'Robotech LAM' producer launches comicbook co.

• MEMO1DOMINION
  • MEMO1DOMINION's Avatar Topic Author
  • Commander
  • Commander
  • Thank you received: 114

'Robotech LAM' producer launches comicbook co. was created by MEMO1DOMINION

THANKS TO MAV

Netter kickstarts publishing career

'Wanted' producer launches comicbook co.
By MARC GRASER

www.variety.com/article/VR1118021672.html?categoryid=1350&cs=1

After turning to comicbooks as a source for tentpoles, "Wanted" producer Jason Netter is getting into the publishing biz, launching Kickstart Comics.

The company, an imprint of film and TV production shingle Kickstart Entertainment, has already locked down a distribution pact with several major retailers, including Walmart, to produce at least 24 new books over a year. The initial plan is to release four books a month for six months starting this fall.

Naturally, the books are being eyed as potential adaptations as a TV show or film.

Comicbook vet Jimmy Palmiotti and Larry Young, owner of graphic novel-producer AIT/Planet Lar, will oversee and edit the initial run of Kickstart's books.

With marketing support from the likes of Walmart, Netter is trying to eliminate much of the nerdy stigma that still hovers over the comicbook biz. He believes the bigger stores will help get more of the titles into the hands of the masses "through a new, more expansive distribution than comicbooks have had in the past," Netter said, and not just those who visit smaller comicbook stores.

"This is a way to introduce comicbooks to a broader audience," he added.

The comicbook deal represents Walmart's latest retail expansion after spending considerable coin to remodel the electronics sections of its stores to hype its entertainment offerings and reach out to a type of consumer that may not have normally shopped at the retail giant.

At the same time, upping the exposure of Kickstart's books -- and other graphic novels -- would help turn the titles into more well-known properties when a film or TV version eventually hits the screen.

Studios have been eager to adapt comicbooks or graphic novels, believing that the books already boast a built-in fanbase along with their drawn out characters and developed plotlines.

Netter has several comicbook adaptations set up as films at studios around town, including a sequel to "Wanted" and "The Red Star" at Universal; "The Boys" and "Preacher" at Sony; "Monster Attack Network" at Disney; and "Robotech" and "Hench" at Warner Bros. "Crossed," set up with Trigger Street, also has Mike De Luca aboard as producer. The company's TV credits include "Painkiller Jane" for Syfy and the animated "Wolverine and the X-Men" for Nicktoons. It also produces the "Speed Racer" and "Voltron" toons for Nicktoons.

"Graphic novels are just great material," Netter said. "But tons of people aren't exposed to this material."

Netter is just the latest producer to become more active in deciding which books hit the market.

Sam Worthington, who recently formed his own shingle Full Clip Prods., with Michael and John Schwarz, last week announced the first series of titles to hit shelves through a publishing deal with comicbook publisher Radical Studios.

Those include "Patriots," which Worthington co-created with John Schwarz and Morgan O'Neill, about the sacrifice of one of Earth's continents in order to save the other six.

One of the first books Kickstart will launch is "Bad Guys," penned by Phil Eisner, described as a twist on the superhero genre that's told from the point of view of villains. "Rift Raiders," written by Mark Sable, is a time-travel adventure in the vein of "Goonies," while Adam Freeman and Marc Bernardin's "Hero Complex" centers on a superhero who has to move back home with his parents. "Witch," from Terry Matalas and Travis Fickett, is the story of a teenage girl who discovers that she is a witch.

Netter had already been experimenting with getting into the books biz, with "Random Acts of Violence" published by Image Comics in May. Palmiotti, behind issues of "Jonah Hex" and "Painkiller Jane," and Justin Gray ("Jonah Hex" and "Monolith") created the graphic novella about two comic creators whose ultimate horror character creation has gone very wrong. Last year, it published the graphic novel "Back to Brooklyn," created by Palmiotti and comicbook icon Garth Ennis ("The Boys" and "Preacher") through Image Comics.

"The financial model (of publishing comicbooks) isn't great," Netter admitted, with many books lucky to sell around 5,000 copies. The real money comes when they're turned into movies, TV shows and videogames. "Breaking even isn't even in the cards with the initial release. You definitely have to love it."
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
13 years 9 months ago #12941

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• MEMO1DOMINION
  • Commander
  • Commander

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:'Robotech LAM' producer launches comicbook co.

