Here's a thought

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Adam_Schiller on topic Re:Here's a thought

HappyPenguins wrote:

It depends on the definition of "fresh it up" which could either be good or bad, but let's hope it's good and not bad. Also as I said before, style is a very important factor...Which is why I think they should keep the 80's look...

I completely agree. Robotech, for all its strengths and faults, is a series which was born out of the style of the 1980s as well as a general hope for the future of technology and space travel. To "update" it to match today's feelings wouldn't do much to match that, simply because of the different political climate, the whole popular fetish with "space marines" (being dissimilar to Robotech, save for obscure New Generation stories), and a general disinterest with outer space. To make Robotech into either a "Smallville"-style story about young kids and their relationships preparing to defend the planet might be suitable for Macross, but not for the more SF-heavy Robotech. Similarly, to turn it into a "Roughnecks"-style story with accents upon ground-level, gritty combat might be good for The Masters or New Generation, but not for the character-mecha-war balanced Robotech.

Robotech, at its core, is a space opera thanks to its Japanese roots and a harder science fiction thanks to its American writers. To strike a balance like this is not easy; I say this from experience working on your Atlantech RPG as well as producing Armored Soldier Valkyrion. Nevertheless, it makes me sick to think that the Hollywood-aiming staff involved in newer productions might simply decide to discard all that in favour of what is easiest for them to market. Change Robotech in order to sell Robotech?!--That is, quite simply, saying that Robotech on its own laurels cannot attract an audience, and Robotech fans should be insulted.

HappyPenguins wrote:

I mean shit, do they ever put their heart and soul into something and do it because they love it? Sure as hell doesnt seem like it, but then again what do I know?...I also love Robotech and don't want to see it suffer, wouldn't you agree?

Again, I agree completely. But as previous posters in this thread have mentioned, perhaps the goal of newer Robotech is not to create something innovative and artistic related to the "heart and soul," but rather to design something which is marketable and willing to betray Robotech's roots if it means attracting new fans. To me, that would be classified as to "suffer," as you put it, and equivalent to turning one's back on the solid foundation which was laid twenty-five years ago and has survived to this day. Why one would prefer that option is beyond me, but I'm not a businessman; I'm just a guy who is forced to look for quality SF elsewhere.

Thanks for making Atlantech, by the way. :woohoo:
Last edit: 15 years 2 months ago by Adam_Schiller.
15 years 2 months ago #2923

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• LadyGrimes
  • LadyGrimes's Avatar Topic Author
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master
  • Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!
  • Thank you received: 947

Replied by LadyGrimes on topic Re:Here's a thought

Change Robotech in order to sell Robotech?! That is, quite simply, saying that Robotech on its own laurels cannot attract an audience, and Robotech fans should be insulted.

And that is exactly what pisses me off, which is also why I HATE change.
Robotech shouldn't have to be changed, ever heard that saying, "if it aint broke, don't fix it? yeah well that saying sure applies to this.

Thank you @AB for my adorable new avatar! <3
15 years 2 months ago #2924

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

Robotech, for all its strengths and faults, is a series which was born out of the style of the 1980s as well as a general hope for the future of technology and space travel. To "update" it to match today's feelings wouldn't do much to match that, simply because of the different political climate, the whole popular fetish with "space marines" (being dissimilar to Robotech, save for obscure New Generation stories), and a general disinterest with outer space.

You know? now that I think of it, this might explain all the damn rewrites the script is going through...

15 years 2 months ago #2976

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:Here's a thought

I'm not here to start an argument

NEITHER DO I.

