Here's a thought

• LadyGrimes
  • LadyGrimes's Avatar Topic Author
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master
  • Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!
  • Thank you received: 947

Here's a thought was created by LadyGrimes

What if the live action movie kept the 80's style? You know the music and clothing...
Instead of trying to modernize it...
No offense to anyone, but I'm tired of everything made today having to be "modern style" just to appeal to everyone.
To me, the 80's style is what made robotech what it is, am I right? And to take away that style, it would be taking away that look and feel. So why not keep the 80's look?
I'm not asking them to keep the dates the same, because I know they won't, but to at least keep the style, I mean does everything have to be modern?

Someone should bring this up at a convention or something, hell even have it published in the anthology while including a special section for us fans to say what we think about the movie. and share our casting ideas and what not, but anyway...

Just thought I'd share my two cents

Thank you @AB for my adorable new avatar! <3
15 years 2 months ago #2904

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• MACROSS8511
  • Academy Cadet
  • Academy Cadet
  • The infamous...MACROSS8511
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by MACROSS8511 on topic Re:Here's a thought

I AGREE! Atleast if they started with 80' music, and clothes of that genre- that would be cool. Litle by little through out the film add modern music....But hopefully they will stick with the original "scene" of the 80's saga.
I didnt agree too much with what they did in Transformers.

:S

Great point!:lol:
" I cant believe its not butter! "
15 years 2 months ago #2905

Replied by Adam_Schiller on topic Re:Here's a thought

HappyPenguins wrote:

Someone should bring this up at a convention or something, hell even have it published in the anthology while including a special section for us fans to say what we think about the movie.

Is the anthology going to include articles which are critical of Harmony Gold's decisions? :ohmy: I don't know if that's a good idea...
15 years 2 months ago #2906

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:Here's a thought

I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL ABOUT CHANGES.

BUT CANT COMPLAIN ABOUT THE MONEY IT GROSSES.

IF HOLLYWOOD EXPECTS TO MAKE BIG BUDGET MOVIES THEN ONE WOULD EXPECT THEY WOULD LIKE TO MAKE AS MUCH BACK. WICH INCLUDE MODERNIZING IT.

ADAM, CRITICAL IN WHAT DECISION? THE MOVIE IDEAS RO PRODUCTION?
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
15 years 2 months ago #2909

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

Replied by LadyGrimes on topic Re:Here's a thought

Adam_Schiller wrote:

HappyPenguins wrote:

Someone should bring this up at a convention or something, hell even have it published in the anthology while including a special section for us fans to say what we think about the movie.

Is the anthology going to include articles which are critical of Harmony Gold's decisions? :ohmy: I don't know if that's a good idea...

who cares? we have every right to say what's on our mind about the movie do we not? And it would only be considered critical, if say we saw the movie and decided to nitpick at it, but at this point I wouldnt consider it "critical" in any terms, more like sharing our ideas.

And I also didnt like what they did with transformers either, but if Robotech kept its original style, then it would stand out you know? It would be unique and those transformtards, couldnt say RT was copying off of Transformers, because it wouldnt be, it would be staying true to its own form.

Cause you know as well as I do that transformer fans will accuse Robotech of copying....
Thats how it always is, I see that sort of thing all the time on the IMDB forums, and with every damn movie it seems.
dont believe me? look up a movie on that site and look for posts like "looks like a rip off" I guarantee you'll find one.

and MEMO the thing about "Styles" is they help add so much more to the story, they are what helps make it stand out from others, and if you take away that style, its just like everything else. The modern style has been over done so many times that it's become repulsively boring....
everytime a new movie comes out thats been modernized, its like oh look another movie that takes place today, ah who gives a damn!

maybe its time to be, I dont know.. different? Yeah that would help! like I said todays styles are just boring....
the clothes suck, the music sucks and right now a lot of the movies suck, need I say more?

Hollywood needs to be CREATIVE!

15 years 2 months ago #2911

who cares? we have every right to say what's on our mind about the movie do we not? And it would only be considered critical, if say we saw the movie and decided to nitpick at it, but at this point I wouldnt consider it "critical" in any terms, more like sharing our ideas.

