heres an interesting discussion

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by HashiNoUsagi on topic Re:heres an interesting discussion

Viper wrote:

No... leave the love triangle out of it, and let Minmei be a semi-background character. She'll have her fans, and Hunter will have Hayes.

What?! I think that's a terrible idea. I'm not a huge Minmei fan, but she's important to the story. She helps builds Rick and Lisa's relationship. They don't have to give her a huge part, but there still needs to be that connection. I agree that the focus should be on Rick and Lisa's relationship. Like they wouldn't need to do scenes based on being trapped in the random part of the SDF-1. Rick saves her, they stay in contact, and there's the tension of the two of them liking each other.

I don't know how I feel about the music. If they are trying to modernize it, then I guess the best bet is to stick with a pop princess appeal. Someone with innocence and talent. I don't think I would be too into any of the original Minmei songs getting re-done, except "We Will Win" .
Hasn't done anything stupid enough to get banned from any forum.....yet.
14 years 8 months ago #5430

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Viper
  • Sentinal
  • Sentinal
  • Destroid Tomahawk Aficianado

Replied by Viper on topic Re:heres an interesting discussion

I gotta disagree, Hashi...

First, if you look at the thing from the viewpoint of mechanics, the original Macross saga was spread over a great many half-hour episodes, where they could take the time to expand on the relationship of Minmei, Hunter, and Hayes. In a 2-hour movie? I don't think it would be possible.

A lot of fans are interested in the "Robo" aspect of the Robotech LAM. Now, simply put, if you cram a bunch of silly, unneeded love-triangle BS into a flick with so many other aspects in it, it draws away from stuff that might be more pertinent and functional.

Secondly, Minmei is one of the least liked characters in all of Robotech (Tying 'Annie' and 'Dana'). I'm absolutely certain that two thing will happen: One, you'll have only a moderate reception from long-standing fans who wanted more. Second, prospective new fans will be looking for something and getting something else instead (Namely, a sappy, idiotic love traingle where they expected to see big robots blasting the crap out of each other.)

To be honest, the Minmei-Hunter-Hayes love triangle is the most disposable aaspect of the Macross Saga.
Wrongfully Banned by MEMO1DOMINION on Robotech.com!

www.destroidslastdance.com
14 years 8 months ago #5433

• Oneoneseven
  • Micronian
  • Micronian
  • CO of the 59th CoTOG Marine detachment

Replied by Oneoneseven on topic Re:heres an interesting discussion

Viper wrote:

I gotta disagree, Hashi...

First, if you look at the thing from the viewpoint of mechanics, the original Macross saga was spread over a great many half-hour episodes, where they could take the time to expand on the relationship of Minmei, Hunter, and Hayes. In a 2-hour movie? I don't think it would be possible.

And here I'd have to disagree. Macross: DYRL did a good job of doing just that (with the respective characters). While still having a good amount of the "Awesome robot fighting action"(TM) we all know, love, and respect from the series (IMO).

Viper wrote:

A lot of fans are interested in the "Robo" aspect of the Robotech LAM. Now, simply put, if you cram a bunch of silly, unneeded love-triangle BS into a flick with so many other aspects in it, it draws away from stuff that might be more pertinent and functional.

Well to be completely honest, while I first started watching Robotech because of the "Sweet jumping noodles! Planes! That turn in to robots! Robots that turn into planes! WOO-HOO!" I kept on watching because of the characters and the triangle that developed (and this was with me being a male at the age of 10/11-ish.) And, though I cringe to admit it, I did start off thinking that Rick and Minmei needed to hook up.:unsure:

Viper wrote:

Secondly, Minmei is one of the least liked characters in all of Robotech (Tying 'Annie' and 'Dana'). I'm absolutely certain that two thing will happen: One, you'll have only a moderate reception from long-standing fans who wanted more. Second, prospective new fans will be looking for something and getting something else instead (Namely, a sappy, idiotic love traingle where they expected to see big robots blasting the crap out of each other.)

Really? I like the character of Minmei (provied that she is barred from performing "It's my time to be a star" ever) I think that she's been given a thoroughly negatively biased rap by the "old timers" that is leading to the "new timers" looking at her with disdain initially. Much in the same way as I nearly did with Leonard in the Masters. (I only saw the first chunk before the station dropped the show, so it wasn't until I got the DVDs that I actually finished watching Robotech. :dry: )
Besides, I prefer watching things that are a little deeper than just "Blowing crap to kingdom come". Not that that's bad per se, but I prefer "meat and potatos" to "Greasy hamburger" so to speak.

