Rebooting Robotech, even if you dislike remakes?

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Gubaba on topic Re:Rebooting Robotech, even if you dislike remakes

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

zinjo

Macross was "initially planned" as a parody of super robot shows, however it developed into and was "filmed" as a serious space drama. So lets not try to minimize one show to make the other look better than it really is.

YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER. THE FIRST 36 EPISODES OF MACROSS WAS WELL THOUGHT OF "BAD" ANIME BY IT'S OWN DIRECTOR.

Wait, wait, wait...I've never heard that.

Source, please?
13 years 11 months ago #12455

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Nikolay116
  • Micronian
  • Micronian
  • Real Deal
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by Nikolay116 on topic Re:Rebooting Robotech, even if you dislike remakes

Gubaba wrote:

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

zinjo

Macross was "initially planned" as a parody of super robot shows, however it developed into and was "filmed" as a serious space drama. So lets not try to minimize one show to make the other look better than it really is.

YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER. THE FIRST 36 EPISODES OF MACROSS WAS WELL THOUGHT OF "BAD" ANIME BY IT'S OWN DIRECTOR.

Source, please?

I read the same at a huge anime website which we have (world-art.ru) and I trust it. However they did not provide the source. I think someone with knowledge of Japaneese should google.

Meanwhile, I do not think the source is really necessary. I was already writing about it somewhere here. What is the main striking difference bewteen M:SDF and any other anime, especially action one? Any other I literally mean any from lets say Gundam or Waltron to Macross Frontier and Code Geass. I will use M:F for comparison, but you can fill in any title.

In 99.99% percent of all anime right in the first episode a teenager turns out to be "special" and be able to do something special well, like piloting a mech, without much exp. From there on he or she kicks asses because he or she is just better. Same holds for most Hollywood action movies. Also compare all there parts of Robotech. in RM and NG main heros are also damn good, smart asses and topn guns.

In M:SDF Rick Hunter in the first episode finds himself in a VF. Yes he is able to fly, but when it goes down to dog fighting he realises that things are much more complicated than he thought. In comparison to many many anime's RH is NOT the best pilot.

There are many other differences which prove M:SDF is indeed a parody for a standard typical anime, but I will skip the discussion.
Last edit: 13 years 11 months ago by Nikolay116.
13 years 11 months ago #12456

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:Rebooting Robotech, even if you dislike remakes?

Gubaba

Source, please?

Nikolay116

I read the same at a huge anime website which we have (world-art.ru) and I trust it. However they did not provide the source. I think someone with knowledge of Japaneese should google.

I'M SURPRISED GUBABA. FIGURED MFANS WOULD KNOW ABOUT THE INTERVIEW.

NOT SURE WHAT ANEMIGO DVD THE EXTRA IS IN. BUT IT ALSO HAS ENGLISH TRANSLATION. HOPE YOU KNOW SOMEONE WHO CAN LET YOU BORROW THE DVD. FROM WHAT I REMEMBER, THE DIRECTOR WAS SAYING AFTER CHECKING INTO A HOTEL ROOM, THAT ON THE TV WAS SOME REALLY BAD ANIME, TO ONLY REALIZE IT WAS AN ANIME HE DIRECTED. HE EXPLAINS THE WAY ALL THE WORK OF MACROSS WAS BEING PRODUCED BY MANY STUDIOS. SOME HAD GOOD CELLS AND SOME HAD BAD CELLS. TALKS ABOUT PRODUCTION AND ACTORS.

www.robotech.com/store/viewproduct.php?id=93

The complete set also contains:
- A candid interview with reknowned Macross director, Noboru Ishiguro, on an alternate audio track on Disc 9.
- Liner notes, featuring a wealth of "behind the scenes" information about the production of Macross
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
13 years 11 months ago #12460

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

I'M SURPRISED GUBABA. FIGURED MFANS WOULD KNOW ABOUT THE INTERVIEW.

NOT SURE WHAT ANEMIGO DVD THE EXTRA IS IN. BUT IT ALSO HAS ENGLISH TRANSLATION. HOPE YOU KNOW SOMEONE WHO CAN LET YOU BORROW THE DVD. FROM WHAT I REMEMBER, THE DIRECTOR WAS SAYING AFTER CHECKING INTO A HOTEL ROOM, THAT ON THE TV WAS SOME REALLY BAD ANIME, TO ONLY REALIZE IT WAS AN ANIME HE DIRECTED. HE EXPLAINS THE WAY ALL THE WORK OF MACROSS WAS BEING PRODUCED BY MANY STUDIOS. SOME HAD GOOD CELLS AND SOME HAD BAD CELLS. TALKS ABOUT PRODUCTION AND ACTORS.

www.robotech.com/store/viewproduct.php?id=93

The complete set also contains:
- A candid interview with reknowned Macross director, Noboru Ishiguro, on an alternate audio track on Disc 9.
- Liner notes, featuring a wealth of "behind the scenes" information about the production of Macross

Yes, Memo...I have the AnimEigo set, and I've seen the bonus interview with Ishiguro on episodes 35 and 36.

