Was Carl Macek a good story teller?

• Peter Young
  • Topic Author
  • Academy Cadet
  • Academy Cadet
  • Thank you received: 96

Replied by Peter Young on topic Was Carl Macek a good story teller?

Alpha Bravo wrote: going back and reading the Sentinels as an adult is rather painful. In that respect, I can surely see why HG decided to declare the Sentinels non-canon

This is were I differ from probably every one else that knows of the existence of Robotech: The Sentinels movie was the first I saw of Robotech and when looking for information on how it went further I felt bumped finding out it got cancelled prematurely.

The way I see it is that the end of that movie is a GREAT starting point for further adventures. Forget about the Sentinels comics etc., simply go on were the movie ended and make your own stories!

At another topic I already gave a few examples of how Edwards could have been a great villain with interesting background and motives. I can think of more examples.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alpha Bravo
Last edit: 7 years 4 days ago by Peter Young.
7 years 4 days ago #25941

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Peter Young
  • Topic Author
  • Academy Cadet
  • Academy Cadet

Alpha Bravo wrote: going back and reading the Sentinels as an adult is rather painful. In that respect, I can surely see why HG decided to declare the Sentinels non-canon

If Jack McKinney based these stories and 'End of the Circle' on Macek's intended storylines, haven't you just answered the question in the name of this topic?
Last edit: 7 years 4 days ago by Peter Young.
7 years 4 days ago #25942

• Thank you received: 573

Replied by Alpha Bravo on topic Was Carl Macek a good story teller?

Peter Young wrote:

This is were I differ from probably every one else that knows of the existence of Robotech: The Sentinels movie was the first I saw of Robotech and when looking for information on how it went further I felt bumped finding out it got cancelled prematurely.

The way I see it is that the end of that movie is a GREAT starting point for further adventures. Forget about the Sentinels comics etc., simply go on were the movie ended and make your own stories!

At another topic I already gave a few examples of how Edwards could have been a great villain with interesting background and motives. I can think of more examples.

The Sentinels movie was a great starting point. It was what came afterwards which wasn't so great. I think that was what HG was thinking when they declared Sentinels as non-canon, but then subsequently reused all of the same characters and scenarios for Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles.

I'm hoping that the new "full circle" comics will use this opportunity to tell better Sentinels stories, rather than simply rehash what was previously canon, then declared non-canon, and then making it canon again.

I'm also hoping that they will use this opportunity to tell better Southern Cross stories.

I'm also hoping that monkies will fly out of my butt.
"Offers that are selected that the deposit paid the amount that we do not decide, or the pool, sipping mulled wine, and in addition you can play table tennis, there is one drawback, I do not have rights." - random spambot (translated)
The following user(s) said Thank You: LadyGrimes, Peter Young
Last edit: 7 years 3 days ago by Alpha Bravo.
7 years 3 days ago #25954

• Peter Young
  • Topic Author
  • Academy Cadet
  • Academy Cadet

The Sentinels movie was a great starting point. It was what came afterwards which wasn't so great. I think that was what HG was thinking when they declared Sentinels as non-canon, but then subsequently reused all of the same characters and scenarios for Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles.

Could the fan frustration have been avoided if they had officially stated the movie as canon and only the comics and novels non-canon?

And if they had first made canonized comics telling the Sentinels' stories - without calling them 'prelude to Shadow Chronicles', but simply as stories in their own right - before working on something beyond 'Next Generation'?
6 years 11 months ago #25992

• Thank you received: 573

Replied by Alpha Bravo on topic Was Carl Macek a good story teller?

Peter Young wrote:

Could the fan frustration have been avoided if they had officially stated the movie as canon and only the comics and novels non-canon?

And if they had first made canonized comics telling the Sentinels' stories - without calling them 'prelude to Shadow Chronicles', but simply as stories in their own right - before working on something beyond 'Next Generation'?

The official stance is that the anime is primary canon, and everything else is varying degrees beneath that. So essentially the Sentinels movie is canon, because it was animated.

When they declared Sentinels non-canon, did that include the Sents movie? That's a good question that I don't know the answer to.
"Offers that are selected that the deposit paid the amount that we do not decide, or the pool, sipping mulled wine, and in addition you can play table tennis, there is one drawback, I do not have rights." - random spambot (translated)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter Young
6 years 11 months ago #26002

Time to create page: 0.430 seconds