What do you think is the beef between Dana & Mia?

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Sushispook on topic Re: What do you think is the beef between Dana & Mia?

I looked up the wikipedia entry for Dana Sterling, and saw that they do mention a brother in one of the episodes of the Masters Saga, but they never really mention him again, and that Macek did consider that canon - that there really was a brother they didn't talk about. And while that same wikipedia article says that Rolf was the legal guardian for both Dana and Bowie, let's be honest - it *is* wikipedia. Here's the article and section in question: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dana_Sterling#Other_relatives

Again, it's fun hearing people's interpretations. :)

See, I look at Rand's comment as a perfect explanation for why xenophobia would be rampant: If humanity is so good at finding reasons to hate and kill each other, then it's going to be that much easier to hate non-humans. I mean, I would love to believe that humanity eventually comes to a point where they realize all the alien-hate is all bullshit, but I don't think they're going to be capable of it until after the end of the 3rd water, and actual civilization gets back on track. :)
11 years 10 months ago #18874

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Gubaba on topic Re: What do you think is the beef between Dana & Mia?

Sushispook wrote:

I looked up the wikipedia entry for Dana Sterling, and saw that they do mention a brother in one of the episodes of the Masters Saga, but they never really mention him again,...

Well, this is one of those loose ends left by the original series. In Southern Cross, Jeanne had a brother, and they simply forgot to cut him out of Robotech.
11 years 10 months ago #18878

• Thank you received: 3

Replied by MaverickLSC on topic Re: What do you think is the beef between Dana & Mia?

What do you think is the beef between Dana & Mia?

I think 'Prelude to the shadow chronicles' offers insight to this new canon. * Remembering that the Sentinels are considered secondary canon.

In Prelude,

Dana is walking in the launch bay when she sees Rem and Cabel, Rem we know is a Zor clone. For Dana seeing a man that eriely reminds herself of her lost love of Zor, she couldnt' tear her eyes away from Rem.

Rem did caught her glaring, he must of felt the need to start the conversation by asking her, 'Do I know you?'

Obviously, this part of the canon considers Rem a dead ringer to Zor.

Dana's response was, 'In another lifetime...'. Confirming that Rem's physical appearance reminded her of Zor. Stiring up old memories.

So, where does Maia fit into this?

Well Maia shows up and startles Dana, Maia calls out her name but Dana turns away, head sulking while the reader is focused on Dana's reaction to the situation one must not be distracted to notice how close of a personal space there is between Rem and Maia.

Can we say too close for comfort. Body language tells alot and in that panel Maia and Rem seem to be touching shoulder to shoulder.

Indeed, they must know each other quite well! ;)

Commander Daryl Taylor tries to acknowledge in conversation with Maia on what just happened, mentioning that 'She(Dana) is still not talking', but Maia instead changed the conversation avoiding to answer that particular question.

Does Dana have a complex regarding clones like Rem that look identical to her Zor? Some people would and worst of all is that if Maia is having a relationship with Rem, would that explain Dana's refusal to talk to Maia.

If Dana has a complex she can't deal with, that'll explain the rift between her sister and her.

She can't handle the fact that Zor in some way is still alive in Rem, but she can't have him because Maia is with him ;)

Remember when Lisa first saw Kyle? Kyle reminded of her lost love Karl Riber... Remember Lisa's reaction in seeing Kyle with Minmei? Remember her attitude to Minmei?

Familiar? ;)

Btw, I'm throwing this bone out there. But are Kyle and Karl Riber in fact clones? (one and the same individual) ;)

Mav...
The Sergeant Hartman of Robotech.com
Last edit: 11 years 10 months ago by MaverickLSC.
11 years 10 months ago #18880

• aka_s2h
  • aka_s2h's Avatar Topic Author
  • Micronian
  • Micronian
  • Thank you received: 2

Replied by aka_s2h on topic Re: What do you think is the beef between Dana & Mia?

I think you are onto something Mav
11 years 10 months ago #18894

Replied by rtsurfer on topic Re: What do you think is the beef between Dana & Mia?

Once she walks past Rem and addresses Dana the scene is confusing. We don't know if Dana and Rem would have had a conversation or not. Is Maia interrupting her boyfriend and Dana or is she just trying to talk to her sister. All three stand in close proximity with surprise, shock, or maybe confusion on their faces then all three have sadness or maybe disappointment as Dana walks off.
I'm not so sure the closeness of their proximity to each other means anything, it's more like Maia walked past Rem standing at an angle as he addressed Dana then her turning to watch her sister walk off. Leading into this scene Daryl and Maia are walking as close if not closer than her and Rem, does that mean she's being intimate with both of them?
Daryl's comments suggest whatever the problem is it's preexisting, if that's the case why doesn't Rem know who Dana is. Oops, Maia forgot to tell him that her sister was in love with another clone of Zor and now she refuses to talk to her because she is dating him? Beyond that, I would think that Rem and Cabel would know who was commanding the forces that brought their people back home after all those years, especially if he was intimate with her sister.
I wouldn't be surprised if a tortured love triangle angle was what Tommy was going for with that scene, but that's not necessarily the way it came across at least to me.

