Rebooting Robotech, even if you dislike remakes?

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master
  • Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!
  • Thank you received: 947

Replied by LadyGrimes on topic Re: Rebooting Robotech, even if you dislike remakes?

ps99041 wrote:

Definitely if HG is gonna do a reboot and leave Rick Hunter lost in space for another 25 years for the reboot to catch up, it's gotta be completely new. Keep the names and general story points but give us a completely new look. The same problem comes up though: who is gonna do the designs, Tommy?

Tommy's style is too generic and boring IMO

Thank you @AB for my adorable new avatar! <3
13 years 2 months ago #14853

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re: Rebooting Robotech, even if you dislike remakes?

ps99041 wrote:

Definitely if HG is gonna do a reboot and leave Rick Hunter lost in space for another 25 years for the reboot to catch up, it's gotta be completely new. Keep the names and general story points but give us a completely new look. The same problem comes up though: who is gonna do the designs, Tommy?

THE COMIC DESIGNERS WERE NOT THAT BAD AT ALL. THAT'S IF THEY CAN AFFORD HIM NOW. UDON IS WORTH MORE THAN BACK IN THE DAY. WORK FOR HIRE I GUESS.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
13 years 2 months ago #14861

• Brooklyn-Red-Leg
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by Brooklyn-Red-Leg on topic Re:Rebooting Robotech, even if you dislike remakes

Gubaba wrote:

And yes, a lot of episodes of Macross look stunningly awful. However, some look awfully stunning. Southern Cross had mediocre animation throughout.

I don't know what series YOU watched, but saying that Southern Cross had mediocre animation shows either you've never seen it or your eyes need checking.
Last edit: 13 years 2 months ago by Brooklyn-Red-Leg.
13 years 2 months ago #14864

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Gubaba on topic Re:Rebooting Robotech, even if you dislike remakes

Brooklyn Red Leg wrote:

Gubaba wrote:

And yes, a lot of episodes of Macross look stunningly awful. However, some look awfully stunning. Southern Cross had mediocre animation throughout.

I don't know what series YOU watched, but saying that Southern Cross had mediocre animation shows either you've never seen it or your eyes need checking.

I guess they must. By "good animation," I'm talking about stuff like Nausicaa, Laputa, Akira, DYRL, or (to raise the bar even higher) Fantasia or Snow White.

If you can find something from Southern Cross that's at THAT level of technical excellence, I'll reconsider. Otherwise, I stand by my assertion.
13 years 2 months ago #14867

• ps99041
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by ps99041 on topic Re:Rebooting Robotech, even if you dislike remakes

The fact that Southern Cross has overall boring character and mecha designs (though I do like the Spartas/Hovertank) as well as a less than engaging storyline probably adds to the perception that the series had mediocre animation. I will say there are some nicely animated scenes for sure but overall I also don't believe the series was beautifully animated.
13 years 2 months ago #14868

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re: Rebooting Robotech, even if you dislike remakes?

SOUTHERN CROSS...

WELL, MACROSS HAD A GREAT DEAL OF FLASH.. NEW GENERATION HAD LOTS OF GREENERY AND ADVENTURE..

SOUTHERN CROSS HAD.. OR DID NOT HAVE THAT LOOK OF A GOOD ENVIRONMENT. THE HARDCORE OF ROBOTECH MAKES A WHOLE LOT OF SENSE AND MECHA IS GREAT. BUT THE HOVERTANK ITSELF JUST DID NOT HAVE THAT APPEAL TO ME. ONLY THING I GOT FROM IT WAS A GREAT STORY.

AND...

PARTS OF IT EVEN KILLED ROBOTECH THE MOVIE WHEN IT WAS DECIDED TO USE THE ANIMATION :(

OK.. JOKE ON LAST PART.
13 years 2 months ago #14871

• ps99041
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by ps99041 on topic Re: Rebooting Robotech, even if you dislike remakes?

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

SOUTHERN CROSS...

WELL, MACROSS HAD A GREAT DEAL OF FLASH.. NEW GENERATION HAD LOTS OF GREENERY AND ADVENTURE..

SOUTHERN CROSS HAD.. OR DID NOT HAVE THAT LOOK OF A GOOD ENVIRONMENT. THE HARDCORE OF ROBOTECH MAKES A WHOLE LOT OF SENSE AND MECHA IS GREAT. BUT THE HOVERTANK ITSELF JUST DID NOT HAVE THAT APPEAL TO ME. ONLY THING I GOT FROM IT WAS A GREAT STORY.

AND...

PARTS OF IT EVEN KILLED ROBOTECH THE MOVIE WHEN IT WAS DECIDED TO USE THE ANIMATION :(

OK.. JOKE ON LAST PART.

Wow, you actually thought the story of Southern Cross was great? The series was so poorly received in Japan that it got shortened unlike Macross which was so popular that it was extended and had multiple sequels. I'll admit, being part of the Robotech story made it at least watchable. Still, if Dana's origin was changed so that she wasn't a Sterling, I would've liked it less.
13 years 2 months ago #14882

ps99041 wrote:

Wow, you actually thought the story of Southern Cross was great? The series was so poorly received in Japan that it got shortened unlike Macross which was so popular that it was extended and had multiple sequels. I'll admit, being part of the Robotech story made it at least watchable. Still, if Dana's origin was changed so that she wasn't a Sterling, I would've liked it less.

DON'T KNOW ABOUT IT'S ANIMATION ROOTS.

IN ROBOTECH, IT'S THE HEART OF THE ROBOTECH STORY AND ZOR AND THE MASTERS.
13 years 2 months ago #14884

• Brooklyn-Red-Leg
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter

Replied by Brooklyn-Red-Leg on topic Re:Rebooting Robotech, even if you dislike remakes

Gubaba wrote:

I guess they must. By "good animation," I'm talking about stuff like Nausicaa, Laputa, Akira, DYRL, or (to raise the bar even higher) Fantasia or Snow White.

Gubaba, I'm sorry, this is called moving the goalpost. You're going to sit there and fucking compare MOVIES AND OVAS to a Tv series?

According to IMDB.com and Disney Archives, Snow White had an estimated budget of 1.4 million in 1937.

For a while after its release the film was the highest-grossing motion picture of all time, until it was finally surpassed by Gone With the Wind a couple of years later. This statistic is all the more surprising when one realizes that children were paying a dime to get into the theaters in 1937

No offense, but don't fucking piss on my foot and then tell me its raining. I highly doubt that Southern Cross had anywhere near the budget in comparison to Nausica, Laputa, Akira, DYRL, Fantasia or Snow White.

If you can find something from Southern Cross that's at THAT level of technical excellence, I'll reconsider. Otherwise, I stand by my assertion.

13 years 2 months ago #14888

• Brooklyn-Red-Leg
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter

Replied by Brooklyn-Red-Leg on topic Re: Rebooting Robotech, even if you dislike remakes?

ps99041 wrote:

Wow, you actually thought the story of Southern Cross was great?

I do. What of it?

The series was so poorly received in Japan that it got shortened unlike Macross which was so popular that it was extended and had multiple sequels.

So. Fucking. What.
13 years 2 months ago #14889

Time to create page: 0.648 seconds