Your favorite and least favorite character?

• Thank you received: 18

Replied by City of Fright on topic Your favorite and least favorite character?

So basically they wanted an interchangeable songstress without coming up with a new character from time to time. I only know of one interchangeable character that does that well and he's already done that thirteen times.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alpha Bravo
7 years 4 months ago #24615

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• LadyGrimes
  • LadyGrimes's Avatar Topic Author
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master
  • Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!
  • Thank you received: 947

Replied by LadyGrimes on topic Your favorite and least favorite character?

Alpha Bravo wrote:

City of Fright wrote: I'm just going to put in my choice of near the top of the list of bad characters with Janice the android.
I may not know much about the character (or any character for that matter) but from her last animated appearance she was rather pointless. Who came up with this character and why, and why did they bother to use her? You'd think a walking, talking holographic projector would have a more important function than that of a self aware karaoke machine. She could look like anyone, sneak up on anyone, kill anyone, gain access to secure files and facilities and sabotage equipment. The very least she should of had a bomb in her gut or head, I hear head bombs are popular with androids these days, I don't know why. If I were to pick any android that had a better roll and or more important function than Janice it would be Kos-mos from Xenosaga

Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

I think reason being they were unsure if they would be able to continue using Minmay, and they needed a Pseudo-Minmay. That's why Janice is a walking karaoke machine.

This is basically it from what I remember reading. And IIRC wasn't Minmei also killed off in Prelude to TSC?

Thank you @AB for my adorable new avatar! <3
7 years 4 months ago #24620

• Thank you received: 573

Replied by Alpha Bravo on topic Your favorite and least favorite character?

LadyGrimes wrote:

Alpha Bravo wrote:

City of Fright wrote: I'm just going to put in my choice of near the top of the list of bad characters with Janice the android.
I may not know much about the character (or any character for that matter) but from her last animated appearance she was rather pointless. Who came up with this character and why, and why did they bother to use her? You'd think a walking, talking holographic projector would have a more important function than that of a self aware karaoke machine. She could look like anyone, sneak up on anyone, kill anyone, gain access to secure files and facilities and sabotage equipment. The very least she should of had a bomb in her gut or head, I hear head bombs are popular with androids these days, I don't know why. If I were to pick any android that had a better roll and or more important function than Janice it would be Kos-mos from Xenosaga

I think reason being they were unsure if they would be able to continue using Minmay, and they needed a Pseudo-Minmay. That's why Janice is a walking karaoke machine.

This is basically it from what I remember reading. And IIRC wasn't Minmei also killed off in Prelude to TSC?

Edwards killed Kyle and kidnapped Minmay. Then she was rescued.
"Offers that are selected that the deposit paid the amount that we do not decide, or the pool, sipping mulled wine, and in addition you can play table tennis, there is one drawback, I do not have rights." - random spambot (translated)
The following user(s) said Thank You: LadyGrimes
7 years 4 months ago #24623

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

Alpha Bravo wrote:

LadyGrimes wrote:

Alpha Bravo wrote:

They probably should've just killed her off tbh. I mean, they can't use her right? Just kill her off and be done with it lol

We've already seen how they made use of Rick Hunter. Show him for a split second and then force him into a black hole. smh

7 years 4 months ago #24629

LadyGrimes wrote:

Alpha Bravo wrote:

LadyGrimes wrote:

Alpha Bravo wrote:

They probably should've just killed her off tbh. I mean, they can't use her right? Just kill her off and be done with it lol

We've already seen how they made use of Rick Hunter. Show him for a split second and then force him into a black hole. smh

That's the part that makes no sense. In addition to the visual redesign, Rick Hunter is not Hikaru Ichijyo. They can use him as much as they want! They just didn't.
"Offers that are selected that the deposit paid the amount that we do not decide, or the pool, sipping mulled wine, and in addition you can play table tennis, there is one drawback, I do not have rights." - random spambot (translated)
7 years 4 months ago #24633

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

Alpha Bravo wrote:

LadyGrimes wrote:

Alpha Bravo wrote:

LadyGrimes wrote:

Alpha Bravo wrote:

That's the part that makes no sense. In addition to the visual redesign, Rick Hunter is not Hikaru Ichijyo. They can use him as much as they want! They just didn't.

Yeah I agree it doesn't make sense, but I think it's because they don't want to use the macross characters at all. They either want to kill them off or just let them fade into the background so they can focus on telling a new story. The only downside to this is their story telling is weak and their characters are too one dimensional. Hell the fanfiction I've read is better, and not to gloat but even I can write better original characters than they can.

They need new writers and ideas if they ever hope to reboot the franchise. No offense to the Yunes but their writing stinks. They need someone else.

7 years 4 months ago #24636

• Thank you received: 18

Replied by City of Fright on topic Your favorite and least favorite character?

I for one would like to see a whole new cast of characters, remove all the current characters as if they were killed off or lost and forgotten to time generations ago with little to no mention as to who they were. A new story in my opinion (concerning this franchise at least) should have new characters and new situations, not characters or issues related to past characters or old plots. Maintaining such a cast of characters and story points could weigh down and weaken a potentially enjoyable production. I don't always like watching something new only to find there is this whole list of back-characters and story that someone deemed important when they really don't contribute to new development or even show up. How many more flashbacks does Arrow really need, how many Skywalkers does it take to save universe or should I say how long does it take, why is the Enterprise the only ship in the quadrant and why do musical artists keep rehashing Christmas music year after year. Doesn't anyone know the definition of new and original. I'm not saying that all continuations or reboots are bad, just overdone and sometimes badly especially if you don't know how to do anything else or just haven't tried. Of course someone will say something like "because it makes us money" or "there's no money in it" to voice their argument for what they do, but here is my argument, the difference between talented and very talented is not money.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LadyGrimes, Alpha Bravo
7 years 4 months ago #24640

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

City of Fright wrote: I for one would like to see a whole new cast of characters, remove all the current characters as if they were killed off or lost and forgotten to time generations ago with little to no mention as to who they were. A new story in my opinion (concerning this franchise at least) should have new characters and new situations, not characters or issues related to past characters or old plots. Maintaining such a cast of characters and story points could weigh down and weaken a potentially enjoyable production. I don't always like watching something new only to find there is this whole list of back-characters and story that someone deemed important when they really don't contribute to new development or even show up. How many more flashbacks does Arrow really need, how many Skywalkers does it take to save universe or should I say how long does it take, why is the Enterprise the only ship in the quadrant and why do musical artists keep rehashing Christmas music year after year. Doesn't anyone know the definition of new and original. I'm not saying that all continuations or reboots are bad, just overdone and sometimes badly especially if you don't know how to do anything else or just haven't tried. Of course someone will say something like "because it makes us money" or "there's no money in it" to voice their argument for what they do, but here is my argument, the difference between talented and very talented is not money.

I agree and it can be done they just need to find the right talented people to do it. Robert Kirkman is a good example of originality. Yes his series has zombies in it but he's made the human survivors of his story the focus instead and has shown his audiences how life devolves over time while these survivors are struggling to hold on to their humanity.

And now I'm curious to see how Kirkman would handle a new Robotech story. I bet he could do it justice.

7 years 4 months ago #24641

City of Fright wrote: ...why is the Enterprise the only ship in the quadrant...

Space is really big, man
7 years 4 months ago #24644

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

Alpha Bravo wrote:

City of Fright wrote: ...why is the Enterprise the only ship in the quadrant...

Space is really big, man

It's astronomical

7 years 4 months ago #24647

Time to create page: 0.428 seconds