As for the resembles Zor Prime deal, yes I can see her being troubled by it especially if that is the first time they have met. Although as I stated above I think they would know who each other are and probably have met if she did in fact bring the Master's survivor's home.
Just as Lisa was troubled by the resemblance between Riber and Kyle. That was a mess as Lisa was jealous of Minmei, both in relation to Rick and Kyle, and Rick was jealous of Minmei and Kyle plus probably the attention he was getting from Lisa and the other women.

Where does the Kyle is Riber's clone speculation come from? You were doing pretty good until you threw that one out there :laugh: How do you come up with some of your crazy and unfounded speculations? :blink:
"rtsurfer's two cent..." ;O)

rtsurfer's ROBOTECH archive
11 years 10 months ago #18898

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re: What do you think is the beef between Dana & Mia?

OK, ON THE MASTERS DANA HAS A BELIEF ABOUT ALIENS. EVEN THOUGHT SHE IS HALF ZENTRADI HERSELF.

ROBOTECH THE MASTERS
Ep. 48 DEJA VU
HOSPITAL SCENE WHEN DANA MEETS ZOR.
DANA TELLS ZOR “YOU ALIENS ARE ALL ALIKE".

WEIRD THAT MAIA PROUDS HERSELF BEING AN ALIEN TO MARCUS YET HER SISTER DANA HAS SOMETHING AGAINST THEM WHEN IN FRONT OF ZOR.

I WOULD THINK MAYBE THERE STILL SOME RESENTMENT THERE.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
Last edit: 11 years 10 months ago by MEMO1DOMINION.
11 years 10 months ago #18902

Replied by rtsurfer on topic Re: What do you think is the beef between Dana & Mia?

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

OK, ON THE MASTERS DANA HAS A BELIEF ABOUT ALIENS. EVEN THOUGHT SHE IS HALF ZENTRADI HERSELF.

ROBOTECH THE MASTERS
Ep. 48 DEJA VU
HOSPITAL SCENE WHEN DANA MEETS ZOR.
DANA TELLS ZOR “YOU ALIENS ARE ALL ALIKE".

WEIRD THAT MAIA PROUDS HERSELF BEING AN ALIEN TO MARCUS YET HER SISTER DANA HAS SOMETHING AGAINST THEM WHEN IN FRONT OF ZOR.

I WOULD THINK MAYBE THERE STILL SOME RESENTMENT THERE.

Was that when she broke in to see him? What was the context, wasn't she mad at him about something he said or did?
"rtsurfer's two cent..." ;O)

rtsurfer's ROBOTECH archive
11 years 10 months ago #18903

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re: What do you think is the beef between Dana & Mia?

rtsurfer wrote:

Was that when she broke in to see him? What was the context, wasn't she mad at him about something he said or did?

YES,

SHE KNEW THE RED BIOROID PILOT HAS KILLED MOST OF HER MEN AND ABOUT AS MUCH OF THE CIVILIANS. INCLUDING KIDNAPPING. GOING OF MEMORY I THINK ZOR HAS PREVIOUSLY CALLED A CEASE FIRE ONLY TO USE THAT TIME TO ALSO DESTROY A BASE.

SO YEAH, DANA WAS MAD. AND WANTED TO CONFRONT HIM ABOUT IT BEFORE SHE COULD KILL HIM.

REMEMBER, ZOR HAD LOST HIS MEMORY AND HE TOLD HER THAT AND DANA DID NOT BELIEVE IT AND THAT WAS WHEN SHE BLURTED OUT “YOU ALIENS ARE ALL ALIKE".
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
Last edit: 11 years 10 months ago by MEMO1DOMINION.
11 years 10 months ago #18904

• Thank you received: 13

Replied by Protoculture on topic Re: What do you think is the beef between Dana & Mia?

I've re-read the whole scene Dana-Rem-Maia awkward moments. It is a subtle reminder of Lisa-Lynn Kyle-Minmei thingies, well, kinda.
11 years 9 months ago #19259

• Knightewolfe
  • Micronian
  • Micronian
  • I''ve been a fan of Robotech since '85

Replied by Knightewolfe on topic Re: What do you think is the beef between Dana & Mia?

Okay my unofficial response to the hostility between Dana and Maia is because of the fact that Maia is her sister and Aurora is not (y'all must remember, I'm a Semi-McKinneyist and don't particularly like the character of Maia Sterling).

On to my opinion of the Dana-Maia hostility.

I don't think its because of the fact that Maia is standing next to Rem (a clone of Zor like Dana's Long lost love Zor Prime) but because of the fact that she was only raised by Max and Miriya for 7-10 years (yeah, I believe in the 2020 departure date for the SDF-3. Not the 2022 departure date) while Aurora/Maia had her entire life with their parents. So yeah, I can believe and accept the fact that Dana is seriously pissed at Maia.

Plus, according to some sources, by Prelude Dana is 32 years old while Maia is, what twenty or so. And Dana feels that Maia could be her replacement.

ehh, but this is just me thinking here.

I also believe that the 'brother' Dana refers to is actually Hirano Deparra, the son of Miriya's best Zentraedi Friend Seloy Deparra and the evil Supreme Commander Leonard. I also believe that there is an offspring of Khyron and Azonia in the REF and that he is around the same age as Dana and that Exedore and Breetai are the only ones who know.

But that's just me.

KW
11 years 4 months ago #19782

Time to create page: 0.418 seconds