Nic Mathieu in talks to helm WB Robotech Live Action Movie

• MEMO1DOMINION
  • MEMO1DOMINION's Avatar Topic Author
  • Commander
  • Commander
  • Thank you received: 114

Nic Mathieu in talks to helm WB Robotech Live Action Movie was created by MEMO1DOMINION

Nic Mathieu in talks to helm WB Robotech Live Action Movie

Commercials helmer Nic Mathieu is in talks to helm the studio's adaptation of the mecha-centered Japanese cartoon series.
6:11 PM PST 1/24/2013 by Borys Kit

www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/wa...tech-director-415144

Nic Mathieu has been tapped to direct Robotech, Warner Bros.’ big-budget adaptation of the venerable anime featuring giant mechanical warriors.

The project has major franchise potential -- on the scale of Transformers -- and has been in development at the studio since 2007. Akiva Goldsman and Tobey Maguire are producing along with Matthew Plouffe, Joby Harold and Tory Tunnell.

PHOTOS: Inside Hollywood's Nerdiest Offices

Many writers have worked on the screenplay, but this is the first time a director has been in negotiations to board the project.

The producers conducted an exhaustive search in the fall to find a director who could bring a cutting-edge and modern approach to Robotech, which was a 1980s cartoon series from Harmony Gold USA and Japan's Tatsunoko Productions. It was re-edited and re-dialogued to combine three Japanese anime series to give the producers enough episodes to air as a daily syndicated series.

A sprawling sci-fi epic, Robotech takes place at a time when Earth has developed giant robots from the technology on an alien spacecraft that crashed on a South Pacific island. Mankind is forced to use the technology to fend off three successive waves of alien invasions. The first invasion concerns a battle with a race of giant warriors who seek to retrieve their flagship's energy source known as "protoculture," and the planet's survival ends up in the hands of two young pilots.

The project is a coup for Mathieu, a commercials director whose spots are known for their inventive CG effects but who has yet to make his feature debut.

VIDEO: Inside THR's Comic-Con Lounge Featuring the Festival's Biggest Names

But Warners already has shown it has plenty of faith in the burgeoning filmmaker: He is attached to direct The Wind, a David Keopp-written sci-fi project that the studio picked up in spring 2012 after being dazzled by his impressive presentation.

Mathieu also is attached to direct The Story of Your Life, an alien drama being produced by Shawn Levy’s 21 Laps.

He is repped by WME, Anonymous Content and Loeb & Loeb.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by MEMO1DOMINION.
11 years 3 months ago #20018

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• MEMO1DOMINION
  • Commander
  • Commander

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re: Nic Mathieu in talks to helm WB Robotech Live Action Movie

Nic Mathieu is repped by WME, Anonymous Content and Loeb & Loeb.

VIDEOS OF HIS WORK

www.anonymouscontent.com/commercials/com.../nic-mathieu#stellar
11 years 3 months ago #20019

• MEMO1DOMINION
  • Commander
  • Commander

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re: Nic Mathieu in talks to helm WB Robotech Live Action Movie

WB OTHER PROJECTS ON MATHIEU:

But Warners already has shown it has plenty of faith in the burgeoning filmmaker: He is attached to direct The Wind, a David Keopp-written sci-fi project that the studio picked up in spring 2012 after being dazzled by his impressive presentation.
11 years 3 months ago #20020

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by integrase on topic Re: Nic Mathieu in talks to helm WB Robotech Live Action Movie

Love his reel...can see why they chose him.
11 years 3 months ago #20027

• MEMO1DOMINION
  • Commander
  • Commander

11 years 3 months ago #20029

• Thank you received: 3

Replied by MaverickLSC on topic Re: Nic Mathieu in talks to helm WB Robotech Live Action Movie

Wow, Nic Mathieu is quite the talented and prolific commercial director. I havent' seen his shorts though, but based on the buzz surrounding him. He could be the ideal candidate worthy of a breakout feature.

I would like to see him tapped to direct another feature length production prior to Robotech before I can make up my mind about him.

Here's another article this time with a photo of the director in question;

www.reddwarfmedia.com/commercials-direct...live-action-robotech

He's looking to be a great gem of a find for Warner!

Mav...
The Sergeant Hartman of Robotech.com
11 years 3 months ago #20031

• MEMO1DOMINION
  • Commander
  • Commander

UPDATE ON NIC MATHIEU

Nic Mathieu to Replace ‘Kon-Tiki’ Directors on Legendary’s ‘Spectral’ (EXCLUSIVE)

variety.com/2013/film/news/nic-matthieu-...spectral-1200489515/

May 29, 2013 | 05:41PM PT
Pic is described as a supernatural "Black Hawk Down"
Justin Kroll@krolljvar

After the “Kon-Tiki” directors fell off the Legendary project, “Spectral,” to focus their efforts on “Pirates of the Caribbean 5,” Legendary has acted fast in finding its replacement to helm its supernatural thriller with commercials director Nic Mathieu in talks to direct.

Ian Fried wrote the original draft of the pic with Jayson Rothwell doing the most recent rewrite. Described as a supernatural “Black Hawk Down” remaining plot details are being kept under wraps.

Jillian Zaks and Alex Hedlund are overseeing the film for Legendary.

Joachim Ronning and Espen Sandberg came on to the project after the critical success of their Norwegian film “Kon-Tiki” but given the popularity of the film the duo were pursued to direct several high-priority projects including the next “Pirates of the Caribbean 5,” which they are now in negotiations to direct. This possible schedule conflict forced the duo to depart the project but looks to have worked out for all parties involved.

Legendary’s Thomas Tull is very high on the project and sees it as a franchise, so the banner acted fast to find its replacement. Though Mathieu is better known for directing commercials, he was a rising star in the director ranks having also attached himself to the black list script “Story of Your Life” that Lava Bear is producing and Warner Bros.’ “Robotech.”
10 years 10 months ago #20379

Replied by Troubleman245 on topic Re: Nic Mathieu in talks to helm WB Robotech Live Action Movie

I know he's gotta work but this just confirms Robotech is still 'YEARS" away..
10 years 10 months ago #20381

• Thank you received: 3

Replied by MaverickLSC on topic Re: Nic Mathieu in talks to helm WB Robotech Live Action Movie

Not necessarily so Troubleman245!

At the time, Nic Mathieu being attached to Robotech was news four months back and I wrote this in response;

I would like to see him tapped to direct another feature length production prior to Robotech before I can make up my mind about him.

Better to have him tapped on other projects before tackling a film project with the scope and magnitude that Robotech is certainly to have.

You just don't give out tentpole projects to an untested director unfamiliar with directing feature films. Commercials are one thing, but features are another.

This is just common sense.

If he does well with this other film. Then let him loose in directing Robotech.
The Sergeant Hartman of Robotech.com
Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by MaverickLSC.
10 years 10 months ago #20385

Replied by Shadow-Leader on topic Re: Nic Mathieu in talks to helm WB Robotech Live Action Movie

I agree with you. I think that they should have someone who is FAR more qualified then this person that they are planning to have direct the Live Action Robotech Movie. I would also really like to see someone awesome play Roy Fokker, even though he does not have a long role in the Macross Saga. I do think that the guy who played in Armegeddon as Bear would have been a very likely choice for Commander in Chief Dolza, but with his death now it is going to be a little more difficult. I just hope that Warner Brothers does not FRAKK up the movie. Harry Potter is fine to FRAKK up all they wanted, but NOT ROBOTECH.
Shadow Leader
10 years 10 months ago #20388

Time to create page: 0.365 seconds