Rebooting Robotech, even if you dislike remakes?

• SIGHUP
  • SIGHUP's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Admin this!
  • Thank you received: 32

Replied by SIGHUP on topic Re:Rebooting Robotech, even if you dislike remakes

Gubaba wrote:

Hey, I certainly wouldn't want to mess with you in a brawl... :laugh:

Remember the taller they are, the harder they fall. Its the crazy little guy that'll punch you in the nuts you gotta watch out for.
--David Pena
SIGHUP
www.robotechx.com - a fandom based site | RIP Carl Macek (1951-2010)
13 years 11 months ago #12537

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:Rebooting Robotech, even if you dislike remakes

SIGHUP wrote:

Gubaba wrote:

Hey, I certainly wouldn't want to mess with you in a brawl... :laugh:

Remember the taller they are, the harder they fall. Its the crazy little guy that'll punch you in the nuts you gotta watch out for.

YEAH. JUST DON'T BE UNDER ME WHEN I DO. IT'S NASTY GOING FACE FIRST TO HIT THE GROUND WITH ALL MY BODY RIGHT ON TOP.

BTW GUBABA, THAT GIRL GO BACK AT THE COFFEE SHOP? THE TEACHER LOOK ALIKE?

AND ON THE WAY TO REBOOT. (TO KEEP THIS THREAD ON TOPIC) WAS LOOKING TO SEE WHAT HAPPENED WITH SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO. LOOKS LIKE THEY IN A COUNTDOWN AS OF NOW.

6 HOURS TO GO.

yamato-movie.net/

LOOKS LIKE THE MOVIE BEEN PUSHED BACK TILL DECEMBER 2010
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
Last edit: 13 years 11 months ago by MEMO1DOMINION.
13 years 11 months ago #12539

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by One-Stop on topic Re:Rebooting Robotech, even if you dislike remakes?

I don't have a problem with reboots, it seems to be the trend in the new millennium. But if you're going to do it, do it right. Don't create a whole new scenario and story with brand new characters and backgrounds then slap the franchise name on it. That's just piss poor fan-lore writing. Sure, reboot and tell the story as you see it but keep the characters in tact. Minmei will always be the rising starlet. Rick Hunter will be the aloof young man who finds himself "growing up" via military service. Lisa Hayes will always be the woman trying to stand out in man's world. And Capt. Gloval will always be the "leader figure" for them all. These are archetypes that should not be messed with.
13 years 9 months ago #13056

• Thank you received: 13

Replied by Protoculture on topic Re:Rebooting Robotech, even if you dislike remakes?

Reboot?

Retcon is more like it .... reboot will on;y worked if RTLAM actually become a reality.

As things went by, retcon still the best alternative to current RT-verse.
13 years 8 months ago #13253

Replied by zinjo on topic Re:Rebooting Robotech, even if you dislike remakes?

Protoculture wrote:

Reboot?

Retcon is more like it .... reboot will on;y worked if RTLAM actually become a reality.

Retcon has been done in the Macross universe several times, so why should RT be any different? :P
13 years 6 months ago #13820

Replied by rtsurfer on topic Re:Rebooting Robotech, even if you dislike remakes?

zinjo wrote:

Protoculture wrote:

Reboot?

Retcon has been done in the Macross universe several times, so why should RT be any different? :P

Over the years there have been slightly different versions of basically the same story told by the different Robotech media/formats. Attempts to fill in gaps and/or continue the Robotech story.

The current Robotech-verse (rt.com era) is a retcon to/of the original 85 episodes, essentially an alternate reality. I'm not sure HG can make a sequel without trying to slip some kind of retcon into it, which pretty much leaves any reboot and/or return to the original Robotech up to WB.

Yes, the LAM would have rebooted Robotech, probably what is needed to jump start the franchise once again; however, that seems more unlikely with each passing day.
"rtsurfer's two cent..." ;O)

rtsurfer's ROBOTECH archive
13 years 6 months ago #13821

Replied by emjar on topic Re: Rebooting Robotech, even if you dislike remakes?

The Reboot could be kept simple by doing it this way.

Keep most of the old dialogue intact and just re-animate the episodes with sharper new animation.

That way you can blend things better;

Southern cross mecha can be altered to resemble macross and or new gen mecha.

Characters can be given a make-over.

We'd actually SEE the SDF-2.

This would cut costs of bringing back the old cast as there voices are already there.

A few of the less popular episodes could be eliminated (Glovals report was redundant) and with just hiring a few of the old cast a handful of new episodes could be created as space fillers.
13 years 2 months ago #14835

• ps99041
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by ps99041 on topic Re: Rebooting Robotech, even if you dislike remakes?

emjar wrote:

The Reboot could be kept simple by doing it this way.

Keep most of the old dialogue intact and just re-animate the episodes with sharper new animation.

That way you can blend things better;

Southern cross mecha can be altered to resemble macross and or new gen mecha.

Characters can be given a make-over.

We'd actually SEE the SDF-2.

This would cut costs of bringing back the old cast as there voices are already there.

A few of the less popular episodes could be eliminated (Glovals report was redundant) and with just hiring a few of the old cast a handful of new episodes could be created as space fillers.

I agree it seems simple to do a reboot and using the old voice work would save a lot but based on what McKeever has said in the past, I think it's highly unlikely. Even by saving money by using old voice work, you still have to animate hours of new video and HG isn't a animation production company like Bandai. According to McKeever, the costs would still be high and would require a major investor to help pay for it. Remember the Sentinels? Most importantly, who's gonna do the redesigns, Tommy?
13 years 2 months ago #14838

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re: Rebooting Robotech, even if you dislike remakes?

ps99041 wrote:

I agree it seems simple to do a reboot and using the old voice work would save a lot but based on what McKeever has said in the past, I think it's highly unlikely. Even by saving money by using old voice work, you still have to animate hours of new video and HG isn't a animation production company like Bandai. According to McKeever, the costs would still be high and would require a major investor to help pay for it. Remember the Sentinels? Most importantly, who's gonna do the redesigns, Tommy?

I WAS THINKING THE SAME THING TILL AOD CON IN FRISCO WHEN TOMMY THREW A WRENCH INTO THAT. OF MIMICING ANIMATION NOW AND JUMPING AROUND THE SAGAS.

WHAT I WOULD LIKE IS A COMPLETE RE START. I AM NOT SURE ABOUT THE JUMPING AROUND THING.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
Last edit: 13 years 2 months ago by MEMO1DOMINION.
13 years 2 months ago #14847

• ps99041
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by ps99041 on topic Re: Rebooting Robotech, even if you dislike remakes?

Definitely if HG is gonna do a reboot and leave Rick Hunter lost in space for another 25 years for the reboot to catch up, it's gotta be completely new. Keep the names and general story points but give us a completely new look. The same problem comes up though: who is gonna do the designs, Tommy?
13 years 2 months ago #14852

Time to create page: 0.456 seconds