WHAT DOES ALL THIS MEAN?...A BIG GAMBLE.

LOOKS LIKE KICKSTART, PRODUCERS OF ROBOTECH 3000, SHADOW CHRONICLES, SHADOW RISING, ROBOTECH LIVE ACTION MOVIE, IS NOW VENTURING INTO MOVIE ADAPTATION INTO COMICS AS WELL AS BOOKS.

AS PER THE ARTICLE HERE....

With marketing support from the likes of Walmart, Netter is trying to eliminate much of the nerdy stigma that still hovers over the comic book biz. He believes the bigger stores will help get more of the titles into the hands of the masses "through a new, more expansive distribution than comic books have had in the past," Netter said, and not just those who visit smaller comic book stores.

"This is a way to introduce comic books to a broader audience," he added.

The comic book deal represents Walmart's latest retail expansion after spending considerable coin to remodel the electronics sections of its stores to hype its entertainment offerings and reach out to a type of consumer that may not have normally shopped at the retail giant.

NOW WHY WOULD JASON NETTER DO THIS? THAT WOULD BE A GOOD QUESTION RIGHT?

WELL, LETS LOOK MORE AT THE ARTICLE....

At the same time, upping the exposure of Kickstart's books -- and other graphic novels -- would help turn the titles into more well-known properties when a film or TV version eventually hits the screen.

Studios have been eager to adapt comic books or graphic novels, believing that the books already boast a built-in fanbase along with their drawn out characters and developed plot-lines.

NOW HOW IT RELATES TO ROBOTECH LIVE ACTION? A GOOD GAMBLE...

"The financial model (of publishing comic books) isn't great," Netter admitted, with many books lucky to sell around 5,000 copies. The real money comes when they're turned into movies, TV shows and video games. "Breaking even isn't even in the cards with the initial release. You definitely have to love it."

YOU SEE, IT IS POSSIBLE FOR A ROBOTECH LAM BOOK AND SERIES OF BOOKS TO BECOME A T.V.SERIES. OR JUST A SERIES OF BOOKS THAT STILL GENERATE REVENUE.

JASON NETTER IS ALREADY SETTING UP FOR WHAT THE RLAM CAN GIVE AS EXTRA IN REVENUE FOR THE PROPERTY.

FOR FANS, THEY GET BOOKS AND COMICS OUT OF IT AND POSSIBLE T.V.SERIES. AND THE FIRST CLUE WILL BE THE FIRST ROBOTECH LAM BOOK.

B)
Last edit: 13 years 9 months ago by MEMO1DOMINION.
13 years 9 months ago #12942

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Gubaba on topic Re:'Robotech LAM' producer launches comicbook co.

I'm not sure I really get it...comics have been available in "leger retailers" like Borders and Barnes and Noble for at least a decade and a half now. And I believe those stores attract people who actually READ more than Walmart (or Target, or whoever) would.

Of course, with comics, more exposure is always better, but if they REALLY want to get away from the "nerdy stigma," they'd need to produce books that appeal to people other than nerds... in other words, create more "slice-of-life" stories and avoid things like superheroes and science fiction. If they simply produced stuff like Robotech or some kind of superhero adventure story, then they wouldn't really attract a different crowd, no matter which store is hawking the books.

So yeah...IF Kickstart would be producing a Robotech comic (and I hasten to add that NOTHING in the article indicates that they will), I think it would be a possibly good move for Robotech, but a bad move for Kickstart. Comics, in order to be viable, need to move beyond the narrow focus they've generally been in for the last sixty years, and start establishing themselves as simply another medium for storytelling, like TV, movies, and books. They don't need another Robotech comic, they need another Strangers in Paradise or Box Office Poison...something that people who don't usually read comics will respond to.
Last edit: 13 years 9 months ago by Gubaba.
13 years 9 months ago #12944

• MEMO1DOMINION
  • Commander
  • Commander

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:'Robotech LAM' producer launches comicbook co.

