Rebooting Robotech, even if you dislike remakes?

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master
  • Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!
  • Thank you received: 947

Replied by LadyGrimes on topic Re:Rebooting Robotech, even if you dislike remakes?

>_> I hate kids lol
they're horrible where I work and will not shut up till their parents give them what they want.
This is why I detest that everything should be marketed towards kids, cause they suck.

Kids also approve of all the shitty new stuff, especially the new cartoons that make me want to guage my eyes out.
would be nice if they could learn to like the old stuff then I wouldnt bitch so much :woohoo:

I remember trying to get my younger brother to watch Robotech (he was about five then) he didnt care for it he just wanted to watch some stupid shit on cartoon network :|
yeah I rest my case...

Thank you @AB for my adorable new avatar! <3
14 years 1 month ago #10838

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by HashiNoUsagi on topic Re:Rebooting Robotech, even if you dislike remakes?

I know this guy whose son loves Godzilla. I love it when kids get into older things that aren't as popular.

Some new stuff is good, some is bad. It's all about taste. I don't have time to watch mediocre cartoons/anime anymore. If possible I try to avoid series that won't go anywhere or don't have a proper ending.
Hasn't done anything stupid enough to get banned from any forum.....yet.
14 years 1 month ago #11090

Replied by Incisivis on topic Re:Rebooting Robotech, even if you dislike remakes?

Uh, well, by some standards I'm a "kid" who likes "old" stuff, and I don't think it makes me all that special. Especially with today's technology, which makes it very easy to access TV shows and books and movies of the recent past, I think more and more people are exploring the old and the new pop culture together.

Yeah, there will be kids who won't like something on the basis that it's "old" or "looks funny", but they just don't know what they're missing. :P
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream."-- Shirley Jackson
"I'm a scary gargoyle on a tower / That you made with Plastic Power"--Gorillaz
14 years 1 month ago #11125

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:Rebooting Robotech, even if you dislike remakes?

WELCOME ABOARD
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
Last edit: 14 years 1 month ago by MEMO1DOMINION.
14 years 1 month ago #11132

Replied by sanman on topic Re:Rebooting Robotech, even if you dislike remakes?

Well, if you ask me, cartoons have largely gone downhill since the Golden Age of the 1980s. That was when 2D animated entertainment was at its height of popularity. Nowadays, the big studios only want to do things in 3D, since they feel it's more cost-effective. I was hoping that Flash might somehow revive 2D cartoon animation to make it more popular, but that largely hasn't happened. While videogames are out of the closet for adults, the only acceptable 2D entertainment for grownups are mature comedies like Family Guy or the Simpsons. The action-hero stuff is still frowned upon as kiddie fare.

Anyway, I hope that any Robotech movie stays true to the spirit of the original, even if some of the details get changed around.

On Friday, at work during lunch hour, a few friends were watching J.J.Abrams' Star Trek movie, and some were commenting about how the movie got McCoy dead-on, and what things were done right. It shows that when the styles of the original are done correctly, they can really resonate with the fans. I hope the makers of a live-action Robotech keep the tastes of the core fanbase in mind, since we'll be a guaranteed audience. Hopefully they won't corrupt the story with too many Hollywood-isms.
14 years 2 weeks ago #11987

Replied by zinjo on topic Re:Rebooting Robotech, even if you dislike remakes?

MaverickLSC wrote:

He did a decent job of combining the three unrelated series and creating the story of robotech, but to say he improved it is just kind of assinine.

Giving the circumstances of the day. Being 1984 to 1985 when Robotech was being conceived during which there was stricter content guidelines and regulatory censorship as well as the current demographics at the time, it wasnt' assinine at all.

To an extent it is assinine. Anthology series were all the rage when RT aired, there was little stopping HG from producing the show as such, but that was not the direction they chose. Macek sat in a room for hours watching 3 unrelated shows without any audio and constructed his story from what he saw. The fact that he created a story that closely resembled the originals is a credit to the writers and directors of those original shows.

MaverickLSC wrote:Considering that Macross was supposely created initially by its creators as a comedy. Carl Macek was able to turn these three unrelated series into a compelling saga that attracted the likes of fans like world reknowning SF author Robert Sawyer.