And um...you DO realize that his anecdote about seeing it in the hotel room was just a lead-in? That the rest of interview shows that he was very proud to have worked on the show, and while yeah, he admits that some of the episodes don't look all that great (KNIFE FIGHT! KNIFE FIGHT!), overall he thought it came out great.

So yeah. You're taking one little quote out of context, and magnifying it to mean something it doesn't. Bad form, dude.
13 years 11 months ago #12462

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by zinjo on topic Re:Rebooting Robotech, even if you dislike remakes

Hehe,

Never mess with Gubaba when Japanese is involved... :P
Last edit: 13 years 11 months ago by zinjo.
13 years 11 months ago #12464

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

zinjo wrote:

Hehe,

Never mess with Gubaba when Japanese is involved... :P

Nah, this has nothing to do with Japanese (the interview was translated, after all), and everything to do with context.

It's like if I said, "Carl Macek said Robotech was awful!" and left it at that...and then, under questioning, said, "Well, he said Robotech the Untold Story was awful."

The first statement is accurate to a degree, but it doesn't accurately reflect Macek's view of Robotech as a whole.

But yes...Memo, I'll give you an A for effort! :P
13 years 11 months ago #12465

• SIGHUP
  • SIGHUP's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Admin this!
  • Thank you received: 32

Replied by SIGHUP on topic Re:Rebooting Robotech, even if you dislike remakes

Gubaba wrote:

Yes, Memo...I have the AnimEigo set, and I've seen the bonus interview with Ishiguro on episodes 35 and 36.

And um...you DO realize that his anecdote about seeing it in the hotel room was just a lead-in? That the rest of interview shows that he was very proud to have worked on the show, and while yeah, he admits that some of the episodes don't look all that great (KNIFE FIGHT! KNIFE FIGHT!), overall he thought it came out great.

So yeah. You're taking one little quote out of context, and magnifying it to mean something it doesn't. Bad form, dude.

Leave it to MEMO to misunderstand something! You'll have to forgive him it happens more often than not. Subsequently I also have the AnimEigo set which is the FIRST thing I bought after I re-discovered ROBOTECH in 2007.

Carry-on.
--David Pena
SIGHUP
www.robotechx.com - a fandom based site | RIP Carl Macek (1951-2010)
13 years 11 months ago #12472

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:Rebooting Robotech, even if you dislike remakes?

HEY, DONT BLAME ME. I DID NOT SAY THOSE WORDS. LEAD IN? SPECULATION?

:P
Last edit: 13 years 11 months ago by MEMO1DOMINION.
13 years 11 months ago #12479

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

HEY, DONT BLAME ME. I DID NOT SAY THOSE WORDS.

:laugh:

Oh, yes you did. You haven't seen the interview, you didn't hear what he said...you're just going off what someone else told you he said, am I right? And your report of what he said isn't accurate.

You know, if I didn't know better, I'd say that if the only way you can make your points is by distorting other people's, then that means you concede that you have no legitimate defense.

As such, I humbly accept your concession. :P

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

LEAD IN? SPECULATION?

Here, however, you've lost me, I'm afraid. Speculation about what?
13 years 11 months ago #12484

GUBABA

Oh, yes you did. You haven't seen the interview, you didn't hear what he said...you're just going off what someone else told you he said, am I right? And your report of what he said isn't accurate.

You know, if I didn't know better, I'd say that if the only way you can make your points is by distorting other people's, then that means you concede that you have no legitimate defense.

As such, I humbly accept your concession.

I HEARD THE MAN, I READ THE SUBS.

AND THE GUY IS NO ANDREW DICE CLAY AT THE COMEDY STORE AS YOU IMPLIED HE IS WITH HIS "LEAD IN".

DUDE IS SERIOUS ABOUT IT. AND THAT JUST ONE SOURCE IN AUDIO OF WHAT THE MAN BEEN SAYING AT OTHER PLACES.

NOW HE DOES EXPLAIN WHY THINGS TURNED OUT THAT WAY IN THE ANIMATION, WHICH I LIKE, BECAUSE IT LETS US KNOW OF THE PROCESS OF PRODUCTION. WHICH IS MUCH MORE IMPORTANT THAN HIS SUPPOSE COMIC ROUTINE. AND THAT'S WHAT'S MORE IMPORTANT.

DON'T BE HATE'N CUZZ YOUR BOY DECIDED TO TELL THE TRUTH.

I DO REMEMBER ONE BAD IMAGE AND THAT THEY CREATED BUTTHEAD VT PILOT THAT WAS LATER USED IN THE FAMOUS BEVUS AND BUTTHEAD SHOWS ON MTV.

13 years 11 months ago #12492

Time to create page: 0.597 seconds