Gubaba wrote:

I'm not sure I really get it...comics have been available in "leger retailers" like Borders and Barnes and Noble for at least a decade and a half now. And I believe those stores attract people who actually READ more than Walmart (or Target, or whoever) would.

Of course, with comics, more exposure is always better, but if they REALLY want to get away from the "nerdy stigma," they'd need to produce books that appeal to people other than nerds... in other words, create more "slice-of-life" stories and avoid things like superheroes and science fiction. If they simply produced stuff like Robotech or some kind of superhero adventure story, then they wouldn't really attract a different crowd, no matter which store is hawking the books.

So yeah...IF Kickstart would be producing a Robotech comic (and I hasten to add that NOTHING in the article indicates that they will), I think it would be a possibly good move for Robotech, but a bad move for Kickstart. Comics, in order to be viable, need to move beyond the narrow focus they've generally been in for the last sixty years, and start establishing themselves as simply another medium for storytelling, like TV, movies, and books. They don't need another Robotech comic, they need another Strangers in Paradise or Box Office Poison...something that people who don't usually read comics will respond to.

MUCH OF THAT HAS BEEN DONE AND HAS DONE NO GOOD FOR COMICS..

OR GRAPHIC NOVELS AS WELL.

IF JASON NETTER WANT'S TO INVEST IN ANOTHER OPENING TO CATER PEOPLE WHO DON'T CHECK BARN'S AND NOBLE OR COMIC BOOKS.. BUT GO TO WAL-MART ON A REGULAR BASES.. WHO KNOWS IF THE PLAN WILL WORK. ONE GOES TO WAL MART TO FIND AN ALL ON ONE STORE.. ADDING THE IDEA OF MORE BOOKS TO CATER TO THE SHOPPERS IS NOT A BAD IDEA. IT'S A WAIT AND SEE.
13 years 9 months ago #12945

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Gubaba on topic Re:'Robotech LAM' producer launches comicbook co.

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

IF JASON NETTER WANT'S TO INVEST IN ANOTHER OPENING TO CATER PEOPLE WHO DON'T CHECK BARN'S AND NOBLE OR COMIC BOOKS.. BUT GO TO WAL-MART ON A REGULAR BASES.. WHO KNOWS IF THE PLAN WILL WORK. ONE GOES TO WAL MART TO FIND AN ALL ON ONE STORE.. ADDING THE IDEA OF MORE BOOKS TO CATER TO THE SHOPPERS IS NOT A BAD IDEA. IT'S A WAIT AND SEE.

No, it's not a BAD idea, really...I'm just not sure it's a terribly GOOD idea, either...or, at least, not ENOUGH of a good idea.

Comics are not a genre, they are a storytelling medium, like books, or movies, or TV shows. There are movies available for pretty much every taste a viewer may have. Like romantic comedies? There are tons of movies for you. Horror? Ditto. Science fiction? Oh yeah. Experimental art stories about growing up in Europe? Mais oui. Same with books. Same with TV. But comics have been tied to the idea of superheroes ever since the Comics Code Authority came into being. If people TRULY want comics to be successful, they have to appeal to people who don't ordinarily read comics. Getting the books into Walmart is a step to that end, but without books that people who don't care about superheroes can relate to, I think it'll fizzle.
13 years 9 months ago #12949

• Towgrin
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Towgrin on topic Re:'Robotech LAM' producer launches comicbook co.

Gubaba wrote:

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

No, it's not a BAD idea, really...I'm just not sure it's a terribly GOOD idea, either...or, at least, not ENOUGH of a good idea.

Comics are not a genre, they are a storytelling medium, like books, or movies, or TV shows. There are movies available for pretty much every taste a viewer may have. Like romantic comedies? There are tons of movies for you. Horror? Ditto. Science fiction? Oh yeah. Experimental art stories about growing up in Europe? Mais oui. Same with books. Same with TV. But comics have been tied to the idea of superheroes ever since the Comics Code Authority came into being. If people TRULY want comics to be successful, they have to appeal to people who don't ordinarily read comics. Getting the books into Walmart is a step to that end, but without books that people who don't care about superheroes can relate to, I think it'll fizzle.

