What would you change in 'Macross Saga'?

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master
  • Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!
  • Thank you received: 947

Replied by LadyGrimes on topic What would you change in 'Macross Saga'?

Alpha Bravo wrote:

LadyGrimes wrote: Ben was a total bawss tbh. It's a shame he was killed off. What a waste of a great character :(

And can you believe that smug superiority displayed by Max as he gloated over him? I bet the reason Ben was upset was because Max was stealing his kills

Probably was the little asshat. Hell I don't even recall Max ever being upset over Ben's death either. Max probably wanted his steak dinner too. What a sneaky evil son of a bitch.

Thank you @AB for my adorable new avatar! <3
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alpha Bravo
7 years 9 months ago #23005

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Peter Young
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Peter Young on topic What would you change in 'Macross Saga'?

LadyGrimes wrote: Probably was the little asshat. Hell I don't even recall Max ever being upset over Ben's death either. Max probably wanted his steak dinner too. What a sneaky evil son of a bitch.

When was the last time you saw episode #19? First thing Max did when Ben died was signing a cross. And the next episode, he and Rick said someting about it when Rick, as acting commander, tried to write a letter to Ben's parents. With Rick and Max being both introvert personalities, they are more likely to mourn in silence. Ben and Roy were the extravert characters.

I recently saw # 8 again. Ben was full of himself, but did not even shot one enemy down. Between that episode and his death, not a single scene involved him accomplishing something others couldn't. He was comic relief, at best.

Doesn't mean he had to die - but his personality had no dept in he series.
Usually a storyteller's hint the character won't last.
Feel more sorry for Kim, Sammy and Vanessa than for him.
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by Peter Young.
7 years 9 months ago #23009

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

Peter Young wrote:

LadyGrimes wrote: Probably was the little asshat. Hell I don't even recall Max ever being upset over Ben's death either. Max probably wanted his steak dinner too. What a sneaky evil son of a bitch.

When was the last time you saw episode #19? First thing Max did when Ben died was signing a cross. And the next episode, he and Rick said someting about it when Rick, as acting commander, tried to write a letter to Ben's parents. With Rick and Max being both introvert personalities, they are more likely to mourn in silence. Ben and Roy were the extravert characters.

I recently saw # 8 again. Ben was full of himself, but did not even shot one enemy down. Between that episode and his death, not a single scene involved him accomplishing something others couldn't. He was comic relief, at best.

Doesn't mean he had to die - but his personality had no dept in he series.
Usually a storyteller's hint the character won't last.
Feel more sorry for Kim, Sammy and Vanessa than for him.

It was Rick that signed the cross when Ben died. it's even mentioned in the novel too. It was obvious Rick was more affected by his death than Max, and that's basically what I was pointing out along with a side of snark and humor.

And comic relief or not Ben was a great character and probably could've become more had he lived longer.

7 years 9 months ago #23010

• Thank you received: 573

Replied by Alpha Bravo on topic What would you change in 'Macross Saga'?

Peter Young wrote: I recently saw # 8 again. Ben was full of himself, but did not even shot one enemy down. Between that episode and his death, not a single scene involved him accomplishing something others couldn't. He was comic relief, at best.

Ben was part of a 3-man squad that fought their way through (and almost OUT of) a Zentraedi Battlecruiser, and would have escaped were it not for the surprise of Breetai being able to survive the vacuum of space.
"Offers that are selected that the deposit paid the amount that we do not decide, or the pool, sipping mulled wine, and in addition you can play table tennis, there is one drawback, I do not have rights." - random spambot (translated)
The following user(s) said Thank You: LadyGrimes
7 years 9 months ago #23013

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

Alpha Bravo wrote:

Peter Young wrote: I recently saw # 8 again. Ben was full of himself, but did not even shot one enemy down. Between that episode and his death, not a single scene involved him accomplishing something others couldn't. He was comic relief, at best.

Ben was part of a 3-man squad that fought their way through (and almost OUT of) a Zentraedi Battlecruiser, and would have escaped were it not for the surprise of Breetai being able to survive the vacuum of space.

Nuff said.

7 years 9 months ago #23020

• Peter Young
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Did Ben contribute to that escape?

Lisa: kept her head cool during the interrogation; thought of taking pictures; saved Rick from drowning
Rick: came up with a list to distract the guard; saved Lisa from a Zentraedi-soldier
Max: disguised a veritech as a Zentraedi; freed the others from the cell

Exactly what did Ben add to all of this?
He tagged along, but what did he contribute to the mission?

Face it, he was the Annie Labelle of the Vermillion Squadron!
7 years 9 months ago #23028

Peter Young wrote: Did Ben contribute to that escape?

Lisa: kept her head cool during the interrogation; thought of taking pictures; saved Rick from drowning
Rick: came up with a list to distract the guard; saved Lisa from a Zentraedi-soldier
Max: disguised a veritech as a Zentraedi; freed the others from the cell

Exactly what did Ben add to all of this?
He tagged along, but what did he contribute to the mission?

Face it, he was the Annie Labelle of the Vermillion Squadron!

What did the Vietnam Vets contribute to their mission? Pick any one individual at random, and tell him he just tagged along.
"Offers that are selected that the deposit paid the amount that we do not decide, or the pool, sipping mulled wine, and in addition you can play table tennis, there is one drawback, I do not have rights." - random spambot (translated)
7 years 9 months ago #23031

• Peter Young
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Alpha Bravo, your last post makes me feel uncomfortable.

We were talking about the merits, or lack thereof, of a fictional character. Was there no other way of making your point than refering to reallife veterans? It seems disrespectful to the latter.

Not in the least because of the emotional trauma Vietnam veterans developed because they got send there by politicians, only to be blamed by the public on returning.

Please, don't sink down to the level of Lynn Kyle.
7 years 9 months ago #23063

Peter Young wrote: Alpha Bravo, your last post makes me feel uncomfortable.

We were talking about the merits, or lack thereof, of a fictional character. Was there no other way of making your point than refering to reallife veterans? It seems disrespectful to the latter.

Not in the least because of the emotional trauma Vietnam veterans developed because they got send there by politicians, only to be blamed by the public on returning.

Please, don't sink down to the level of Lynn Kyle.

I'm not sinking to anyone's level. If the post made you uncomfortable, then it made its point. Ben was a veteran of the First Robotech War, and I would dare you to tell him to his face that he was just tagging along, as much as I would any real life veteran. Ben is a fictional character, but to him, his experiences were just as real as anyone else's.

He'd probably knock your lights out.
7 years 9 months ago #23067

Time to create page: 0.521 seconds