RIGHT!!!!!

EXAMPLE ROBOTECH SHADOW CHRONICLES.
COULD BEEN BETTER? YES, THEN YOU LOOK AT HOW MUCH THEY OUTSOLD AND FROM WHAT I KNOW ITS ABOUT MORE THAN HALF AS MUCH THAN THE ORIGINAL SERIES HAS IN ITS YEARS AL TOGETHER.

SO HOW DO WE STAND OUT AS A SMALL VOCAL GROUP OR REIVEWS THAT WE ALSO HAVE TO BE "FAIR AND BALANCED" TO THE WHOLE SUCCES OF THE MOVIE. YEAH, SOME OF US HAVE GRIPES ABOUT IT TO EVEN NOT ACCEPTING IT AS ROBOTECH AND THEN YOU WOULD HAVE TO ADD THE REVIEWS OF PEOPLE WHO ALSO LIKED IT. SO I REALLY SEE NOTHING CRITICAL AS WELL. WE CAN HAVE OPINIONS ON BOTH SIDES AND IT WILL STILL NOT GET ANYWHERE.

ADAM, YOU CAN WRITE THE BEST OF THE WORST REVIEW OUT THERE OF THE MOVIE THEN ONE CAN ALSO WRITE THE BEST OF THE BEST REVIEW OF IT AS WELL. AND WHERE DOES IT GET YOU? WE CAN JUST GO AROUND ALL THIS ARGUMENT BUT IN THE END ITS WHAT HG WILL DO AND YOU CAN SEE THEY ARE DOING FINE.

WOULD I LIKE TO HAVE SEEN MORE? SURE BUT AS A SMALL PROJECT THEY SURE HIT IT OUT OF THE BALLPARK WITH ITS RUNS AROUND THE GLOBE (EXEPT JAPAN) AND THERE ARE STILL DEALS OUT THERE BEING SOLD FOR INTERNATIONAL SALES LIKE FRANCE, SPAIN, CHINA, ETC.

SO WHAT WILL ONE CRITIZES IN THE END? HOW BAD THE MOVIE IS? OR WHAT THE MOVIE IS NOT FOR ONE? ALL DEPENDS ON ALL THE DEVIRCE OPINIONS OUT THERE.

"Styles" is they help add so much more to the story, they are what helps make it stand out from others, and if you take away that style, its just like everything else. The modern style has been over done so many times that it's become repulsively boring....
everytime a new movie comes out thats been modernized, its like oh look another movie that takes place today, ah who gives a damn!

maybe its time to be, I dont know.. different? Yeah that would help! like I said todays styles are just boring....
the clothes suck, the music sucks and right now a lot of the movies suck, need I say more?

ANY LIVE ACTION IS WHAT IT IS OUT THERE. I DONT SEE REALLY ANY PROBLEM IF THEY FRESH IT UP. DONT GET ME WRONG, I AM ALL ABOUT THE 80'S. BUT I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO SEE IT IN TODAYS TIME FRAME.

I ALSO SEEN THE BOARDS AS WELL. ROP OFF THIS RIPP OFF THAT. BUT THEN ITS WHAT OTHER PEOPLE OPINIONS COUNT AS WELL. AND THATS THROUGH TICKET SALES. THOSE PEOPLE OPINION COUNT AS WELL. NOT JUST BOARD MEMBERS.
15 years 2 months ago #2912

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

YOU CAN WRITE THE BEST OF THE WORST REVIEW OUT THERE OF THE MOVIE THEN ONE CAN ALSO WRITE THE BEST OF THE BEST REVIEW OF IT AS WELL. AND WHERE DOES IT GET YOU? WE CAN JUST GO AROUND ALL THIS ARGUMENT BUT IN THE END ITS WHAT HG WILL DO AND YOU CAN SEE THEY ARE DOING FINE.

So basically, what you are saying is that as long as a product is a success, it doesn't matter if it lacks quality, continuity, overall "feel" of the original, or an engaging, involving storyline. NO SIR! If it sells well, who are we, the more-serious Robotech fans, to object?

