Robotech Live Action Movie

• ps99041
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by ps99041 on topic Re: live action

I'm always curious how anyone can say that the dialogue sucked in the original series since it was in Japanese and something usually gets lost in translation. I think the fact that HG hired new voice actors was also due to the fact that a Japanese language tv show with subtitles would never work on tv outside of Japan. Definitely, Carl deserves credit for putting the shows together, allowing us to experience Robotech and, eventually, the originals and other anime. Still who's Carel?
12 years 2 months ago #18247

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Bernard21 on topic Re: live action

Glad to hear you giving CARL some credit!!
As far as knowing that the original dialoge sucked is I know someone who worked on the original Robotech series and they talked about how the original series storyline/dialoge was horriable. Thank you for pointing out the abvious about the original being Japanese and things being lost in translation! Figured that was common knowledge and didn't feel the need to address it in my last post but thanks again!
I wish HG had at least a quarter of the Passion that the individuals that have been posting on this form.
We would have some much more Robotech then we would know what to do with!!!!!!!!!!
HG step up or pass the torch!!!
Sorry for the typos, my 3yr old son was hanging off my arms while I was typing!!
12 years 2 months ago #18248

Replied by Juan on topic Re: live action

hey Carl give us the story yeah, the story we all love, based in an animation already done. and yes let's not forget what he did. but don't make it more that he did he was not god, and he did not desing ant mecha, the Love triangle of rick lisa and the bimbo , was already there. what he did howerver was to put a product out to the masses and that was good.

What is being done today? RLLA? en serio? for real?
12 years 2 months ago #18249

Replied by lil-mungus on topic Re: live action

Forgive me for being ignorant but it seems as if a few countries got Macross in its un-altered form. And it seems as if Macross fans from these countries feel a need to voice how much better Macross is than Robotech. I am confused if these people don't realize that Macek had to create Robotech to put it on American TV. Some of the people on the Macross FB fanpage get upset if Robotech is even mentioned lol.

Likewise there are fans here in America that are critical of Macek's Robotech. Is their argument that Macek should have directly translated the 3 series, while having them be grouped together but completely separate in storyline as originally intended? Because that is the only other way I see he would have gotten it on TV here right?

Now that I have both the full Robotech series & the original Macross I can say I like both. Sure Macross has greater characterization and overall gives a truer anime experience, but I like the Robotech storyline better & its mysterious feel. I am happy to have both, so whats the deal? Are there people going around saying Macek is god & he created everything about Robotech with his own hands? I don't get it.

But I will say if not for him I would have no nostalgic memories of Robotech, Macross, Southern Cross, Mospeada, or any form thereof. Sure I may have discovered these space operas later in life, but I would have had to seek them out. I say this because nothing like the series that comprise Robotech has ever really been on the air over here again, so whats to say they ever would have made their way here if not for him. In that case I guess I would have discovered Macross in some college anime club at 18. That obviously would not have been the same as when I was 10 years old running home to catch what I thought was (and still do btw) the greatest sci-fi story ever.

So for those limitless childhood memories I say thank you Carl Macek. I am eternally grateful to him for giving me an experience I otherwise would not have had. An experience that you cannot re-create in your own life and go back and get.
12 years 2 months ago #18251

Replied by Bernard21 on topic Re: live action

WELL SAID!!!!!!!!!!!
I totally agree!!!
12 years 2 months ago #18253

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re: live action

BACK ON THE RLAM FOLLOWING...

Tobey Maguire has finished filming "The Great Gatsby" in Australia. his film is now in post-production. lets see which movies will he be an actor in from his list. Hope he don't take to long a vacation. 2 of his productions already moving, "MERMAID" 2012 and "LIFE OF PI" 2012. no movement on Robotech.

www.imdb.com/name/nm0001497/

and article

The Great Gatsby to finish filming in Sydney on December 23 as Leonardo DiCaprio and Kendal Schuler's romance grows

www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity/...907478-1226223592701

A rep for Baz Luhrmann's The Great Gatsby confirmed the (scheduled) wrap day yesterday, saying all the stars would be back at their homes for Christmas.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
12 years 2 months ago #18255

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Gubaba on topic Re: live action

Bernard21 wrote:

Glad to hear you giving CARL some credit!!
As far as knowing that the original dialoge sucked is I know someone who worked on the original Robotech series and they talked about how the original series storyline/dialoge was horriable. Thank you for pointing out the abvious about the original being Japanese and things being lost in translation! Figured that was common knowledge and didn't feel the need to address it in my last post but thanks again!
I wish HG had at least a quarter of the Passion that the individuals that have been posting on this form.
We would have some much more Robotech then we would know what to do with!!!!!!!!!!
HG step up or pass the torch!!!
Sorry for the typos, my 3yr old son was hanging off my arms while I was typing!!

Well, that's the nice thing about living in the 21st century...You can actually SEE the original Macross in Japanese with subtitles instead of relying on someone else's words.

So have you? Did you find it lacking? If so, how?
12 years 2 months ago #18256

Gubaba wrote:

Well, that's the nice thing about living in the 21st century...You can actually SEE the original Macross in Japanese with subtitles instead of relying on someone else's words.

MY 2 CENTS. I WATCHED IT IN IT'S ORIGINAL FORM. SORRY TO SAY, I DID NOT LIKE IT.

I THINK I WAS USED TO THE ROBOTECH VERSION AND OR MAYBE IT DID NOT APPEAL TO ME. SOUTHERN CROSS THE SAME. ON MOSPEADA IT WAS GOOD.

NOW DYRL...PURE AWESOMENESS ;)

JUST MY OPINION.
12 years 2 months ago #18258

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Gubaba on topic Re: live action

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

Gubaba wrote:

MY 2 CENTS. I WATCHED IT IN IT'S ORIGINAL FORM. SORRY TO SAY, I DID NOT LIKE IT.

Was the "script/storyline horrible"? Or was it just not your cup of tea?
12 years 2 months ago #18261

Gubaba wrote:

Was the "script/storyline horrible"? Or was it just not your cup of tea?

LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING. LIKE I SAID, ROBOTECH WAS JUST A BIG INFLUENCE.
12 years 2 months ago #18263

Time to create page: 0.574 seconds