Okay, this irks me a bit

• LadyGrimes
  • LadyGrimes's Avatar Topic Author
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master
  • Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!
  • Thank you received: 947

Okay, this irks me a bit was created by LadyGrimes

I hate to bring this up, but it kinda irritates me so I'm going to anyway!

why are people afraid of joining this site?
is it considered a cult or something, why does it matter?
*shakes head*

Thank you @AB for my adorable new avatar! <3
14 years 11 months ago #3961

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• SIGHUP
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Admin this!
  • Thank you received: 32

Replied by SIGHUP on topic Re:Okay, this irks me a bit

I'd say because they're scared of you, I Know I am!

How do you know they're scared to? Maybe the site needs more content.
--David Pena
SIGHUP
www.robotechx.com - a fandom based site | RIP Carl Macek (1951-2010)
14 years 11 months ago #3962

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Adam_Schiller on topic Re:Okay, this irks me a bit

We can really only hypothesise unless somehow we just start asking people who refuse to join why they choose to do so. Off the top of my head, here's a few potential reasons:

1) Robotech.com is seen as the "premier" Robotech site for fans to talk.
2) Not enough people are interested in Robotech.
3) People are interested in Robotech, but not enough are serious enough about it to actually go online and join the fandom.
4) Robotech fandom has a bad stigma due to the fierce rivalries between pro-Yune and anti-Yune factions.
5) People are weirded-out by the disproportionate amount of fans from Southern California.
6) Clear lack of intelligent discussion fails to enthrall the website's casual onlookers.
7) People feel that the website is not very unique, and only offers what other Robotech sites have offered already for years.
8) Distinct lack of iconic leadership around-which to rally a "new generation" of fandom.
9) Website does not have enough "e-drama" with fights and highly-opinionated debates to convince people it might be fun to join.
10) The Shadow Chronicles is on the top banner, thereby alienating even devoted fans who prefer to think of Robotech as centering around The Macross Saga or, at the minimum, the original animated series.
14 years 11 months ago #3964

• SIGHUP
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Admin this!

Adam_Schiller wrote:

We can really only hypothesise unless somehow we just start asking people who refuse to join why they choose to do so. Off the top of my head, here's a few potential reasons:

3) People are interested in Robotech, but not enough are serious enough about it to actually go online and join the fandom.
4) Robotech fandom has a bad stigma due to the fierce rivalries between pro-Yune and anti-Yune factions.
5) People are weirded-out by the disproportionate amount of fans from Southern California.
6) Clear lack of intelligent discussion fails to enthrall the website's casual onlookers.
7) People feel that the website is not very unique, and only offers what other Robotech sites have offered already for years.
8) Distinct lack of iconic leadership around-which to rally a "new generation" of fandom.
9) Website does not have enough "e-drama" with fights and highly-opinionated debates to convince people it might be fun to join.
10) The Shadow Chronicles is on the top banner, thereby alienating even devoted fans who prefer to think of Robotech as centering around The Macross Saga or, at the minimum, the original animated series.

Oooh all very good points, got my brain rattling a little. You've pretty much covered them all, I think you hit the "nail on the head" or whatever that cheesy analogy is.

I only have one reply to #10, the only reason why the "default" banner is the SC is due to it being to most current series. The basic idea is that people have a choice of which saga they want as their "banner" based on personal preference. Perhaps we should put this to a vote.

Lets face it, there is nothing else going on in the Robotech world, so picking at the fandom with a fine tooth comb could be a good exercise.
--David Pena
SIGHUP
14 years 11 months ago #3965

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

Replied by LadyGrimes on topic Re:Okay, this irks me a bit

oh you!

14 years 11 months ago #3966

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

Replied by LadyGrimes on topic Re:Okay, this irks me a bit

Adam_Schiller wrote:

its because they prefer an official site to one with fans... stupid as it may be but official automatically makes something better!

well fuckin a, let me go take a shit in a box and slap an official seal on it, because it means its better! :woohoo:

14 years 11 months ago #3968

Replied by Adam_Schiller on topic Re:Okay, this irks me a bit

Unfortunately, it's true that an official site will always be more popular amongst the more-casual of fans, regardless of the fandom-in-question. The only way to battle this, I say, is to fight to attract the more-serious fans. Anything else would likely stand to be an exercise in futility.

Mlle. Williams, for starting this thread--mercí.
Last edit: 14 years 11 months ago by Adam_Schiller.
14 years 11 months ago #3970

• Last_Valk_Standing
  • REF Member
  • REF Member
  • SDF-1 Shellback
  • Thank you received: 2

Replied by Last_Valk_Standing on topic Re:Okay, this irks me a bit

eh this site is by far better and actually has a pretty active forums. RT.com seems dead to me. I think it is more that alot of ppl are frustrated with the delay in the LAM and new animated series. We get something new ppl will be online more.

Although to be honest I think this site is alot better. Most posts over there are negative..Unless Happy gets in there with that sharp tounge and then it gets entertaining :D

This site doesn't do what RT.COM does and that is constantly crash, Boot ppl for mentioning anything about BW, Allows fights to break out on threads to the point of turning me off of the site.

Hey you know the mantra!

"IF YOU BUILD IT, THEY WILL COME..."

I LOVE #5 on that list btw! LMAO!!
Co-Commander, Vulture Flight 59th Combined Tactical Operations Group (Gamma Wing)

Member of AkL
Huge fan of Attention On Deck website.

Official Reporter for MNN (Macross News Network LOL)
14 years 11 months ago #3974

Replied by HashiNoUsagi on topic Re:Okay, this irks me a bit

I think it's mostly because the forums aren't super active. When I first saw the site I saw the forums were pretty dead and didn't come back until I met Memo and Isamu and they told me to join.

I'm up for a change to the banner. Even though I get that SC is the newest series, it's not the most popular one. It's all about the first impression people get when they first go to a site. Most likely someone who first visits the site isn't going to realize they can change the banner.

The rt.com forums are basically the same, but with 100x's the people. It's hard to compete with that. The rt.com site also offers a lot more information.

Personally I like this site better. You get to be closer to people and get to know them better. If you ask me, you don't need to build a huge community, but to get enough people here, to create more meaningful conversations.
Hasn't done anything stupid enough to get banned from any forum.....yet.
14 years 11 months ago #3975

• SIGHUP
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Admin this!

Well the entire point of this site was not to compete against the official site. It was simply meant to be an outlet for fans who felt restricted in the Official site for the obvious reasons.

Trying to stay as neutral as possible, not so much a "rebel base" if you will, but at least a "free ideas" base. Anyway we'll put it up to a vote for what the default banner of the website should be.

Macross
Master
New Gen
SC

Heh I bet its going to be Macross.

@ Mr. Schiller

You had a great idea, not sure if it got deleted by you/someone else/accident. But you had a nice idea for the layout of the frontpage.

I'm not going crazy am I?
--David Pena
SIGHUP
14 years 11 months ago #3979

Time to create page: 0.481 seconds