Rebooting Robotech, even if you dislike remakes?

• Pizza-the-Hutt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Pizza-the-Hutt on topic Re:Rebooting Robotech, even if you dislike remakes

Gubaba

I don't think it was "fan pressure," since fans hated it.

What I meant was the Macross fans kept pressuring Carl and HG to make something that does not copy or resemble Macross at all and Carl and HG gave in to the pressure and made it with no transforming mechas and a good distance in the future.

The Robotech fans hated it too.I was on the fence from what little I saw but I did not see the other Robotech 3000 clips to make a 100% decision.

And one thing I heard (Please note this is not intended to cause a fight or debate,just a normal question to Gubaba,Please don't ban me for asking) is that is it true that at the convention where Carl showed the first part of Robotech 3000 was consisted mainly of Macross fans? Because word I got is that everyone "boo-ed" Carl and that is what lead to him being let go.

Either way I think Carl should have a hand in Robotech's future.

We'll see if Robotech will be around for a 2nd Reboot.
Last edit: 14 years 3 months ago by Pizza-the-Hutt.
14 years 3 months ago #9012

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:Rebooting Robotech, even if you dislike remakes?

PTH

And one thing I heard (Please note this is not intended to cause a fight or debate,just a normal question to Gubaba,Please don't ban me for asking) is that is it true that at the convention where Carl showed the first part of Robotech 3000 was consisted mainly of Macross fans? Because word I got is that everyone "boo-ed" Carl and that is what lead to him being let go.

THIS IS TRUE. I WAS THERE.

BACK THEN I THOUGHT NOTHING OF IT. JUST FANS WHO WERE VOICING A STRONGER OPINION OF THE GENERAL IDEA OF 3000. THEN I SAW THE POST IN MW. AND IT REPEATED ITSELF ONCE AGAIN AT COMIC CON.

FAST FORWARD TO AX 2002.
SAME THING. THE AX PANEL WAS DIVIDED BY MACROSS FANS ON ONE SIDE AND ROBOTECH FANS FROM THE OTHER. AND IT WAS NOT PRETTY.

TOLD LOT OF FRIENDS NOT TO SHOW THE VIDEOS OF THAT PANEL. FOR WHAT IT WAS BACK THEN FANS MADE UP.

OTHER THAN A FEW BAD APPLES ON BOTH SIDES.

BACK THEN THE REMAKING OF STAFF AND NEW DIRECTION GOT IT GOING.

AND NOW THE RLAM.

YEP...GOOD OLE DAYS
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
14 years 3 months ago #9013

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Gubaba on topic Re:Rebooting Robotech, even if you dislike remakes

Pizza the Hutt wrote:

Gubaba

Jeez...the guy who has been calling me every name in the book from "sissy" to "Nazi" to "toilet paper" to "son of a hoe [sic]" simply because I like one cartoon more than another is now trying to make nice...? How am I supposed to react to that?

Anyway, I have no idea. I wasn't there. I've gone to exactly one Robotech panel in my life, and that was at AX 2004. If you watch the video Memo posted on Youtube, you see how bored I look there.

14 years 3 months ago #9014

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:Rebooting Robotech, even if you dislike remakes?

GUBABA

Jeez...the guy who has been calling me every name in the book from "sissy" to "Nazi" to "toilet paper" to "son of a hoe [sic]" simply because I like one cartoon more than another is now trying to make nice...? How am I supposed to react to that?

WELL, HE IS ON PROBATION.

ONE MISTAKE AND HE IS BANNED.

FOR GOOD.

SO, GUBABA, ON THE VIDEO EH? THAT'S COOL. LOT OF FRIENDS THERE. MACROSS FRIENDS AS WELL. AND CAN'T MISS EXO. :P
14 years 3 months ago #9075

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Gubaba on topic Re:Rebooting Robotech, even if you dislike remakes

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

ONE MISTAKE AND HE IS BANNED.

FOR GOOD.

Okay, I'll play nice then. :)

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

SO, GUBABA, ON THE VIDEO EH? THAT'S COOL. LOT OF FRIENDS THERE. MACROSS FRIENDS AS WELL. AND CAN'T MISS EXO. :P

>EXO<'s there? I didn't notice. Huh...I guess I'll have to go back and watch it again.

EDIT: Oh, and regarding Pizza and I "switching accounts" :woohoo: , let me put it this way: I'm not interested in Shadow Rising in the slightest, but that doesn't mean I think it won't and/or shouldn't come out. I'd imagine that HG is working on it, and I imagine it'll be out eventually. I think the RLAM is a dicier prospect, but that's just based on observation. I don't claim any kind of insider knowledge or prophetic powers. In other words, I could very well be wrong, and it could all arrive with a big fanfare sometime in the next few years. No skin off my nose either way.
Last edit: 14 years 3 months ago by Gubaba.
14 years 3 months ago #9080

• blackconvoy_D01
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by blackconvoy_D01 on topic Re:Rebooting Robotech, even if you dislike remakes?

after seeing the visuals on the new macross fever game in japan, there shuld be a very serious movement to reinvent the original animation

My appreciation pics page:
www.flickr.com/photos/26350372@N04/
Last edit: 14 years 3 months ago by blackconvoy_D01.
14 years 3 months ago #9081

• SIGHUP
  • SIGHUP's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Admin this!
  • Thank you received: 32

Replied by SIGHUP on topic Re:Rebooting Robotech, even if you dislike remakes?

