Shadow Chronicles Rant

• rickcantfly
  • Topic Author
  • Micronian
  • Micronian
  • Thank you received: 1

Shadow Chronicles Rant was created by rickcantfly

I own every piece of Macross/Robotech animation there and I was disappointed in the Shadow Chronicles. I feel that the powers that be (ahem Tommy Yune) have just strung us along all in the name of profit. I mean.... how hard could it be to draw a f'n cartoon? Apparently, it's impossible.

Instead they just regurgitate the last episode of the Mospeada series (was I tripping here, I literally felt like they just redrew the last episode and added nothing whatsoever to the storyline) and then show us a teaser of Admiral Rick Hunter. WEAK.

Look, you guys have created a new character, go with it, FURTHER the story. Oh yeah.... you guys have no talent and can't do that. Oh well. Robotech, is now owned by Sony, expect it to be butchered into a Live Action flick. Oh God. I'm scared already.

Anyways, don't buy the hype. Tommy Yune and the rest of these clowns are just lazy and BSing us all. I'm gonna draw the damn cartoons myself!

Rant over.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alpha Bravo
8 years 7 months ago #21409

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Peter Young
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Peter Young on topic Shadow Chronicles Rant

People who like 'Shadow Chronicles' are like white crows: you can never exclude their existence but have you ever seen one?
7 years 11 months ago #22276

• Thank you received: 573

Replied by Alpha Bravo on topic Shadow Chronicles Rant

Peter Young wrote: People who like 'Shadow Chronicles' are like white crows: you can never exclude their existence but have you ever seen one?

Perhaps this is exactly why Shadow Rising is taking so long: HG knows that Shadow Chronicles is bad, so they just wait 20 years, declare Shadow Chronicles non-canon, and then Shadow Rising is a reboot of Shadow Chronicles!

Genius!
"Offers that are selected that the deposit paid the amount that we do not decide, or the pool, sipping mulled wine, and in addition you can play table tennis, there is one drawback, I do not have rights." - random spambot (translated)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter Young
7 years 11 months ago #22278

When I bought The Shadow Chronicles, and I saw Scott Bernard on the cover, I expected Scott Bernard to be in the movie.

He wasn't.

While I can appreciate the plot twist that Scott, who has spent his life fighting and killing Invid, is able to admit that he loves Ariel, who is an Invid, it is completely out of character for the Scott we know up until that point, and more importantly, it is not what happened at the end of Episode 85.

What happened at the end of Episode 85, was that Scott was still unable to forgive Ariel for being an Invid. Such a character flaw is what makes him human, and a believable character. He is being true to himself. Ariel would have loved him unconditionally, but he could never accept that. After the war was over, he left her there on Earth, and flew off into space, alone, as the curtain closed on his story. This ending was much more poignant, but even this was not without his opportunity for growth. As he flew away, he pitched Marlene's holo-locket. This demonstrated that he was no longer going to torture himself, or allow himself to be haunted by the memory of her death. He was finally able to forgive himself for not being able to save Marlene, and perhaps he would not even be so cold and callous towards others anymore. Except for Ariel, of course, because $#%# Invid.

This was a fitting end for the character of Scott Bernard, but in Shadow Chronicles he has a sudden magical change of heart. Episode 85 was never declared non-canon, yet they completely disregarded, and disrespected it, as though it was. Whoever wrote this did not understand the character of Scott at all.

P.S. And then later, a Haydonite throws off its robe to reveal a giant flying robot body, and Scott freezes in terror. You'd think he'd never seen a giant flying robot before! Who are you and what have you done with the real Scott?!
"Offers that are selected that the deposit paid the amount that we do not decide, or the pool, sipping mulled wine, and in addition you can play table tennis, there is one drawback, I do not have rights." - random spambot (translated)
The following user(s) said Thank You: LadyGrimes
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Alpha Bravo.
7 years 11 months ago #22279

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master
  • Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!
  • Thank you received: 947

Replied by LadyGrimes on topic Shadow Chronicles Rant

Alpha Bravo wrote: When I bought The Shadow Chronicles, and I saw Scott Bernard on the cover, I expected Scott Bernard to be in the movie.

He wasn't.

While I can appreciate the plot twist that Scott, who has spent his life fighting and killing Invid, is able to admit that he loves Ariel, who is an Invid, it is completely out of character for the Scott we know up until that point, and more importantly, it is not what happened at the end of Episode 85.

What happened at the end of Episode 85, was that Scott was still unable to forgive Ariel for being an Invid. Such a character flaw is what makes him human, and a believable character. He is being true to himself. Ariel would have loved him unconditionally, but he could never accept that. After the war was over, he left her there on Earth, and flew off into space, alone, as the curtain closed on his story. This ending was much more poignant, but even this was not without his opportunity for growth. As he flew away, he pitched Marlene's holo-locket. This demonstrated that he was no longer going to torture himself, or allow himself to be haunted by the memory of her death. He was finally able to forgive himself for not being able to save Marlene, and perhaps he would not even be so cold and callous towards others anymore. Except for Ariel, of course, because $#%# Invid.

