ROBOTECH LIVE ACTION FAN SHORT!

• ps99041
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by ps99041 on topic Re: ROBOTECH LIVE ACTION FAN SHORT!

Truly AMAZING! Hard to believe that fans (in their spare time) can put something like this together faster than HG takes to redit and pay someone else to make a few minutes of new animation...
11 years 9 months ago #19066
The topic has been locked.
  • Thank you received: 3

Replied by MaverickLSC on topic Re: ROBOTECH LIVE ACTION FAN SHORT!

Not Bad, not bad at all! However there are some CG animation mistakes in the footage. The Battlepods entering the atmosphere starting at the 50 second mark with supposely exhaust trails actually look more like water hose trails with no flame. If they used Particle Illusion or After Effects they can correct this and recomposite the effect over the completed render. The smoke in rocket exhaust trails don't act this way in real life.

Unless they utilized the 3D programs built-in particle emitters, then they may have to redo this shot. Also no flames are seen in the battlepods manuvering thrusters made the shot a little off. It made the battle pods looked as if they were powered by children's waterbottle rockets. Battlepods should have a glow behind them to indicate manuvering thrusters. Macross VOXP has some good videos on how those exhaust trailers and thrusters should look.

Later in the shot, the battlepod crashing onto the highway was pretty realistic though. They've done their homework regarding getting proper lighting to match the CG object and that of footage. I'm sure they shot some photos and made an HDRI map of the location during that shoot so they can light the battlepod the same as that of the footage.

The explosion was off though, the explosion noticeably has black edges around it making both the battlepod and explosions look like a separate layer from that of the captured footage. I've seen this before on modern TV shows though as some TV shows prefer using CG rendered explosions rather than pyrotechnics, however that makes those explosions look cheap and out of place.

I think that's why I prefer pyrotechnics in some cases to give that added realism. I know that software like combustion do a fair job replicating CG explosions, but watch some TV and you usually can pick them out what's a CG effect and what's a pyrotechnics.

It's a compositing error that can be corrected with the appropriate software. I'd say get combustion and keep the explosion as a separate layer than that of the battlepod. It'll add more layers to the render and extend rendering times but it will help in producing a much more realistic shot.

Also, once the battlepod breaks through the bridge the smoke and debris prevented the sunlight from poking through however they managed to put a sun flare in the shot that came from the smoke cover which didn't make any sense.

Especially later on in the final shot when the viewpoint from the camera broke through the cover of smoke and debris unveiling the battlepod, then the battlepod lunges above the camera and yet no sun flare this time. That shot was fraught with continuity errors.

As I said, not a bad trailer, I wish you luck! :)

Mav...
The Sergeant Hartman of Robotech.com
11 years 9 months ago #19072
  • Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re: ROBOTECH LIVE ACTION FAN SHORT!

WORK IN PROGRESS.

I KNEW ABOUT THE VIDEO. WE HAD AN EXCLUSIVE FOR COMIC CON 2011. THE VERITECH JET MODE WAS COOL.

SO WHEN I SAW THIS VIDEO I SAW SOME WORK NEED TO BE DONE. LITTLE TWEAKS.

WILL PASS THE INFO TO CESAR.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
11 years 9 months ago #19089
  • Lobizon
  • REF Member
  • REF Member
  • Bounty Hunter! =☠=
  • Thank you received: 4

Replied by Lobizon on topic Re: ROBOTECH LIVE ACTION FAN SHORT!

Scott Green from Ain't It Cool News has covered it for Crunchyroll.

www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2012/06/2...ject-fan-film-teaser
11 years 9 months ago #19093

Short Trailer Robotech Valkyrie Project

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by MEMO1DOMINION.
11 years 3 months ago #19958
  • MIlkManX
  • Academy Cadet
  • Academy Cadet
  • There is no Robotech gospel
  • Thank you received: 1

Replied by MIlkManX on topic Re: ROBOTECH LIVE ACTION FAN SHORT!

Well that looks awesome! Its too bad the real live action movie will probably not look as close to the series as this does.
11 years 3 months ago #19967

Not bad. Some rendering mistakes though!

Some things to consider for improvement. The Zentraedi ship or SDF-1 that was shown in that shot at 0:13 with the earth as a backdrop, I noticed that the apendages extruding from the body were too simplstic and jagged. Made that shot look weird and not realistic. Also I would of rendered it with a gentle tracking of the camera swinging into the frame with the ship slowing sliding into frame from the left instead of just passing. Those appendages really bothered me, looked cheap. I've would've added detail to them instead of just needles.

The transformation of the veritech was nice, but cut down on the lens flare. Especially the one coming off the pilots chest was over done since the lighting as the veritech was coming down in top view was reflecting off the veritechs left side during its transformation into guardian mode, but the reflection all of sudden shifts to the right side during the mid shot of the pilot in the cockpit.(Keep it too the left as it was prior to the shot) The flare coming off the pilot was too distracting, too over done and not keeping with continuity of the lighting.

Also the shadows of the veritechs hands off the veritech fuselage were not made using global illumination and were unrealistic. Yes, I understand that this would increase the rendering times but if you want to create a realistic scene with HDRI backgrounds and lighting, over looking shadows is a BIG mistake.

The CG rendered Zentraedi warrior wasn't consistant with the rest of this trailer. You would've been better to have an actors dressed in constume with makeup filmed with a greenscreen backdrop to later add the digital set than rendered a CG character that looks out of place with the live action actors.

Consuming would be PVC based hard suits like those made and used by the HALO live action fan films or the Star Wars 501st storm troopers.

After watching this, I definitely would go with a live action Zentraedi in costume. Would really look awesome. :)

Some improvements, but overall not bad.
11 years 3 months ago #19970
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by rtsurfer on topic Re: ROBOTECH LIVE ACTION FAN SHORT!

Better listen to Mav's advice, he's worked on some of the biggest movie projects in Hollywood or was that watched them ;) I'm sure they would ask for his advice if they knew who he was :laugh: j/k Mav ;)

Wow... This trailer is awesome, can't wait for more and especially the finished work. Glad HG has had the good sense, something that can't be said of them too often, not to shut this project down and even to promote it.

Bring on more Valyrie Project! Oh Yeah!!!
"rtsurfer's two cent..." ;O)

rtsurfer's ROBOTECH archive
11 years 3 months ago #19971

rtsurfer wrote:

Better listen to Mav's advice, he's worked on some of the biggest movie projects in Hollywood or was that watched them ;) I'm sure they would ask for his advice if they knew who he was :laugh: j/k Mav ;)

THAT REMINDS ME,

HEY MAV, CESAR TURTURRO THANKS YOU FOR THE INPUT. HE ACTUALLY DID SOME CHANGES AS YOU CAN SEE FROM THE NEW TRAILER. WHATEVER IT CAN DO TO IMPROVE TO MAKE A BETTER SHOWING FOR THE FANS. AND SAYS THANKS.

AND WILL ALSO PASS NEW INFO.
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by MEMO1DOMINION.
11 years 3 months ago #19972

Thanks memo, I hope he continues to improve his CGI work. His video is making some waves up here in Canada.

I really want him to continue to push himself because you never know who/whom this video attracts their attention. ;)

Mav...
11 years 3 months ago #19976
Time to create page: 0.417 seconds