio sees it fit that such support would at least win the fans who follow Stan lee. Earning already a core audience prior to any press release or marketing support for the film.

www.imdb.com/name/nm0498278/

For Harmony Gold that creator would've been Carl Macek, however he wasn't with Harmony Gold at the time when the studios made that announcement, and since Harmony Gold owns Robotech as a property. That property owner ideally is Frank Agrama.

I'm sure if Carl Macek was employed with HG at the time, he would have been given the title of executive producer for endorsement purposes.

Frank Agrama's role as executive producer is involved in the handling legal, fiscal and contractual responsibilities of the property along with his lawyers between HG and Warner Brothers representatives.

How do we know this? The 2008 merchandising agreement had to be ironed out between HG and Warner Brothers. Took them over a year in negotiations which Frank Agrama as executive producer would had to perform as one of many duties his title invokes.

Gubaba wrote;

HG isn't working on the RLAM, they're merely "advising."

We can't assume that Frank Agrama's role involves advising on the development project, that could also be Tommy's and/or Steve Yun. Who do you think the script development team had to go to for resources and some advice ;)

I would rather go to the creative director don't you think? :)

Memo wrote;

WE DON'T KNOW THE DETAILS OF THE CONTRACT BUT WOULD NOT DISREGARD THAT AGRAMA WOULD JUST HAND OVER THE PROPERTY WITHOUT A SAY.

No he wouldn't, after all he is the property owner.

Memo wrote;

WB is indeed in charge, but there's nothing indicating that they're not utilizing Harmony Gold as a resourse for Robotech:LAM development.

Memo wrote;

The definition that Waters7 had given is only honorary credit in terms of endorsement, it's not indicative of what work an executive producer performs in his duties.

If Carl Macek were alive, I'm sure he would receive such honorary credit.

Perhaps Warner Brothers will! ;)

Mav...
The Sergeant Hartman of Robotech.com
Last edit: 11 years 9 months ago by MaverickLSC.
11 years 9 months ago #19476

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Gubaba on topic Re: Robotech Live Action Movie

Trying to pin down exactly what an executive producer does is like trying to nail jello to the wall.
11 years 9 months ago #19488

• Waters7
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

MaverickLSC wrote:

I don't claim to know Hollywood, i know Toronto!
I visited Hollywood once back in 2004 as a side trip to anime expo, nice place and great fandom

Well, you sure have short term memory because a few years back MEMO made the claim for you at robotech.com and since you made no attempt whatsoever to correct MEMO, we can all assume that he was speaking on your behalf.

Also, a few weeks ago you were bragging about how you graduated from Raindance Filmaking and how you shared the same program with people like Chris Nolan and Guy Ritchie ;)

MaverickLSC wrote:

A formality is indicative if the studio is looking for endorsement by the creator. i.e. Stan Lee endorsing the avengers movie would earn him that title if the studio sees it fit that such support would at least win the fans who follow Stan lee. Earning already a core audience prior to any press release or marketing support for the film.

For Harmony Gold that creator would've been Carl Macek, however he wasn't with Harmony Gold at the time when the studios made that announcement, and since Harmony Gold owns Robotech as a property. That property owner ideally is Frank Agrama.

I'm sure if Carl Macek was employed with HG at the time, he would have been given the title of executive producer for endorsement purposes.

Since Tommy is now the Director at Harmony Gold, how come his name is not attached as an executive producer?

MaverickLSC wrote:

Frank Agrama's role as executive producer is involved in the handling legal, fiscal and contractual responsibilities of the property along with his lawyers between HG and Warner Brothers representatives.

How do we know this? The 2008 merchandising agreement had to be ironed out between HG and Warner Brothers. Took them over a year in negotiations which Frank Agrama as executive producer would had to perform as one of many duties his title invokes.

Did Frank or any spokeperson for Frank actually mentioned this to you or is this something based on an assumption based on your hollywood experience? ;)

As for the rest of your response, I'm going to leave it at that, you sure can write a lot about nothing and pass it on as fact... reminds me to that dude that used to brag about having 6000 lessoners and used to make podcasts 3 hours long about 1 single comment made at these forums.
Last edit: 11 years 9 months ago by Waters7.
11 years 9 months ago #19489

• blackconvoy_D01
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by blackconvoy_D01 on topic Re: Robotech Live Action Movie

Keep our Teamsters? The Toronto film industry? Im sorry, was the Dark Knight Rises or Avengers solely filmed in Toronto? What about Titanic? No, of course not. We'll keep the hits, you can have your lame film industry.
My appreciation pics page:
www.flickr.com/photos/26350372@N04/
11 years 9 months ago #19491

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re: Robotech Live Action Movie

Waters7 wrote:

MaverickLSC wrote:

I don't claim to know Hollywood, i know Toronto!
I visited Hollywood once back in 2004 as a side trip to anime expo, nice place and great fandom

Well, you sure have short term memory because a few years back MEMO made the claim for you at robotech.com and since you made no attempt whatsoever to correct MEMO, we can all assume that he was speaking on your behalf.

Also, a few weeks ago you were bragging about how you graduated from Raindance Filmaking and how you shared the same program with people like Chris Nolan and Guy Ritchie ;)

MY STICK BIGGER THAN YOURS....

MaverickLSC wrote:

Since Tommy is now the Director at Harmony Gold, how come his name is not attached as an executive producer?

TOMMY YUNE IS NO CARL MACEK.

MaverickLSC wrote:

Did Frank or any spokeperson for Frank actually mentioned this to you or is this something based on an assumption based on your hollywood experience? ;)

FOR ME ITS NOT JUST AN ASSUMPTION. I ACTUALLY CAME ACROSS A FEW PEOPLE WHO ARE ALSO PRODUCING RLAM. EITHER THROUGH JASON NETTER AND HIS GROUP OR OTHERS OVER THE YEARS.

AH THERE... I NAMED ONE SOURCE GROUP. ;)

As for the rest of your response, I'm going to leave it at that, you sure can write a lot about nothing and pass it on as fact... reminds me to that dude that used to brag about having 6000 lessoners and used to make podcasts 3 hours long about 1 single comment made at these forums.

MY STICK IS BIGGER THAN YOURS AGAIN....

BY ANY CHANCE, TALKING TO THE CONTACT, I KNOW IT WOULD PROBABLY BE ONE OF THE BIGGEST QUESTIONS AROUND AND YOU PROBABLY ASKED OR MAYBE NOT... WILL THE STORY START IN THE FIRST GENERATION (MACROSS)?

"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
11 years 9 months ago #19494

Time to create page: 0.552 seconds