Robotech Live Action Movie

• Waters7
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Waters7 on topic Re: live action

So, it can be concluded that people that say that "Macross dialogue suck" is because they are more used to the Robotech dialogue and like it more, yes?
12 years 2 months ago #18266

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re: live action

Waters7 wrote:

So, it can be concluded that people that say that "Macross dialogue suck" is because they are more used to the Robotech dialogue and like it more, yes?

OR IT JUST SUCKED ON IT'S OWN. SOME PEOPLE JUST DON'T LIKE IT.

NO REASON TO GET WORKED OVER ABOUT IT... YES?
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
12 years 2 months ago #18267

• ps99041
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by ps99041 on topic Re: live action

If "SOME PEOPLE JUST DON'T LIKE IT", you can't really say "IT SUCKED ON IT'S OWN" since it's an opinion, right?
12 years 2 months ago #18268

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Gubaba on topic Re: live action

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

Waters7 wrote:

OR IT JUST SUCKED ON IT'S OWN. SOME PEOPLE JUST DON'T LIKE IT.

NO REASON TO GET WORKED OVER ABOUT IT... YES?

Not getting worked up, just asking for your opinion...

What parts of the Macross storyline were "horrible" for you?
12 years 2 months ago #18274

• Thank you received: 3

Replied by MaverickLSC on topic Re: live action

Waters7 wrote;

I wouldnt' say it like that, considering that Carl Macek did bring an honest english translation of SDF:Macross first prior to the development of Robotech.

Remember that the SDF:Macross as an english adaption was originally sold in an Ad which appeared in Heavy Metal Magazine.

The VHS sales indicated that it sold quite well, but one complaint was the dialogue in the translation was extremely poorly written, even with the liberties given to the writers to improve upon to the english translation.

At best, the english excellent voice cast managed to save what was obviously a poorly written script in the original source material to begin with.

It just wasnt' enough to save the writing given even with liberties in translation, I believe Carl Macek had to create Robotech to drastically improve the dialogue from the original SDF script given.

My personal opinion, regarding both the original english dialogue and subtitled VHS copy of SDF:Macross...

...it was absolutely horrid.

Robotech was an improvement by an exponential amount.

Mav...
The Sergeant Hartman of Robotech.com
12 years 2 months ago #18282

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

MaverickLSC wrote:

Waters7 wrote;

I wouldnt' say it like that, considering that Carl Macek did bring an honest english translation of SDF:Macross first prior to the development of Robotech.

Remember that the SDF:Macross as an english adaption was originally sold in an Ad which appeared in Heavy Metal Magazine.

You mean Starlog magazine, right?

'Cause it was Starlog (sometime in 1984...same issue that featured the Ghostbusters/Splash poster) that convinced me to buy "Macross Vol. 1/"

TMaverickLSC wrote:

he VHS sales indicated that it sold quite well, but one complaint was the dialogue in the translation was extremely poorly written, even with the liberties given to the writers to improve upon to the english translation.

Have you seen it? It was almost the same as the Robotech dub. So unless people complained about "South Altalia Island" or "Jer-walk," I don't know what you're talking about.

MaverickLSC wrote:

At best, the english excellent voice cast managed to save what was obviously a poorly written script in the original source material to begin with.

It just wasnt' enough to save the writing given even with liberties in translation, I believe Carl Macek had to create Robotech to drastically improve the dialogue from the original SDF script given.

My personal opinion, regarding both the original english dialogue and subtitled VHS copy of SDF:Macross...

So tell me, which was better...

In Macross episode 5, Hikaru Ichijo says he wishes the town were destroyed. When it IS destroyed, Minmay asks, "Well, you wished the town would be destroyed."

In Robotech, Rick says nothing of the sort. But when the town is destroyed, Minmei says, "Well, you said you wanted to destroy the town, how do you like it?." And Rick replies, "I didn't expect anything to happen," which is true, since he never said so in the first place.

MaverickLSC wrote:

Given the above, how so?

And even if so, I could take your podcast and edit into something more listenable and more interesting, easily. Does that mean I CREATED your podcast?

MaverickLSC wrote:

Mav...

(PSSST...you name is at the BEGINNING of every post you make... You don't need to put it at the end.

....Gubaba)
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by Gubaba.
12 years 2 months ago #18284

• Waters7
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Waters7 on topic Re: live action

MaverickLSC wrote:

Macek produced the dub for the first three episodes only. There is no indication that the whole series was dubbed. If his later work at Streamline is any indication, I'm sure he was waiting for the first volume to make an earning before continuing the production.

MaverickLSC wrote:

The VHS sales indicated that it sold quite well

There is no indication of this. The video was properly introduced in September of 1984 and by October, the production of the dub was abandoned and replaced with the production of Robotech. Success in sales are gauged by several months not just weeks.

MaverickLSC wrote:

but one complaint was the dialogue in the translation was extremely poorly written, even with the liberties given to the writers to improve upon to the english translation.

So you are talking about the dialogue that Macek came up with, not the original japanese dialogue... but wait, you change your tune with this next paragraph

MaverickLSC wrote:

Mav...

But before you were talking about the dialogue written by Macek, now you change your tune and say it was the japanese dialogue?
You claim to have watched SDF Macross in its original form. Can you provide examples of this "poorly written script"?
In my opinion, I find your conclusion rather bias, specially since you have no clue or understand the japanese language outside of some trivial expressions.
I find it very ignorant to claim superiority when you have no understanding whatsoever of the language of the source material.

It's like me saying that the spanish dub of The Simpsons and Southerpark are superior to the original english dialogue because I find the jokes in spanish to be more funny ;)

Oh by the way Gubaba, the VHS was advertised in Heavy Metal magazine as well.
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by Waters7.
12 years 2 months ago #18295

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Look...Maverick won't justify how Robotech was better than Macross for one simple reason: HE CAN'T.

You (or I) can knock on his door all you (or I) want, but he won't answer, because he's got nothing.

That said, I don't doubt he'll show up again, spewing the same BS as though it were true, because Memo favors him.

(And THAT'S a fact, not opinion. When Mav insulted members, Memo let it slide, but when I made intimations that didn't even insult Mav, but got maybe close to the mark, Memo deleted them, saying that insulting members was against the rules.)
12 years 2 months ago #18310

• blackconvoy_D01
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by blackconvoy_D01 on topic Re: live action

Gubaba wrote:

Look...Maverick won't justify how Robotech was better than Macross for one simple reason: HE CAN'T.

(And THAT'S a fact, not opinion. When Mav insulted members, Memo let it slide, but when I made intimations that didn't even insult Mav, but got maybe close to the mark, Memo deleted them, saying that insulting members was against the rules.)

Gubaba.... did you honestly expect more out of them? They don't like the fact that you've shed a light on more cracks in their broken system that is Robotech under HG. You can't convince the punch drinkers to stop once they've had a sip too many, becoming a belly full of lies onto themselves. They know Robotech is a failure. They don't want to fess up to it, they want to hold on. Its a life jacket with holes in it, because the bottom line is that anything that Robotech/HG has ever done past Macek's dub of the original series has resulted in failure or shoe string success, which ultimately is still just getting by. Let 'em drown in it.
My appreciation pics page:
www.flickr.com/photos/26350372@N04/
12 years 2 months ago #18314

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re: live action

HEHEHE

YOU GUYS ARE FUNNY.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
12 years 2 months ago #18317

Time to create page: 0.597 seconds