Macross was "initially planned" as a parody of super robot shows, however it developed into and was "filmed" as a serious space drama. So lets not try to minimize one show to make the other look better than it really is.

MaverickLSC wrote:Who happened to be also credited for his work contributing to Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles.

Well Mr.Sawyer himself has said he contributed, but saw little of his "contribution" used in the production.

MaverickLSC wrote:Carl did pull a rabbit out of the hat in his attempt to turn Macross, Southern Cross and Mospeada into something greater than the sum of it parts.

Mr.Macek was doing a "job" essentially. He was developing a property for his boss. I never got the impression from the videos posted on this site that he saw anything more gradiose in RT than that at the time.

MaverickLSC wrote:It's a generally widely held view he succeeded in transforming a generally unknown animation medium into something that is recognized today in the western world as anime. Back then we called it Japanmation, not knowing any better of the cultural aspect of the Japanese animation industry.

Again, I suspect you are attributing more to the show than is deserved.

Anime fandom was alive and well before RT came along (I know I was there!) and thrived long after it left the airwaves. What it and several other anime shows DID do, is show the entertainment industry that Anime was a marketable commodity. However it would still be another decade before anime would become an accepted part of pop culture in North America, when even then it was still referred to as "Japananimation".

MaverickLSC wrote:But thanks to Carl's work in Robotech. Most anime fans of my generation 30's to 40's help bring anime to the mainstream in which the younger generation forgot it existed. Some thinking that Pokemon was the first anime to enter North American, some are still naive about this. But thats okay...

We're all entitled to our opinions, but the facts are laid out quite well in this matter.

RT wasn't the first anime to enter the NA market either! The first ones were Astro Boy, Kimba, Marine Boy, Starblazers (aka Space Battleship Yamato) among others. Europe, particularly France, has enjoyed anime for even longer...

RT has a place in pop culture history to be sure, but not as prominent a place as its fanboys would like many to believe.
13 years 11 months ago #12436

• SIGHUP
  • SIGHUP's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Admin this!
  • Thank you received: 32

Replied by SIGHUP on topic Re:Rebooting Robotech, even if you dislike remakes?

zinjo wrote:

Macross was "initially planned" as a parody of super robot shows, however it developed into and was "filmed" as a serious space drama. So lets not try to minimize one show to make the other look better than it really is.

RT wasn't the first anime to enter the NA market either! The first ones were Astro Boy, Kimba, Marine Boy, Starblazers (aka Space Battleship Yamato) among others. Europe, particularly France, has enjoyed anime for even longer...

Don't forget we had Oggon Batto in Mexico.

RT has a place in pop culture history to be sure, but not as prominent a place as its fanboys would like many to believe.

I agree with zinjo. RT probably was and is not as prominent as its fanboys make it out to be. I can accept that. However, it IS as "prominent" to me because it IS the show that introduced me to a totally different type of animation and storytelling than say GIJOE.

Since this thread is all about staying true to the roots or rebooting, I am reminded of a conversation I had with a co-worker about IRONMAN 2. He said that he understood everything that was going on because he knew the background, read the comics all that good stuff. But someone who just watched the movie out of the blue would be totally lost since it kept true to its source (I haven't seen the film yet so I can't confirm or deny this).

It is in my experience that casual viewers easily outweigh the fanboys so whether we like it or not, whatever the LAM comes out to be will have different elements. The studios gotta turn a profit and release for the masses.

We the fans get hung up on loyalty, but the reality is that this is business and that has the final say in everything. We can cry and moan all we want, but in the end its whatever is most likely to turn a profit. Welcome to HOLLYWOOD!
--David Pena
SIGHUP
www.robotechx.com - a fandom based site | RIP Carl Macek (1951-2010)
13 years 11 months ago #12440

Replied by zinjo on topic Re:Rebooting Robotech, even if you dislike remakes?

SIGHUP wrote:

I agree with zinjo. RT probably was and is not as prominent as its fanboys make it out to be. I can accept that. However, it IS as "prominent" to me because it IS the show that introduced me to a totally different type of animation and storytelling than say GIJOE.