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

SO WHAT WILL ONE CRITIZES IN THE END? HOW BAD THE MOVIE IS? OR WHAT THE MOVIE IS NOT FOR ONE? ALL DEPENDS ON ALL THE DEVIRCE OPINIONS OUT THERE.

If I am translating your statements correctly, then yes, I agree: The diverse opinions of Robotech fans are important, and if a fanzine or website bearing the slogan "By The Fans, For The Fans" does not take ample care to research and address these diverse opinions, then the mere idea is, to put it nicely, a farce, and to put it bluntly, an outright lie.
15 years 2 months ago #2917

So basically, what you are saying is that as long as a product is a success, it doesn't matter if it lacks quality, continuity, overall "feel" of the original, or an engaging, involving storyline. NO SIR! If it sells well, who are we, the more-serious Robotech fans, to object?

I DO QUESTION THE "WE" PART. SOMETIMES IT MORE OR LESS SOUNDS LIKE "I" THAN A WE.

YOU SEE, WE CAN OBJECT AS MUCH AS WE WANT. WE COULD DEMAND AS MUCH AS WE WANT. BUT WE ARE NOT THE ONLY FANS OUT THERE OR "the more-serious Robotech fans" THAT WE OR "YOU" CAN DESIGNATE YOURSELF. THERE IS A BROADER AUDIENE OUT THERE AND IN MY ARGUMENTS I TAKE COUNTABILITY TO THAT. WE CAN ALL REMEMBER A CERTAIN POINT IN ANIME EXPO WHERE YOU SIR, DID GO INFRONT OF THE PANEL AND EXPRESSED YOUR OPINION ABOUT THIS ASPECT. ITS COOL THAT YOU SPOKE YOUR MIND BUT YOU CANT IGNORE THE AUDINCE AS WELL THAT LARGE IN PART ALSO WANT MOREOF IT.

NO ONE IS SAYING NO TO WHAT YOU SAYING, JUST THAT EVERYTHING COUNTS. WICH GOES BACK TO MY ARGUMENT ABOUT WHAT MOVIES ARE DOING NOW CHANGING OR UPDATING OR RE IMAGINING EVERYTHING FROM THE PAST. AND WITH GREAT SUCCES IF I MIGHT ADD.

WHAT I AM TRYING TO SAY, IF YOU PUT OUT YOUR ARGUMENT OR REPRESENTATION OF A GROUP OF ARGUMENTS, ALSO EXPECT THOSE THAT GIVE PRAISES IN THEIR OWN ARGUMENTS OF WHY IT FEELS A "SUCCES" FOR THEM.

CANT GO AROUND CALLING THEM OUT JUST BECOUSE THEY DONT AGREE OR SEE EYE TO EYE.

If I am translating your statements correctly, then yes, I agree: The diverse opinions of Robotech fans are important, and if a fanzine or website bearing the slogan "By The Fans, For The Fans" does not take ample care to research and address these diverse opinions, then the mere idea is, to put it nicely, a farce, and to put it bluntly, an outright lie.

YOU ARE NOT TRANSLATING CORRECTLY AS YOU CAN SEE IN MY PREVIOUS ANSWER TO YOUR TOPIC. HERE IN THIS FORUM, WE AS FANS CAN AGREE WE ARE OPEN TO DISCUSSION AND OTHER PEOPLES IDEAS AND OPINIONS.

BUT DEALING IN A PUBLICATION THAT WILL HAVE A HG STAMP ON IT AS ANYTHING BEING DONE WILL BE HANDLED IN A MATTER BY ITS CONTENT OR MALICIOUS INTENT OR HISTORY WITH THE COMPANY.

YOU CAN POST YOUR OPINION ABOUT ANYTHING HERE. BUT AS I KNOW, AND OTHERS AND EVEN YOU, ANYTHING RELATED TO HG AND APROVAL BY HG AND LEGALITY WILL ALSO HAVE ITS EYE ON THINGS ON WHAT IT LETS OUT WITH ITS LICENSE AND WHO WILL REPRESENT, ESPECIALLY INTENTS OF SAID INDIVIDUALS.
15 years 2 months ago #2919

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

I DO QUESTION THE "WE" PART. SOMETIMES IT MORE OR LESS SOUNDS LIKE "I" THAN A WE.

