Do we even WANT a movie

• Peter Young
  • Topic Author
  • Academy Cadet
  • Academy Cadet
  • Thank you received: 96

Do we even WANT a movie was created by Peter Young

Some people have been waiting for it a decade or two, but I wonder if a live action movie would be desirable.

On the plus side: life action movies have a far wider range than other publications. Take X-men. Despite the qualitatively above average 90s cartoon series, most of the public did not know the concept untill the first movie in 2000. The public certainly did not know Stan Lee untill his cameos.

So a succesfull movie might give the momentum to make other things possible - like comics or cartoons that actually DO pick up after 'Macross Saga'

On the down side:
- part of the fun is in not everyone knowing it. Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter and X-men, to name a few, were already succesfull before the movies, the first and the last also for a long time. But then come the movies and suddenly... well... all kinds of people who normally wouldn't care suddenly pretend they like it.

- the results might be disappointing. Bayformers. 'Rest my case, your honor'.

- once a movie exists, the other media risk being adapted to it. Early 2000s, the X-men, despite having individual costumes ever since the second half of the 60s, suddenly all wore the same black suits. And because Gwen Stacey - who only existed in comics for a few years in the 70s - appeared in the movies, she gets written into other publications as well.

All pros and cons considered, would the nett result be desirable?
The following user(s) said Thank You: LadyGrimes, Alpha Bravo
5 years 5 months ago #26654

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master
  • Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!
  • Thank you received: 947

Replied by LadyGrimes on topic Do we even WANT a movie

Hell to No-Oh

The ship has sailed and after the horrific reboot of a story in the new 2017 comic I say no fucking thank you. I don't know why there has been so many issues with even getting the project off the ground in the first place. It was announced in 2007, here it is 2018 and there's nothing happening. I've given up many years ago and still to this day don't see any signs of this ever happening. And right now with the current trend of things, I'm glad it's not happening. Look what happened to Star Wars. You want that in your Robotech movie? I don't think so.

Thank you @AB for my adorable new avatar! <3
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alpha Bravo
5 years 5 months ago #26656

• Thank you received: 573

Replied by Alpha Bravo on topic Do we even WANT a movie

I vote no.

If it was going to happen, it would have happened at the height of Bayformers. That window is past now.

Though I suppose they could base a movie on the new comics series, in which case, would be such an embarassment to even call yourself a Robotech fan afterwards.

What I don't get about that new comic is that the issue all along has been the need to distance Robotech from Macross, and yet this "original story" is still just a beaten-down framework of Macross with pointless subplots grafted onto the bones. I really don't see how this accomplishes the goal.
"Offers that are selected that the deposit paid the amount that we do not decide, or the pool, sipping mulled wine, and in addition you can play table tennis, there is one drawback, I do not have rights." - random spambot (translated)
The following user(s) said Thank You: LadyGrimes
5 years 5 months ago #26666

• BenYbgib
  • Micronian
  • Micronian
  • The ghost of Ben Dixon Lives on!!!
  • Thank you received: 2

Replied by BenYbgib on topic Do we even WANT a movie

Very Understandable indeed. If the Higher-ups at Lucasfilm let Rian and JJ crap the bed with TLJ and ROS regarding Star Wars, how likely is it that the Robotech Live Action Movie won't be similarly underwhelming overall?
Member of the Earth Liberation force. We will NOT STOP until the Earth is taken back from the Inbit!!!
DOL member
3 years 7 months ago #28026

Time to create page: 0.254 seconds