About this Robotech... why?

• Chimalpahin
  • Chimalpahin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Micronian
  • Micronian
  • Thank you received: 6

Replied by Chimalpahin on topic About this Robotech... why?

Alpha Bravo wrote: I didn't like the Invasion game until about halfway through. It got a lot better as it went.

There was one thing above all else that really grinded my gears with it though. In Battlecry, you had a VF-1 that would hit an invisible ceiling if you tried to fly over buildings. Similarly, in Invasion, your Cyclone had an "automatic safety feature" that would instantly transform you into Soldier Mode if you entered a tunnel.

That's right. YOU CANNOT DRIVE THROUGH A TUNNEL IN CYCLE MODE.

W...T...F...

The second half of the game didn't have as many tunnels, which contributed greatly to the overall fun factor.

Yeah that game.... I recently saw a charity stream with one of the makers on that and apparently it had a lot of changed levels, there was supposed to be a racing segment and you were supposed to be able to go thru them in cycle mode but..... scheduling.

Man I kinda want a more grounded Gundam The Origin style remake but that's just me.
"Ĉu esti aŭ ne esti, – tiel staras
Nun la demando:" Hamleto - Ŝekspiro, Zamenhoff
8 years 4 months ago #21596

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 3

Replied by Xander on topic About this Robotech... why?

I mainly loved Macross series, I really despised Masters. I just really don't like Dana Sterling as a character. Macross felt more realistic in relation to the military, in Masters it felt like Dana and her howling band could do whatever the crap they wanted. I REALLY didn't like that. Gen was great. I loved Scott Bernard as a character. Him being the only survivor after the loss of his fiance' really was something new and fresh to Robotech that I loved. I also loved the fact that they were fighting in a post apocalyptic world
I think the only good enemies were the Zendtreti in Macross. I hated the Masters, and the Invid made me wonder how we lost in the first place? I mean they're really clunky and stupid I didn't understand how the human race lost to those guys.
I've never read the books, but I'm going too. I'm not to interested in the comics.
I played The video game Robotech: Battlecry and have mixed opinions about it. I love the fact that it dives into a part of Macross that we don't know to much about, the Zendrteti rebellion. However I thought the level design was repetitive and some levels just turned me off as a player. I also thought the story line could have been better, being it a Robotech game, but that's just me. Never did play Invasion, I heard it couldn't be played on the 360 so I never purchased a copy.
In the end there is a lot of things I love and don't love about Robotech. But I guess that's how it usually is with any franchise. There are some things we just don't like. I can't wait for the film! I hope they give the show justice.
Fight on and fly on to the last drop of blood and the last drop of fuel, to the last beat of the heart.

— Baron Manfred von Richthofen
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chimalpahin
8 years 4 months ago #21597

• Thank you received: 573

Replied by Alpha Bravo on topic About this Robotech... why?

Xander wrote: I mainly loved Macross series, I really despised Masters. I just really don't like Dana Sterling as a character. Macross felt more realistic in relation to the military, in Masters it felt like Dana and her howling band could do whatever the crap they wanted. I REALLY didn't like that. Gen was great. I loved Scott Bernard as a character. Him being the only survivor after the loss of his fiance' really was something new and fresh to Robotech that I loved. I also loved the fact that they were fighting in a post apocalyptic world
I think the only good enemies were the Zendtreti in Macross. I hated the Masters, and the Invid made me wonder how we lost in the first place? I mean they're really clunky and stupid I didn't understand how the human race lost to those guys.
I've never read the books, but I'm going too. I'm not to interested in the comics.

If we consider that Earth was nearly annihilated in the 1st Robotech War, and then sent the remainder of its best and brightest with the Expeditionary Force, of course what's left is a mere remnant of society and military structure. Children are piloting massive, expensive battle mechs. That is desperation. Command structure would break down, maybe there are a handful of responsible people trying to keep it together, but that is a losing battle all things considered.

Who "won" that war? It seems likely that both sides basically annihilated each other. The Southern Cross was weak, but so were the Masters. They came to Earth themselves under conventional power, because they were out of Protoculture, and had no other alternatives. They were as desperate as the Southern Cross.

Now consider that by the time the Invid got to Earth, the Southern Cross army, which was haphazardly assembled and held together with proverbial duct tape and bubble gum, had also suffered heavy losses in personnel, mecha, and infrastructure. The Invid may have been hive-minded drones, but their sheer numbers and ruthlessness were more than enough to overcome whatever token resistance Earth had left at the time of their arrival.

These things would all benefit greatly from a remake of the entire saga, which will of course never happen.

The biggest problem I have with the entire plotline, is if the Protoculture Matrix is still buried in the wreckage of the SDF-1, then how are the Southern Cross and the REF powering their technology? Where are they getting their Protoculture from? I do prefer the Macross version of Protoculture being literally the Micronian lifestyle, but the three separate series needed some sort of glue to hold them together as Robotech, so we ended up with magic space oil. It's not a bad solution, but it does leave this nagging plot hole.
"Offers that are selected that the deposit paid the amount that we do not decide, or the pool, sipping mulled wine, and in addition you can play table tennis, there is one drawback, I do not have rights." - random spambot (translated)
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Alpha Bravo.
8 years 4 months ago #21599

• Chimalpahin
  • Chimalpahin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Micronian
  • Micronian
  • Thank you received: 6

Replied by Chimalpahin on topic About this Robotech... why?

Check out the comics they really do their best to unify these shows in ways the TV show could not. They vary in quality tho. I'd say check out Rolling Thunder for a cool story set in the Southern Cross. Also check out Robotech VIsions online.
"Ĉu esti aŭ ne esti, – tiel staras
Nun la demando:" Hamleto - Ŝekspiro, Zamenhoff
8 years 3 months ago #21610

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by OttselSpy25 on topic About this Robotech... why?

I like the expanded universe a lot. I think that the story of the creation of the Invid and Zentraedi is really tragic and interesting, but has never really been given justice in any secondary Media (they all go for that *Star Wars prequels* thing where they connect too many things). I think that both sequel sagas work really well in THEORY, but obviously some of the visuals and dubbing don't work. That could be hammered out in an adaptation however, which is why I feel strongly that the live action films can be a hit. In my mind Robotech has the potential to be as big a hit as the Avengers or even the Star Wars films, which is clearly why Sony has grown so interested in it.
8 years 3 months ago #21627

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic About this Robotech... why?

LOOKING FORWARD TO THAT WITH THE LIVE ACTION. THGOUGHT WILL THEY PERSUE EVERYTHING IN THE EU?
ITS GOING TO BE A WAIT AND SEE.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
8 years 3 months ago #21642

• Peter Young
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Peter Young on topic About this Robotech... why?

Chimalpahin wrote:
( futurewarstories.blogspot.com/2015/06/fw...obotech-sequels.html ) I think this article lays down a lot of my complaints. [unquote]

Thanks for the link. Apart from the author's dislike for Minmei, I agree with the entire article.

Last edit: 8 years 1 week ago by Peter Young.
8 years 1 week ago #21765

Time to create page: 0.488 seconds