New Writer for RLAM - Tom Rob Smith

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by rtsurfer on topic Re: TOM ROB SMITH, "I'm not working on that project anymore"

How many writers has the Robotech movie gone through now?
"rtsurfer's two cent..." ;O)

rtsurfer's ROBOTECH archive
13 years 3 months ago #14523

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Replied by zinjo on topic Re: New Writer for RLAM - Tom Rob Smith

I think its reasonable to expect that the RT LAM is DOA for the moment. There is little money in hollywood to spend on a film that can't even settle on a premise.

I would think that the fact that the Macross portion of the story is unavailable to them is a hobbling factor. Though as an aspiring screenwriter myself, I can see several ways they could approach the material without Macross and it would work.

IMHO, the problem is that the powers that be really don't know what needs to go into the film to make it a success and that is too scary for a studio exec when an absolute minimum film budget for this type of film is going to be $50m and the US economy is still mostly in the ditch...

These days, one bad movie call and you are out on your ass...

Maybe the interest will come back if the 3rd Transformers movie is a success, but one must keep in mind that the longer TF gets the only limelight for the transforming robot genre, the sooner the flame will burn out and the cycle of interest will end.
13 years 3 months ago #14524

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master
  • Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!
  • Thank you received: 947

Replied by LadyGrimes on topic Re: New Writer for RLAM - Tom Rob Smith

okay now I completely disagree with the "if Transformers 3 movie is a success or not" comment, because movies should not be made just to compete with one another, you make a damn movie because you want to, if its just to compete then why do it at all? It doesn't matter what the current trend is either, a movie can be successful without following what is popular, it just depends on the ability of the cast and the story telling. Effects also play a major part but for those to work the rest has to be convincing.

I personally believe the project has been shelved or else we'd be hearing a lot more by now. The fact that there is absolutely nothing new about the progress just means it is done with. I also believe that the Bayformers series has been a failure in delivering a decent story. Its just been shitty robot designs which disgrace the original show and fan service. If there ever was an RT movie, I believe it could be much better, cause there's more of a story to work with than Bayformers.

Thank you @AB for my adorable new avatar! <3
13 years 3 months ago #14525

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re: New Writer for RLAM - Tom Rob Smith

Biollante wrote:

okay now I completely disagree with the "if Transformers 3 movie is a success or not" comment, because movies should not be made just to compete with one another, you make a damn movie because you want to, if its just to compete then why do it at all? It doesn't matter what the current trend is either, a movie can be successful without following what is popular, it just depends on the ability of the cast and the story telling. Effects also play a major part but for those to work the rest has to be convincing.

ONE OF THE MAJOR REASONS I DON'T GO TO THE MOVIES AS MUCH AS I DID BACK IN THE 80'S.

NOW WHEN THEY MAKE A MOVIE THEY JUST DON'T HIRE ONE WRITER. THEY HIRE A BUNCH OF THEM AND LOOK AROUND FOR THE BEST SCRIPT. UP TO EVEN COMBINING AND DOING RE WRITES AND MORE RE-WRITES AND SOME CHANGED BY THE DIRECTOR HIMSELF THROUGH HIS OWN WRITERS AS PRODUCTION MOVES.

WE ONLY HEAR OF THE ONES THAT COME OUT AND SPEAK RIGHT NOW AND NOT WHAT IS GOING ON ON PRODUCTION.

WE ARE NOT SURE THE DRAFT SCRIPT THAT IS OUT THERE IS FROM TOM HIMSELF OR EVEN Lawrence Kasdan, Alfred Gough and Miles Millar AS WELL.

SO STILL A WAIT AND SEE.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
Last edit: 13 years 2 months ago by MEMO1DOMINION.
13 years 2 months ago #14530

Replied by Kyjon on topic Re: New Writer for RLAM - Tom Rob Smith

Untill Robotech becomes mainstream (it's not sad to say) this production will lag on. There is just not enough of us to inspire the studios to give a green light to this project.
13 years 2 months ago #14533
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re: New Writer for RLAM - Tom Rob Smith

YUP.

ALWAYS SAID THE IT WILL BE A LOOONG TIME.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
13 years 2 months ago #14534

Replied by zinjo on topic Re: New Writer for RLAM - Tom Rob Smith

The thing is that just because IMDB lists a "script" doesn't mean a shooting script exists. Those updates are posted by the production companies and if HG is involved you can't really count on the truth of it.

The best opportunity to get a transforming robot movie made was after TF 1, when all the industry was a buzz with the success of Transformers. Trouble was that no one had anything qued up.

If HG had any vison they'd have been preparing a LAM script as soon as TF went into production, just in case.

Transformers was the first successful North American movie about giant robots ever! The reality is that it may well end up being the "only" franchise produced. The "market" that the Harvard grad Studio execs look at is beginning to cool to the genre and it may well be a long time before another giant robot movie is greenlit again.

Avatar has made SciFi popular again, but if you notice not many SF films in production involve robots, never mind giant transforming ones...
Last edit: 13 years 2 months ago by zinjo.
13 years 2 months ago #14552

Time to create page: 0.500 seconds