I agree with this. I've never cared for comics like some do, and yet, if they did a comic series on, say, the Norman invasion, or the invasion of the Vandals, I'd be interested in that. More non-fiction in that sense would be good as well, as it would also bring some of the younger children to maybe appreciate history, and how the world really works. I'm sure I stepped on some sci-fi fanatics toes, but well, it may be a shot into other genres that could bring comic books out of "geek", or "nerd" obscurity.
13 years 9 months ago #12952

• MEMO1DOMINION
  • Commander
  • Commander

Towgrin wrote:

I agree with this. I've never cared for comics like some do, and yet, if they did a comic series on, say, the Norman invasion, or the invasion of the Vandals, I'd be interested in that. More non-fiction in that sense would be good as well, as it would also bring some of the younger children to maybe appreciate history, and how the world really works. I'm sure I stepped on some sci-fi fanatics toes, but well, it may be a shot into other genres that could bring comic books out of "geek", or "nerd" obscurity.

WELL, JASON NETTER IS LOOKING MORE INTO THE RLAM DEAL AND HOW HE CAN PROBABLY GET INTO MORE OF THE ACTION BESIDES OTHER TITLES. IF HE PRODUCING IT WHY NOT GET SOMETHING MORE OUT OF IT. AND SECURING A DISTRIBUTION DEAL WHERE PEOPLE GO MORE THAN A COMIC BOOK STORE MAKES SENSE. JUST LETS SEE IF HE SCORES BIG INTERNATIONALLY.

ROBOTECH 1985 COMICS ARE WITH WILDSTORM AND DC. BUT THE RLAM IS WITH WB. SO JASON NETTER ALREADY GETTING A PIECE OF THE PIE WITH PRODUCING RLAM AND WOULD BE OBVIOUS THAT HE TRY TO SCORE THE PUBLISHING MATERIAL AS WELL.
13 years 9 months ago #12956

• Thank you received: 13

Replied by Protoculture on topic Re:'Robotech LAM' producer launches comicbook co.

Yawnnn .... seriously, no new RT products apart from rereleases of old WS RT comics?

Wake me up when ACTUAL RT PRODUCTS actually hit the shelves ...
13 years 8 months ago #13254

• MEMO1DOMINION
  • Commander
  • Commander

*SCRATCHES HEAD*

OK RIPVAN WINCKLE.... WILL BE ALONG WHILE. DEAL WAS JUST SIGNED IN 2007 I THINK. USUALLY MOVIE TAKES A LONG WHILE.
13 years 8 months ago #13277

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by zinjo on topic Re:'Robotech LAM' producer launches comicbook co.

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

Towgrin wrote:

WELL, JASON NETTER IS LOOKING MORE INTO THE RLAM DEAL AND HOW HE CAN PROBABLY GET INTO MORE OF THE ACTION BESIDES OTHER TITLES. IF HE PRODUCING IT WHY NOT GET SOMETHING MORE OUT OF IT. AND SECURING A DISTRIBUTION DEAL WHERE PEOPLE GO MORE THAN A COMIC BOOK STORE MAKES SENSE. JUST LETS SEE IF HE SCORES BIG INTERNATIONALLY.

ROBOTECH 1985 COMICS ARE WITH WILDSTORM AND DC. BUT THE RLAM IS WITH WB. SO JASON NETTER ALREADY GETTING A PIECE OF THE PIE WITH PRODUCING RLAM AND WOULD BE OBVIOUS THAT HE TRY TO SCORE THE PUBLISHING MATERIAL AS WELL.

LOL, that's all Netter cares about is movie deals! For him comics are the story boards for his next movie pitch to the studios.

I find the idea more flash and little substance. I can't speak for others but Walmart is NOT the place I go to purchase literature OF ANY KIND! I see the magazine racks and the sad little book collections they carry and walk on to the multimedia section or whatever else department I am there to see.

Gubaba makes a very strong point. Manga in Japan is treated like this. Its another story telling medium and it works very well.

Unfortunately the entertainment industry in the US has turned from being innovators to followers and that's truly unfortunate...
Last edit: 13 years 8 months ago by zinjo.
13 years 8 months ago #13288

Time to create page: 0.548 seconds