I'm not here to start an argument, sir. I merely want to make sure that I fully understand to what nature your fanzine is going to design itself. Certainly, you can play the "slime" game all you want and work to discredit well-reasoned arguments by attacking the person rather than the ideas if you like, but well-known faces in the Robotech community like Darkwater, MedMapGuy, the U.E.G.'s membership, and Basara 549, regardless of individual differences, have all expressed discontent with the direction in-which Harmony Gold is taking Robotech. These fans hold relatively the same beliefs as me, and along with those on this message board who also agree, constitute the use of "we" when speaking of those who have not locked-step with Harmony Gold's new era of Robotech.

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

HERE IN THIS FORUM, WE AS FANS CAN AGREE WE ARE OPEN TO DISCUSSION AND OTHER PEOPLES IDEAS AND OPINIONS. BUT DEALING IN A PUBLICATION THAT WILL HAVE A HG STAMP ON IT AS ANYTHING BEING DONE WILL BE HANDLED IN A MATTER BY ITS CONTENT OR MALICIOUS INTENT OR HISTORY WITH THE COMPANY.

Again, you are confirming what I have long feared to be true: In searching for Harmony Gold to support this fanzine, you are willing to sacrifice freedom. At that point, the publication is not really a "fanzine" in the context of "expressing the opinion of the fans" as, by your own admission, everything must be run through Harmony Gold's filters first. I respect your abilities to gain these connections and perhaps bring Robotech to a larger audience, but what sacrifices are going to be made? How far are certain fans willing to diverge from the last twenty years' hallmarks of Robotech (passionate disagreement, artistic innovations from multiple sources, the willingness to differentiate quality productions from poorly executed ones) in order to be...

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

RE IMAGINING EVERYTHING FROM THE PAST

...and perhaps, in the view of some, simultaneously losing sight of one's roots? If a magazine is going to be so unprincipled and morally base as to not care about the past as long as the future is safe, then what is it but a glorified advertisement for those in-charge of this evolution?
15 years 2 months ago #2920

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

Replied by LadyGrimes on topic Re:Here's a thought

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

ANY LIVE ACTION IS WHAT IT IS OUT THERE. I DONT SEE REALLY ANY PROBLEM IF THEY FRESH IT UP. DONT GET ME WRONG, I AM ALL ABOUT THE 80'S. BUT I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO SEE IT IN TODAYS TIME FRAME.

I ALSO SEEN THE BOARDS AS WELL. ROP OFF THIS RIPP OFF THAT. BUT THEN ITS WHAT OTHER PEOPLE OPINIONS COUNT AS WELL. AND THATS THROUGH TICKET SALES. THOSE PEOPLE OPINION COUNT AS WELL. NOT JUST BOARD MEMBERS.

It depends on the definition of "fresh it up"
which could either be good or bad, but let's hope it's good and not bad. Also as I said before, style is a very important factor, I mean for example look at ATLANTECH, what is the first thing you notice about it? The style! DING DING DING!!!!! The slang, the vegas like city, and the jazz age clothing.
And that's what makes it stand out, that's what makes it unique and creative. Now if you were to take it all away, it would be crap, it wouldnt have the same appeal as it does, and that's exactly how I see Robotech.

Which is why I think they should keep the 80's look, because for one, that is how we remember the original series, second it would make it unique in comparison to everything else, and third it would be a NEW creative approach. And hollywood is obviously desperate for that! now aint that the sad truth?

But oh listen to me bitch, I'm just sick and tired of the same crap, and as much as I love Robotech, I don't want to see it become that same crap. I don't want it to become something I feel the need to avoid because it's nothing but a big damn competition to beat Transformers, in which I suspect that's exactly what it is.

I mean shit, do they ever put their heart and soul into something and do it because they love it? Sure as hell doesnt seem like it, but then again what do I know?
I'm livin in my own little world, and you know what? I'm just dandy, and I do what I do because I love it!
But I also love Robotech and don't want to see it suffer,
wouldn't you agree?

15 years 2 months ago #2921

Time to create page: 0.408 seconds