I merely want to make sure that I fully understand to what nature your fanzine is going to design itself

ACTUALLY, ITS NOT MY FANZINE. I KNOW THE PEOPLE INVOLVED IN IT AND WHO WILL WORK WITH BRIAN TO MAKE THIS BOOK COME TO FRUTATION. I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT MAKING A MAGAZINE AND JUST HELPING FANS GET THEIR IDEAS OUT THE RIGHT WAY. AND ACTUALY I THINK IT WILL BE UNDER THE ANTHOLOGY BANNER THAT BRIAN IS DOING. THIS WEEKEND THE GUYS WILL GET TO MEET BRIAN. SINCE I AM THE ONLY ONE WHO KNOWS BRIAN AND HOPE THINGS COULD COME UNDER ONE BOOK. THERE IS ALWAYS ROOM FOR GROWTH IN THIS BOOK.
SO AFTER THE PARTY WE WILL LET BRIAN PUT UT MORE INFO. WILL BE UP TO HIM ACTUALLY. HE IS THE CHIEF EDITOR.

Certainly, you can play the "slime" game all you want and work to discredit well-reasoned arguments by attacking the person rather than the ideas if you like

LAYING IT OUT INSTEAD OF BEATING AROUND THE BUSH. YOU HAD THOUGHTS AS WELL AND LETS JEST LAY IT OUT. BEST WAY TO GET OVER THOSE ARGUMENTS. NOT TRYING TO SLIME YOU JUST THAT I WAS NOT THE ONE WITH THE ACT AND PUTTING UP IN YOUTUBE TO GET A FILL. THINGS LIKE THAT IN A PROFESIONAL LEVEL WITH HG WILL LEAVE YOU IN THE OUTSIDE.

I ALSO TAKE IN ACCOUNT THAT YOU HELPED AT THE CONS EVERY YEAR AT TH ROBOTECH BOOTH. THERE PICS OF IT AS WELL. WHAT I THINK OF YOU IS FAR DIFFRENT WHAT A PROFESIONAL COMPANY AND ITS LAWYERS MIGHT THINK.

but well-known faces in the Robotech community like Darkwater, MedMapGuy, the U.E.G.'s membership, and Basara 549, regardless of individual differences, have all expressed discontent

JUST NAMES. JUST FANS. JUST LIKE ME AND YOU. NOTHING MORE AND NOTHING LESS. AND FOR A PASSION OF ROBOTECH. THERE ARE MANNY PEOPLE OUT THERE AROUND THE WORLD WITH BIGGER NAMES THAT HAVE HELPED THE ROBOTECH COMMUNITY WITHOUT BEING TO ONE GROUP OR ANOTHER.JUST FOR THE PASSION OF ROBOTECH. WITH MANNY SITES AS WELL.

with the direction in-which Harmony Gold is taking Robotech. These fans hold relatively the same beliefs as me, and along with those on this message board who also agree, constitute the use of "we" when speaking of those who have not locked-step with Harmony Gold's new era of Robotech.

MESSAGE BOARDS DOES NOT CONSTITUTE YOUR BELIEF AS A SOURCE WHEN YOU TAKE IN MORE OF THE BROADER FANBASE. OR THE PEOPLE BUYING UP THE DVDS AS WELL.

HG HAS REFERED TO THIS GROUP AS A SILENT MAJORITY. IN COMPARISON TO A BROADER SOURCE AS A WHOLE FROM FEED BACKS OUTSIDE YOUR SPECTRUM OF VOICE.

NOT TO SAY IT DOES NOT COUNT. HECK, I BELIEVE IN TH ESAME ARGUMENTS ABOUT HOW THINGS COULD HAVE BEEN BETTER. WICH I BEEN TRYING TO SAY.

Again, you are confirming what I have long feared to be true: In searching for Harmony Gold to support this fanzine, you are willing to sacrifice freedom.

YOU ACTUALLY SACRIFICED YOURS WITH THE FIRST ACT. NOT EVERYONES. BUT YOURS. BUT EVERYONE OPINION WILL BE COUNTED. I WILL NOT BE IN CHARGE OF THAT. PROBABLY BRIAN.

At that point, the publication is not really a "fanzine" in the context of "expressing the opinion of the fans" as, by your own admission, everything must be run through Harmony Gold's filters first.

THE FANS OPINION WILL BE INCLUDED. JUST NOT YOURS. SORRY. NOT MY CALL. THE BOOK WILL BE BY BRIAN. AND HE COULD TELL YOU IF HE WANTS. HE KNOWS ITS NOT MY CALL. I HELP AS MUCH AS I CAN BUT I AM NOT THE ONE DOING BRIANS BOOK.

