Rebooting Robotech, even if you dislike remakes?

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:Rebooting Robotech, even if you dislike remakes?

GUBABA

It's funny...I used to think the Robotech voice actors were terrible...until I saw the ADV Macross dub.

THAT'S WHAT HAPPENS WHEN MACROSS FANS ASK FOR TO MUCH.

:blink:
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
14 years 3 months ago #9180

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Gubaba on topic Re:Rebooting Robotech, even if you dislike remakes

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

GUBABA

It's funny...I used to think the Robotech voice actors were terrible...until I saw the ADV Macross dub.

THAT'S WHAT HAPPENS WHEN MACROSS FANS ASK FOR TO MUCH.

:blink:

Ooh, flame bait! :laugh:

I never really understood why ADV was coming out with it in the first place. The AnimEigo edition was excellent, and was only three years old at that point. ADV used exactly the same restored footage that AnimEigo did. Adding a dub...well, it would've been nice if it had been done well, but I'm not sure it was worth re-releasing the whole series.

Now if they had waited, and used the Japanese Remaster that came out a couple of years ago in Japan, they would've had something quite different from the AnimEigo version, and they would've been justified in releasing the whole thing again.

I other words, I don't think Macross fans asked for too much, since I don't think anyone was clamoring for the ADV release.
14 years 3 months ago #9182

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:Rebooting Robotech, even if you dislike remakes?

MACROSS FANS AT CON RT PANELS WOULD ASK FOR IT.

EVEN AT ADV PANELS FANS WOULD ALSO ASK FOR IT.

BUT SINCE IT CAME OUT ITS BEEN VERY QUIET.

YOU ONLY HEAR ROBOTECH FANS NOW WANTING ZERO AND FRONTIER TO COME ACROSS.
14 years 3 months ago #9183

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

MACROSS FANS AT CON RT PANELS WOULD ASK FOR IT.

EVEN AT ADV PANELS FANS WOULD ALSO ASK FOR IT.

BUT SINCE IT CAME OUT ITS BEEN VERY QUIET.

YOU ONLY HEAR ROBOTECH FANS NOW WANTING ZERO AND FRONTIER TO COME ACROSS.

Why would they ask ADV? AnimEigo had the rights...

EDIT: And I don't see a whole lot of clamor for it here, for example:
www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=15420
Last edit: 14 years 3 months ago by Gubaba.
14 years 3 months ago #9195

Gubaba

Why would they ask ADV? AnimEigo had the rights...

EDIT: And I don't see a whole lot of clamor for it here, for example:

NOT EVERYONE KNOWS ABOUT THE RIGHTS.

AND THERE IS A WHOLE DIFFERENT WORLD OUT THERE THAN WHATS IN THE FORUMS.
14 years 3 months ago #9198

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by HashiNoUsagi on topic Re:Rebooting Robotech, even if you dislike remakes?

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

FOR ME IT IS EITHER ONE OR THE OTHER. THERE ARE TIMES I HEAR THE JAPANESE VOICES AND JUST GET TUNED OFF.

AND ENGLISH AS WELL.

SOMETIMES I ACTUALLY BELIEVE THAT SPANISH IS BETTER.

HEHEHE

hehe, as I moved into the subbed versions, there were times that the Japanese voices bothered me, so I would switch to English. The Spanish dubs can be pretty good. Unfortunately my Japanese is much better than my Spanish.
Hasn't done anything stupid enough to get banned from any forum.....yet.
14 years 3 months ago #9237

The Spanish dubs can be pretty good.

OI CHICA!

TE VEZ BIEN HERMOSA :P
14 years 3 months ago #9240

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by zinjo on topic Re:Rebooting Robotech, even if you dislike remakes

Gubaba wrote:

Now if they had waited, and used the Japanese Remaster that came out a couple of years ago in Japan, they would've had something quite different from the AnimEigo version, and they would've been justified in releasing the whole thing again.

Well since Big West funded the re-master from their own footage, it would not be available to either Tatsunoko or HG since Big West would have final say as to who could use it outside of Japan. The footage Tatsunoko already owned was all they had rights to. The re-mastered episodes made in Japan remain owned by Big West... ;)

When HG didn't renew the Animeigo license to SDF Macross HG assumed ownership of all Animeigo's remastered footage and inventory. However, the remastered audio used by Animeigo was licensed directly from Big West's masters and thus not available to either HG or ADV (except through already produced DVDs in inventory). Hence the new audio track ADV created for their release.

In other words, I don't think Macross fans asked for too much, since I don't think anyone was clamoring for the ADV release.

I bought the first disc and was dismayed. I figured it would get better with disc two, but it got steadily worse. ADV's adaptation of the dialog really irritated me. So I was faced with continuing to buy the clearly inferior dub or save my money for the upcoming Macross Plus re-master from Japan. I chose Macross Plus and have never regretted it.
14 years 2 months ago #10338

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

zinjo wrote:

Gubaba wrote:

Well since Big West funded the re-master from their own footage, it would not be available to either Tatsunoko or HG since Big West would have final say as to who could use it outside of Japan. The footage Tatsunoko already owned was all they had rights to. The re-mastered episodes made in Japan remain owned by Big West... ;)

True...but if would've made a better release than what they actually DID come out with.
14 years 2 months ago #10340

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

zinjo wrote:

Gubaba wrote:

True...but it would've made a better release than what they actually DID come out with.

Preaching to the choir brother!

I know! Isn't it fun? B)

zinjo wrote:

Yet again it comes down to who owns what and who sided with whom during the court case.

HG could have made amends with Big West during that court case, but instead chose to trademark the name "Macross" in the West, when they knew Big West was trying to do the same.

Big West wouldn't have stopped the Macross Saga in the RT saga from being distributed, since in Japan they take a more cooperative approach to business rather than the predatory approach found in the U.S.

Big West would have released their Macross titles in the West and let RT remain as it was. The difficulty for both would be to effectively distinguish the two in the market.

I don't know about that, since neither side is speaking openly about the situation. Big West won't say anything, and all Harmony Gold will say is, "Well, we'd LIKE to deal wit them, but..."

Maybe Big West is being a dick about everything. Maybe Harmony Gold is. Maybe both are. Maybe neither. We just don't know.
Last edit: 14 years 2 months ago by Gubaba.
14 years 2 months ago #10347

Time to create page: 0.450 seconds