• MaverickLSC
  • MaverickLSC's Avatar Topic Author
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Thank you received: 3

Geocities is closing... Affecting some RT sites was created by MaverickLSC

For your information, please everyone check this link;

geocities.yahoo.com/gcp/

As of October 26th, 2009 all robotech websites using Geocities will no longer exist. Please everyone back up these Robotech pages that use Geocities and we'll see if we can find an archival site to back these webpages before there gone.

I believe almost a third of all robotech fan sites might be geocities. So once they're gone, they're gone forever! :(

Backup before its too late.

Mav...
The Sergeant Hartman of Robotech.com
14 years 5 months ago #7113

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• MaverickLSC
  • MaverickLSC's Avatar Topic Author
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Thank you received: 3

Replied by MaverickLSC on topic Re:Geocities is closing... Affecting some RT sites

Sorry better link;

geocities.yahoo.com/
The Sergeant Hartman of Robotech.com
14 years 5 months ago #7114

• SIGHUP
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Admin this!
  • Thank you received: 32

Replied by SIGHUP on topic Re:Geocities is closing... Affecting some RT sites

I propose this, since this site is by the fans for the fans. We could host those fan project sites here (with MEMO's permission) on the RTX server, but my concern is that we might not reach everyone in time.

I'd say this could be the "Robotech Fan Web Page Archive" or "RFWPA"

also

"Robotech Fan Web Page Preservation Project" or "RFWPPP"

What do you guys think?
--David Pena
SIGHUP
www.robotechx.com - a fandom based site | RIP Carl Macek (1951-2010)
14 years 5 months ago #7115

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:Geocities is closing... Affecting some RT sites

WOW.. THAT'S A SURPRISE.

BY ALL MEANS SIGH, DUDE, NO QUESTIONS ASKED.

LETS START A POST WITH A LIST TO GET AND WE CAN START SCRATCHING THE ONES THAT GET SAVED.

WHAT YOU GUYS THINK?
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
14 years 5 months ago #7116

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:Geocities is closing... Affecting some RT sites

LIST OF ALL ROBOTECH FAN PAGES FROM GEOCITIES HERE AND SCRATCH AS WE GET THEM.

ALSO, THOSE MODS CAN EDIT THIS THREAD TO ADD AND SCRATCH.
14 years 5 months ago #7117

• SIGHUP
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Admin this!
  • Thank you received: 32

Replied by SIGHUP on topic Re:Geocities is closing... Affecting some RT sites

"Snatching" some as we speak. Currently grabbing all the ones that still work from this list

1. www.geocities.com/Tokyo/4678/dg.html
--David Pena
SIGHUP
www.robotechx.com - a fandom based site | RIP Carl Macek (1951-2010)
Last edit: 14 years 5 months ago by MEMO1DOMINION.
14 years 5 months ago #7118

ARCHIVE WORKING AROUND THE CLOCK BEFORE THE DEADLINE TO SAVE SITES AS WELL

Project to Archive Homeless GeoCities Sites
www.thewhir.com/web-hosting-news/042909_...less_GeoCities_Sites

(WEB HOST INDUSTRY REVIEW) -- In an effort to save the thousands of animated GIFs, blinking text, web rings and even useful websites from going offline forever, Jason Scott's Archive Team ( www.archiveteam.org ) it trying to migrate sites hosted by Yahoo!'s ( www.yahoo.com ) long-standing free web hosting service, GeoCities (geocities.yahoo.com), following its shut down last week.

Scott began the website as an "offloading point and information depot" for a range of website and data archiving projects, but has gained the most attention for its effort to save GeoCities, which is emblematic of the early stages of the Internet. Scott estimates that he is archiving the web's adolescence at a rate of around a gigabyte every half-hour, or about five websites a second. After 48 hours of work, the Archive Team has saved more than 200,000 Geocities websites.

According to his webpage, Scott's love for online antiquity began in childhood. "Since I was 9 years old, I have had a fervent love of computers and technology, bounded only by realities of economics and time," Scott wrote. "From the BBS world of the 80's to the early wonders of the Internet and to the web and beyond, I've dabbled and dosed myself in whatever hot new computing fads and freakishness this wonderful world could come up with."

While critics have pointed out that not all of GeoCities is worth saving, many would agree with Scott that there is a value to keeping the disorganized, oftentimes embarrassing mass of mostly personal websites alive "to spread the feelings, horrors and astonishments of computing's history to people who came into it late, or never came into it at all."
14 years 5 months ago #7135

• Seto-Kaiba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Seto-Kaiba on topic Re:Geocities is closing... Affecting some RT sites

MaverickLSC wrote:

As of October 26th, 2009 all robotech websites using Geocities will no longer exist. Please everyone back up these Robotech pages that use Geocities and we'll see if we can find an archival site to back these webpages before there gone.

Why is this news to you? Have you been living under a rock for the last year, maybe year and a half?

Why bother backing them up? Most of them haven't seen an update in six years or more, and they offer nothing that can't be had a million times better by the sites that've been created using real hosting services.

MaverickLSC wrote:

I believe almost a third of all robotech fan sites might be geocities. So once they're gone, they're gone forever! :(

Actually, by my reckoning well over 50% of Robotech fan sites are hosted on Yahoo! Geocities. In truth, since many of the fan-sites have been forgotten, that number is probably somewhere closer to 65%.
14 years 5 months ago #7136

SETO

Why bother backing them up? Most of them haven't seen an update in six years or more, and they offer nothing that can't be had a million times better by the sites that've been created using real hosting services.

GREAT SAYING.. "ONE MAN'S TRASH, ANOTHER MAN'S TREASURE"

HISTORY DEAR FRIEND. THESE SITES HAVE HISTORY IN THEM ESPECIALLY WHEN THERE WERE THOSE PLACES BEFORE NEW ONES WERE BORN. I MYSELF STARTED CHECKING THOSE PLACES OUT WAY BEFORE DEDICATED SITES.

B)
14 years 5 months ago #7138

Time to create page: 0.398 seconds