Holy Cow! This is amazing! My favorite anime Macross reanimated is a sight for sore eyes. The only thing I disliked was the more agreesive Ichijo. But what are you gonna do revive poor Anhiro Hase. That guy's voice will never be replaced for me. He was Hikaru!
--David Pena
SIGHUP
www.robotechx.com - a fandom based site | RIP Carl Macek (1951-2010)
14 years 3 months ago #9086

ACTUALLY, I WOULD LIKE IT MORE FRONTIER LIKE.

CELL SHADING MORE DARKER WOULD MAKE IT LESS CLEAN AND WAXY.

GUBABA

I'm not interested in Shadow Rising in the slightest, but that doesn't mean I think it won't and/or shouldn't come out. I'd imagine that HG is working on it, and I imagine it'll be out eventually. I think the RLAM is a dicier prospect, but that's just based on observation. I don't claim any kind of insider knowledge or prophetic powers. In other words, I could very well be wrong, and it could all arrive with a big fanfare sometime in the next few years. No skin off my nose either way.

HA! YOU LOOKING FOR BIGGER FISH TO FRY?

I THOUGHT AT ONE TIME SETO AND PTH WERE FRIENDS. BUT THEN IT WENT TO THE USUAL.

BUT TO LIKE IT OR NOT DOES NOT BOTHER ME.

COMING HERE AND HAVING A GOOD CHAT IS WHAT MATTERS.
14 years 3 months ago #9090

• Brooklyn-Red-Leg
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by Brooklyn-Red-Leg on topic Re:Rebooting Robotech, even if you dislike remakes?

If there was to be a reboot of Robotech, in otherwords all new animation etc, there is no reason to retain the actual Macross designs (legally, morally or whatever you like). For that matter, the series would need to be far more unified than it is now (1 main UEF military dress uniform with little variation from start to finish) including abandoning things like rank-derived mecha, body armor (good-bye unique Southern Cross designs), small arms (another piece of Southern Cross gone) and so on. Cut down and/or eliminate stupid anime tropes (no painting high performance fighters candy apple red/pink etc, no transforming space cruisers and few, if any, ships that are basically mobile guns). Reduce and/or eliminate useless technobabble (Shadow Chronicles was rife with it). No more long haired hippy military personnel (sorry, pet peeve of mine).

There are numerous designs from The Sentinels and the various Robotech comics that have come out over the years that could fill in the gaps where needed (especially with abandoning Macross). They retain just enough of the aesthetics of the old designs without stepping all over Big West's & Studio Nue's toes. These include the 'REF Destroids' that only need slight revisions (for example: I would have the MAC III's 3x40cm cannons be beam cannons mounted upon a Battleship-style turret) and the 'ersatz' Zentraedi Battlepods (Lotzor & Relaug).

The story would need to be far more cohesive than it is now. Things that weren't properly explained before need to be fleshed out. And for God's sake, don't destroy the SDF-01 or SDF-02. That way no more ridiculous 'SDF-02 is in Macross City' style debates. Give the Spartas in Transport/Gladiator modes an armored driver's station, so no more crappy arguments about how the Hovertank sucks ass. That and no one in their right military mind would put blades on an Anti-Armor Cyclone (VR-041 Grenadier). Its there to be a heavy assault infantry platform, not go mano-a-mano with an Invid Shocktrooper.
14 years 3 months ago #9092

• Pizza-the-Hutt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Pizza-the-Hutt on topic Re:Rebooting Robotech, even if you dislike remakes

Uhh memo

That is not why I decided to respond to a Macross fan nicely! Got it!,Gubaba was kind in his reply to me in the Yamato thread when he cleared up what he meant about how I should look into the Robotech art book 1 and since he was actually showing kindsness I responded back with kindness.Not because of probation status.

Gubaba
Sorry I thot you was among that group Memo told me about that he clarified and I thot that is what caused the big Macross=Robotech fanwar because I was told the 2 were about to football tackle eachother and with tripods.

back to subject
That is why I think there can't be a reboot of the series because Robotech would be "damned if they do,damned if they don't" reboot since Robotech fans will dislike it without changing mechas or big powerful ships.

Robotech is something that cannot survive if anything was made original for the franchise and Robotech 3000 is proof of that.
14 years 3 months ago #9094

Time to create page: 0.520 seconds