Rebooting Robotech, even if you dislike remakes?

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master
  • Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!
  • Thank you received: 947

Replied by LadyGrimes on topic Re:Rebooting Robotech, even if you dislike remakes?

I know you hate to be corrected, but Robotech was not a remake of the original series, it is a completely different story on its own. Robotech isnt macross, Robotech is Robotech
not at a "remake" at all, just a different series. ;)

Thank you @AB for my adorable new avatar! <3
14 years 3 months ago #8857

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 3

Replied by MaverickLSC on topic Re:Rebooting Robotech, even if you dislike remakes?

I know you hate to be corrected, but Robotech was not a remake of the original series, it is a completely different story on its own.

Agreed, Both Macross and Robotech share the original source material, but that's all they share as the stories contained between them are distinct to the point that each is unique in their own right. Robotech is not a remake, it's a unique and separate story from that of Macross. Not a remake of Macross, just a different story utilizing the same animation.

Because of that, fans who understand this distinctness will realize how much difference there is between these two series, fans can understand. But to chastise other opposing fans while in contempt of one anothers favored series just because you cannot agree eye to eye in regards to the source material being shared between these two series is ludacris.

I'm a fan of both Robotech and Macross, no one can change how much I feel about this. I prefer Robotech only because I admired the western view of SF storytelling. It doesnt' mean I detest the eastern view of SF storytelling, just I prefer Robotech's story over Macross.

But Macross is still highly regarded by myself and others. Just that we do see a clear distinction. While others tend to be confused with the overlapping of similarities due to the sharing of the original source material.

Hence why Robotechx.com was founded to bring a clarity to the mass confusion that plagued the two fandoms of both Robotech and Macross.

It's why we're here.

Mav...
The Sergeant Hartman of Robotech.com
14 years 3 months ago #8858

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by HashiNoUsagi on topic Re:Rebooting Robotech, even if you dislike remakes?

Brooklyn Red Leg wrote:

[
I dunno. I've gotten lots of Macross fans that told me Southern Cross blows chunks and Robotech actually improved it. They seem to be fine dishing it out to Southern Cross fans, but cannot take it in return.

Robotech might have improved Southern Cross, but Southern Cross only brought down Robotech.

I agree with HP that it's crazy to say that Robotech improved Macross. The original Macross series was a great series within itself. A good question would be how many Robotech fans would still be Robotech fans if Robotech was only the Macross series?

Personally I like Robotech better than all of the Macross series together. I think it's amazing that Robotech strung together different series into one storyline, while the various Macross series were original and feel less connected to the original series.
Hasn't done anything stupid enough to get banned from any forum.....yet.
14 years 3 months ago #8860

• Thank you received: 3

Replied by MaverickLSC on topic Re:Rebooting Robotech, even if you dislike remakes?

I agree with HP that it's crazy to say that Robotech improved Macross. The original Macross series was a great series within itself.

That depends on many factors, nostalgia is a powerful force and sometimes that kind of personal preference can make a viewer bias on his choice between Robotech and Macross. Some Robotech fans enjoy the western storytelling that was written into the series editing out all the cultural nuances associated with Japanese culture. Also givien the censorship regulations of the period back in the mid eighties, some parts of Macross had to be edited out due to questionable scenes of violence and nudity.

Speaking for myself, I prefer Robotech because of the western storytelling, macross on its own is a fine series that deserves the reception it had in Japan and internationally. But for the most part, because most of the more famous hard SF novels and short stories have been written by popular western authors. Those concepts and subject matter have been reflected in the mythos of Robotech. Both the novelizations and the TV series reflect this western viewpoint on SF.

Macross is an ambiguity as it involves mostly how culture, in particular Japanese culture, won the war against an alien race with superior technology and numbers. Hence the idol singers tend to determine the final outcome in all macross series climaxes.

Robotech involves the cultural aspect in only the first act, but then the subsequent acts the cultural aspect of war is changed.

In Robotech:The Macross Saga, it was the culture shock that affected the Zentraedi who realize that there was another alternative to war in a society.

In Robotech:The Masters Saga, it was the political and cultural shock the allowed the people of the Robotech Masters to realize that you can have emotions in society and not follow a facist control state, where big brother monitors your every action. The people of earth were able to show them another alternative.

In Robotech:The New Generation Saga, it was the analysis of the invid monitoring the human activity by the planted spy Aerial that lead some invid members to go rogue, realizing that you do not need to follow an order of hierarchy, with a hive mentality like that of an ant farm or a bee's nest. You can be an individual and not be part of the collective consciousness.

These kinds of western storytelling is why I prefer Robotech over Macross. But I still value Macross as a fan and respect it.

A good question would be how many Robotech fans would still be Robotech fans if Robotech was only the Macross series?

I believe many fans would prefer western storytelling. I have friends who arent' into anime, but are into Robotech because Robotech relates more to western society than does Macross. And because of it, some of my friends have seen Macross and felt it alienated them. For myself, I've learned to accept the cultural differences and distinctions and am confortable with both western and eastern storytelling.