I respect your abilities to gain these connections and perhaps bring Robotech to a larger audience, but what sacrifices are going to be made? How far are certain fans willing to diverge from the last twenty years' hallmarks of Robotech (passionate disagreement, artistic innovations from multiple sources, the willingness to differentiate quality productions from poorly executed ones) in order to be...

THANK YOU FOR THINKING THAT. BUT I AM NOT WHAT YOU THINK I AM. I AM JUST A FAN. LIKE ANYONE HERE. WELL CONECTED, SURE... BUT JUST A FAN. EVERYTHING DONE HERE AND IDEAS ARE BY THE FANS THEMSELVES. SIGHUP AND COMPANY WHO CREATED THIS PAGE. DARTILLION WHO IS WORKING HARD ON THE PARTY. BRIAN ON THE BOOK AND WHO DESIGNED THE COIN. HG WITH TEH DESIGNS THAT YOU SEE. OPINIONS BY EVERYONE ELSE..

I AM A FAN JUST LIKE ANYONE ELSE
WHO LIKES TO READ EVERYONES FIC AND SEE EVERYONES ART, BECOUSE I CANT DO ONE OF MY OWN.

AND READ EVERYONES FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION HERE.

OTHER THAN MGREXX AND BROOK CONSTANT ARGUING.
HEHEHE
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
Last edit: 15 years 2 months ago by MEMO1DOMINION.
15 years 2 months ago #2978

could either be good or bad, but let's hope it's good and not bad.

LETS ALL HOPE TO IT. I REALLY THOUGHT TRANSFORMERS WAS GOING TO SUCK. IN THE END I WATCHED IT 3 MORE TIMES. MI KIDS LOVED IT.

GALACTICA SAME WAY... I COMPLAINED ABOUT IT TILL THE 4 SHOW. BUT I WAS HOOKED. IT WAS DIFFERENT. AND WATCHED EVERY SEASON WITH A PASSION. EVEN IF IT WAS FRESH FROM WHAT I REMEMBER AS A KID.

Also as I said before, style is a very important factor, I mean for example look at ATLANTECH, what is the first thing you notice about it? The style! DING DING DING!!!!! The slang, the vegas like city, and the jazz age clothing.
And that's what makes it stand out, that's what makes it unique and creative. Now if you were to take it all away, it would be crap, it wouldnt have the same appeal as it does, and that's exactly how I see Robotech.

HEHEHE, YOU REMIND ME OF ISAMU WHEN WE ARGU ABOUT HIS ART AND STUFF.

BUT YES, YOU OFFFER SOMETHING DIFFERENT LIKE MANY FAN FICS OUT THERE. I LIKE THE COLORS. THOSE ARE THE BEST.

Which is why I think they should keep the 80's look, because for one, that is how we remember the original series, second it would make it unique in comparison to everything else, and third it would be a NEW creative approach. And hollywood is obviously desperate for that! now aint that the sad truth?

IN TRUTH I WANT THAT AS WELL. IN REALITY IT WILL HAVE TO BE MORE AS WELL. CAN I BE SETTING MYSELF UP FOR DISAPOINTMENT? MAYBE. ITS A WAIT AND SEE.

But oh listen to me bitch, I'm just sick and tired of the same crap, and as much as I love Robotech, I don't want to see it become that same crap. I don't want it to become something I feel the need to avoid because it's nothing but a big damn competition to beat Transformers, in which I suspect that's exactly what it is.

YOU NOT ALONE. WHY MANNY WENT AND SPAWN OFF FROM IT. BUT MANNY MORE STILL LIKE WHAT THEY ARE DOING.

I mean shit, do they ever put their heart and soul into something and do it because they love it? Sure as hell doesnt seem like it, but then again what do I know?
I'm livin in my own little world, and you know what? I'm just dandy, and I do what I do because I love it!
But I also love Robotech and don't want to see it suffer,
wouldn't you agree?