LOL, you had to bring up GIJOE... The show I hated the most!! I have to respect your position. RT rekindled my passion for Anime, so I can't be a hater of it.

SIGHUP wrote:It is in my experience that casual viewers easily outweigh the fanboys so whether we like it or not, whatever the LAM comes out to be will have different elements. The studios gotta turn a profit and release for the masses.

We the fans get hung up on loyalty, but the reality is that this is business and that has the final say in everything. We can cry and moan all we want, but in the end its whatever is most likely to turn a profit. Welcome to HOLLYWOOD!

Well said.

This "business reality" is something that is going to devastate too many fanboys out there. The LAM may not resemble the original RT at all and fans need to be prepared for that.
13 years 11 months ago #12442

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master
  • Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!
  • Thank you received: 947

Replied by LadyGrimes on topic Re:Rebooting Robotech, even if you dislike remakes?

Thats just it, the movie "if it gets made" will not resemble RT at all, and why? Because it is a RE-IMAGINING!

Meaning they will take the story and its elements and re-create them in their OWN vision. That is what a re-imagining is.

Thank you @AB for my adorable new avatar! <3
13 years 11 months ago #12444

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:Rebooting Robotech, even if you dislike remakes?

zinjo

YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER. THE FIRST 36 EPISODES OF MACROSS WAS WELL THOUGHT OF "BAD" ANIME BY IT'S OWN DIRECTOR.

TO ME THE DIFFERENT FORMULAS THAT FOLLOWED OF MACROSS JUST WENT ALL OVER THE PLACE. DYRL, MII, M+, M7, AND ALL THE WAY AROUND TO MF TO BE AN EXACT COPY FROM THE ORIGINAL SERIES. AND MF WAS ONE SHOW I DID GET INTO. BUT HAVE NOT SEEN SINCE IT CAME OUT.

Well Mr.Sawyer himself has said he contributed, but saw little of his "contribution" used in the production.

OF COURSE NOT. HE WOULD HAVE TO GET PAID IF THERE WAS ANYTHING IN THERE OF HIS. WHAT TOMMY TOOK WAS THE BIBLE OR AN IDEA OF IT. EVEN TOMMY ACKNOWLEDGES THAT.

EXAMPLE, THE RLAM. (IF IT TURNS OUT THIS WAY) TO FOLLOW THE HARRY POTTER TREATMENT DOES NOT MEAN IT TAKES FROM HARRY POTTER.

Mr.Macek was doing a "job" essentially. He was developing a property for his boss. I never got the impression from the videos posted on this site that he saw anything more gradiose in RT than that at the time.

ACTUALLY FALSE. HG DID NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH THE TITLE. IT WAS NOT TILL HE WA SHIRED BY HG THAT HE BROUGHT HIS IDEAS AND CONECTIONS WITH HIM TO MAKE ROBOTECH HAPPEN. CARL KNEW MORE ABOUT MACROSS THAN "HIS BOSS".

Anime fandom was alive and well before RT came along (I know I was there!) and thrived long after it left the airwaves. What it and several other anime shows DID do, is show the entertainment industry that Anime was a marketable commodity. However it would still be another decade before anime would become an accepted part of pop culture in North America, when even then it was still referred to as "Japananimation".

I KNOW THOSE TIMES.

THERE WERE NOT THAT MANY TITLES. MEXICO HAD MORE TITLES THAN AMERICA DID. ROBOTECH BROUGHT THAT MORE INTO THE FOREFRONT. YOU ASSUMING A WHAT IF SCENARIO SPECULATING IF THERE WAS NO ROBOTECH. THING IS, IT DID NOT HAPPEN THAT WAY.

QUESTION IS..WHERE DID THEY GO. ROBOTECH BEEN HERE SINCE THE 80'S, 90'S, 20'S AND STILL GOING. NOT TILL RECENT HAS THESE TITLES BEEN TRYING TO MAKE A COMEBACK.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
13 years 11 months ago #12448

Time to create page: 0.613 seconds