But you have to respect peoples inclinations. Not everyone is the same and as well there are no elitists here. Just differing opinions.

But when the differing opinions end up resulting into personal attacks that's when flame wars erupt. It doesnt' take much, one should learn to draw the line and all it takes one person to continue to push the issue that ends up ruining it for everyone.

Mav...
The Sergeant Hartman of Robotech.com
14 years 3 months ago #8865

Replied by Sushispook on topic Re:Rebooting Robotech, even if you dislike remakes?

I'm a whore. Give me great toys and collectibles to snap up, and honestly, I'm probably not going to get too twitchy about reboots and re-imaginings...

I look at the LAM & official interpretations/re-writes this way: We'll always have the original, and if the others succeed, that just means that there's more attention paid to the original source material. Especially for the LAM... Honestly, I fully expect that when it hits, there will be a resurgence in classic merchandise like crazy - even if the merchandise is "classic" robotech, as opposed to reboot related merch.

And at the worst? We still have the original. We can laugh about it. And they'll keep hacking away at the Shadow stuff (that's a whole other ball of wax).
14 years 3 months ago #8869

Replied by Sushispook on topic Re:Rebooting Robotech, even if you dislike remakes?

I, and many people I know, really enjoyed (and still enjoy) Robotech, but didn't get into the original Japanese versions. Quite honestly, most anime is just... well... too Japanese for me - the characters (especially the vocal stylings) come across as too repetitive and always in the same style (example: all captains must be super gruff authoritarians). There are exceptions, of course (I very much enjoyed Cowboy Bebop quite a bit).

I stress this is my opinion - I'm not slagging on anime in general, just stating how this ties into my enjoyment of Robotech versus the source material.
14 years 3 months ago #8870

• SIGHUP
  • SIGHUP's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Admin this!
  • Thank you received: 32

Replied by SIGHUP on topic Re:Rebooting Robotech, even if you dislike remakes?

Sushispook wrote:

I, and many people I know, really enjoyed (and still enjoy) Robotech, but didn't get into the original Japanese versions. Quite honestly, most anime is just... well... too Japanese for me - the characters (especially the vocal stylings) come across as too repetitive and always in the same style (example: all captains must be super gruff authoritarians). There are exceptions, of course (I very much enjoyed Cowboy Bebop quite a bit).

Funny because its completely the opposite for me, which is why I wonder why I like ROBOTECH since that's a dub. When I watch anime I can't stand dubs. It has to be subs. But ROBOTECH is a dub in some ways. Dubs in English don't go well with me because the movement and character reactions are Japanese. Spanish for whatever reason seems to fit in a bit better than English subs.
--David Pena
SIGHUP
www.robotechx.com - a fandom based site | RIP Carl Macek (1951-2010)
14 years 3 months ago #8872

• Brooklyn-Red-Leg
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter

Replied by Brooklyn-Red-Leg on topic Re:Rebooting Robotech, even if you dislike remakes?

HashiNoUsagi wrote:

Robotech might have improved Southern Cross, but Southern Cross only brought down Robotech.

File Attachment:

And this is exactly what I'm talking about when I say I get shit for being a Southern Cross/Masters War fan from people in both Robotech and Macross fandom.
14 years 3 months ago #8876

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:Rebooting Robotech, even if you dislike remakes?

YOU KNOW YOU LOVE IT. BECAUSE WHEN WE SAY SOUTHERN CROSS AS WE TYPE WE THINK OF YOU. :P
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
14 years 3 months ago #8878

Replied by HashiNoUsagi on topic Re:Rebooting Robotech, even if you dislike remakes?

SIGHUP wrote:

Funny because its completely the opposite for me, which is why I wonder why I like ROBOTECH since that's a dub. When I watch anime I can't stand dubs. It has to be subs. But ROBOTECH is a dub in some ways. Dubs in English don't go well with me because the movement and character reactions are Japanese. Spanish for whatever reason seems to fit in a bit better than English subs.

I feel the same way as Sighup does. When you know all about the culture, it's hard to watch the 'Americanized' versions.

It bothers me when people are intentionally ignorant of other cultures. I don't understand how you could want to watch something from another culture ONLY if it's edited to fit your own culture, unless it's offensive. I'm the type of person who likes to learn about different cultures and is fairly accepting of other people's ways. I can accept if you don't like Japanese culture and you're not interested in it, but then don't watch/read/play Japanese media. It bothers me if you don't like Japanese culture, but you want to watch their anime. It goes for anything.

Brooklyn Red Leg wrote:

And this is exactly what I'm talking about when I say I get shit for being a Southern Cross/Masters War fan from people in both Robotech and Macross fandom.

lol, sorry. Honestly if the main character was someone other than Dana, then I might have enjoyed the series.
Hasn't done anything stupid enough to get banned from any forum.....yet.
14 years 3 months ago #8927

Time to create page: 0.475 seconds