This was a fitting end for the character of Scott Bernard, but in Shadow Chronicles he has a sudden magical change of heart. Episode 85 was never declared non-canon, yet they completely disregarded, and disrespected it, as though it was. Whoever wrote this did not understand the character of Scott at all.

P.S. And then later, a Haydonite throws off its robe to reveal a giant flying robot body, and Scott freezes in terror. You'd think he'd never seen a giant flying robot before! Who are you and what have you done with the real Scott?!

It's nothing but a bad fanfic IMO.

Thank you @AB for my adorable new avatar! <3
7 years 11 months ago #22282

LadyGrimes wrote: It's nothing but a bad fanfic IMO.

This right here is pretty much /thread.

I think they rewrote the events of E.85 just for the convenience of including a shoehorned-in love interest that they wouldn't have to bother developing. Scott rejected Ariel in the original show, which was a deliberate and clever contrast to Lancer and Sera living happily ever after. It illustrated the stark differences between the two characters: Lancer was a soldier who fought for a better life for himself; Scott was a soldier who fought for a better life for others than himself.

Scott knew that Lancer, the rest of their friends, and in fact, all of humanity, would live happily ever after, and that was all the satisfaction that he needed. Leaving them to enjoy the better life he had helped them to achieve, he flew off ready for his next mission, whatever it may be. For all of Scott's faults, and there are plenty, he is actually quite selfless, and though he has trouble expressing it, he truly cares about people. It is this "softer side" of Scott that provides a terrific contrast to his hardline, ruthless military persona.

I'm trying to think of a way to end this post, but there's really not much else to say about TSC that hasn't already been said. Oh this shot always looked funny to me:

Maia is apparently half-Human, half-Zentraedi, and half-Gumby :huh:
7 years 11 months ago #22287

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

There's your answer. They focused too much on the bad anatomy and less on the actual story and character development.

7 years 11 months ago #22290

LadyGrimes wrote: There's your answer. They focused too much on the bad anatomy and less on the actual story and character development.

You know, I have an observation, maybe a hunch, about this.

Before the Sentinels even went into animated production, Carl Macek had the entire series storyboarded. They had the start, the finish, the everything in between. In other words, they had a plan.

I don't think anyone at HG has a plan for Shadows. They made this one up and went right into production, and have no idea where this story is going, or even what happens in the next installment. Nobody there has any foresight or imagination to say "This is the story that we want to tell."

What IS the story of Shadow Chronicles? If you guys here at RTX were to give a plot synopsis, what would you say about it?
7 years 11 months ago #22295

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

Alpha Bravo wrote:

LadyGrimes wrote: There's your answer. They focused too much on the bad anatomy and less on the actual story and character development.

You know, I have an observation, maybe a hunch, about this.

Before the Sentinels even went into animated production, Carl Macek had the entire series storyboarded. They had the start, the finish, the everything in between. In other words, they had a plan.

I don't think anyone at HG has a plan for Shadows. They made this one up and went right into production, and have no idea where this story is going, or even what happens in the next installment. Nobody there has any foresight or imagination to say "This is the story that we want to tell."

What IS the story of Shadow Chronicles? If you guys here at RTX were to give a plot synopsis, what would you say about it?

That's just it. Robotech was Macek's story and then you have someone else taking over and completely changing things around to better accommodate this new story. Was it rushed? Absolutely, resulting in the final product being complete trash. Not that it wasn't already so to begin with. I don't remember it that well and that's probably because of how forgettable it was.

But if I must try to remember even a teensy little bit, then I would say the story was all over the place. Ariel was definitely a shoe-horn love interest and Janice was eye candy for the robotophiles and nothing more. The Haydonites were boring and laughable as far as antagonists go. I'm getting a migraine rn from trying to remember that disappointing turd of a movie. And because it was so bad I have zero interest in Shadow Rising and would rather wait and see if the live action movie will ever see the light of day.

RT could be continued and should be, but the only problem is the creative team behind it now, they're just not cutting it. I know there are some who are fans of TSC and that's just fine and dandy, but they're waiting on Shadow Rising and supposedly that ball won't begin to roll until after the live action movie, which is also not currently moving very fast either. It's not easy begin a RT fan when most of what you have to fall back on is what's already out there.

I will always be a fan but I've accepted that the series probably doesn't have much of a future at this point until shit gets moving, if it ever will. I can't say for sure if it will or won't but I'm not going to set myself up for disappointment. And as much as I hate the gimmicks in TWD at least its going somewhere and becoming bigger. There's always something to look forward to. That's just the difference between an active franchise and one that hasn't seen much action since the 80's.

7 years 11 months ago #22300

LadyGrimes wrote: That's just it. Robotech was Macek's story and then you have someone else taking over and completely changing things around to better accommodate this new story. Was it rushed? Absolutely, resulting in the final product being complete trash. Not that it wasn't already so to begin with. I don't remember it that well and that's probably because of how forgettable it was.

Now that's funny. To you, it was so bad as to be forgettable, but to me, it was so bad as to be forever seared into my memory.
7 years 11 months ago #22307

Time to create page: 0.576 seconds