Viper wrote:

To be honest, the Minmei-Hunter-Hayes love triangle is the most disposable aaspect of the Macross Saga.

Most disposable? I (again) have to disagree, the whole triangle is what forced Rick to grow up and make decisions. And it created points of conflict (internal and external) that helped to drive the character's development. Admittedly it was not the only driving point for Rick, Lisa, and Minmei. But I would feel gypped if they removed it completely. (Especially given that it would be possible to pull it off even in the limited time scale.)
14 years 8 months ago #5434

• Viper
  • Sentinal
  • Sentinal

Macross: DYRL did a good job of doing just that

With respect, I have to disagree with this point. A simple experiment would be in order.

Hypothically speaking, find someone that has no knowledge whatsoever of SDF-Macross, DYRL, or any of the other series'. Next, give them a screening of DYRL, and see if they can completely follow the story.

My bet is that they'd be a bit confused. DYRL, as wonderful as it is, depends on the idea that you have SOME prior knowledge of the SDF-Macross series and/or history.

For the RT LAM to work, they have to oversome one rather cumbersome obstacle. 'Robotech' is, unfortunately, rather obscure. The fan base is quite small, compared to 'Star Trek' or 'Star Wars', and the principle of DYRL works on people knowing about it beforehand. Something that's easily done in Japan, since Macross is so popular, but not so possible here in the US.

For the LAM to work, they'd have to build it from the start under an assumption that absolutely NO-ONE knows about the Macross Saga, otherwise you run the risk of more confusion. Ultimately, HG's goal for the RT LAM is to gain more fans to make the franchise financially viable, and to do that, they cannot just rely on the existing fanbase. They have to create new fans. To this end, they have to re-tell the entire story.

Now, a damn good example of this being done is 'The Lord Of The Rings'. Peter Jackson did one heck of a good job telling the entire story (Even the relevant aspect of 'The Hobbit') in the series he made. Granted, he had 7 to 9 hours total film time to do this, and certain parts of the original books were feleted, but look what he did accomplish. If I remember correctly, the Tolkien estate had never seen so many book sales as they did shortly after the release of 'Fellowship'.

Last edit: 14 years 8 months ago by Viper.
14 years 8 months ago #5435

• Viper
  • Sentinal
  • Sentinal

BTW: I am loving this atmosphere of 'intelligent, civil, and MATURE' debate! SOOOO much better than what's been seen before.

B)

14 years 8 months ago #5437

• LadyGrimes
  • LadyGrimes's Avatar Topic Author
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master
  • Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!
  • Thank you received: 947

Replied by LadyGrimes on topic Re:heres an interesting discussion

Viper wrote:

BTW: I am loving this atmosphere of 'intelligent, civil, and MATURE' debate! SOOOO much better than what's been seen before.

B)

yes and let's keep it this way please :]

here's the description from the first announcement of the robotech lam

A sprawling sci-fi epic, "Robotech" takes place at a time when Earth has developed giant robots from the technology on an alien spacecraft that crashed on a South Pacific isle. Mankind is forced to use the technology to fend off three successive waves of alien invasions. The first invasion concerns a battle with a race of giant warriors who seek to retrieve their flagship's energy source known as "protoculture," and the planet's survival ends up in the hands of two young pilots.

wait a minute just Two? I wonder who these "two" could be?
Rick Hunter and.....Max? :S

Thank you @AB for my adorable new avatar! <3
14 years 8 months ago #5438

• Viper
  • Sentinal
  • Sentinal

Ok, HP... Give us a link. Where did this come from?

14 years 8 months ago #5439

• LadyGrimes
  • LadyGrimes's Avatar Topic Author
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master
  • Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!
  • Thank you received: 947

Replied by LadyGrimes on topic Re:heres an interesting discussion

Viper wrote:

Ok, HP... Give us a link. Where did this come from?

hurr

gawker.com/hollywood/in-development/tobe...ts-action-297535.php

Thank you @AB for my adorable new avatar! <3
14 years 8 months ago #5440

Time to create page: 0.341 seconds