WELL...IS THAT NOT HOLLYWOOD? DONT THEY GET PRAISED IN THE OSCARS? DONT PAPARAZZI FOLOW THEM AROUND BECOUSE PEOPLE WANT MORE FROM THEM? HOLLYWOOD IS A DIFERENT WORLD.

AND WE CAN JUST HOPE.
15 years 2 months ago #2981

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

LETS ALL HOPE TO IT. I REALLY THOUGHT TRANSFORMERS WAS GOING TO SUCK. IN THE END I WATCHED IT 3 MORE TIMES. MI KIDS LOVED IT.

Though we could of done without the crude humor and the pissing autobot......

HEHEHE, YOU REMIND ME OF ISAMU WHEN WE ARGU ABOUT HIS ART AND STUFF.

Is that good or bad?

IN TRUTH I WANT THAT AS WELL. IN REALITY IT WILL HAVE TO BE MORE AS WELL. CAN I BE SETTING MYSELF UP FOR DISAPOINTMENT? MAYBE. ITS A WAIT AND SEE.

That's something I don't quite understand... why does everything have to be realistic? Whatever happened to fantasy?
did it die?

YOU NOT ALONE. WHY MANNY WENT AND SPAWN OFF FROM IT. BUT MANNY MORE STILL LIKE WHAT THEY ARE DOING.

And many more have become a snore fest! It seems every single remake or idea based off a show or game MUST take place today! or else the people don't give a damn! Also the stories have to be dumbed down to appeal to the new generation of IDIOTS! Because people these days could care less about an interesting plot and character development, they just want to see death, sex, crude humor and my favorite... MICHAEL F******! BAY EXPLOSIONS!!!!

WELL...IS THAT NOT HOLLYWOOD? DONT THEY GET PRAISED IN THE OSCARS? DONT PAPARAZZI FOLOW THEM AROUND BECOUSE PEOPLE WANT MORE FROM THEM? HOLLYWOOD IS A DIFERENT WORLD.

AND WE CAN JUST HOPE.

All they care about is the popularity and money.....
It's nothing but a big friggin competition to be the best and nothing more.
Why else are there so many lame movie ideas and pointless sequels?

15 years 2 months ago #2988

• isamu
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Admiral Commander & Chief lol
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by isamu on topic Re:Here's a thought

the funny thing Robotech is taking place at this moment now!
of their time line!

As for the vision they had for our future was somewhat off but not that far, we now have new model planes like The Raptor and the J.T.F ,Stealth and other planes!
I guess in reality The Tom Cat could of gotten a major upgrade and probably was more compatible to support robotechnology then any other plane with a short notice!?

we dont know how things would look 20 years from now!
but I would like to see an 80's feel-now! that would be awesome
as for our time line we were never affected by world war III and an massive alien Space ship!

all I hope is that they keep a sence of Sci-Fi Fantasy ADVENTURE!
and not something that has to be as close or trully belivable to our time
if you like my art and would like to see more of my work go to isamu5979.deviantart.com/
you can also go Here www.robotechx.com/index.php?option=com_k...iew&catid=12&id=2025 to see all the Pin-up girls
ROBOTECH AVATARS HERE: www.robotechx.com/forums/2-x-fandom/4266-avatars.html#5619
Last edit: 15 years 2 months ago by isamu.
15 years 2 months ago #2991

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

isamu wrote:

but I would like to see an 80's feel-now! that would be awesome

yay someone else who agrees!

15 years 2 months ago #3000

• SIGHUP
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Admin this!
  • Thank you received: 32

Replied by SIGHUP on topic Re:Here's a thought

It would certainly be something different, if they went for the 80s style. Dunno though, I dislike the 80s style.

I'd say keep the ROBOTECH style.
--David Pena
SIGHUP
www.robotechx.com - a fandom based site | RIP Carl Macek (1951-2010)
15 years 2 months ago #3004

AND NO COLOR HAIR.
15 years 2 months ago #3010

Time to create page: 0.418 seconds