What is the Greatest Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Action Trilogy/Saga of ALL TIME??

• Lancer
  • Lancer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Academy Cadet
  • Academy Cadet
  • Robotech Guru Extraordinaire!
  • Thank you received: 0

What is the Greatest Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Action Trilogy/Saga of ALL TIME?? was created by Lancer

Hey film fans...

After seeing the final installment of Harry Potter it got me thinking, what is the greatest trilogy/saga in the Sci-fi/Fantasy/Action world?

Not including Horror films this is a tough decision...

Rules...I will give choices and you will have to come up w/ the Top 5. Any movies not on my list you may substitute but please give reasons!

Choices...

Star Wars Saga

Lord of the Rings Trilogy (Soon to be a Saga)

Star Trek Saga

Indiana Jones Saga

Harry Potter Saga

Alien Saga

Terminator Saga

Matrix Trilogy

Transformers Trilogy

X-Men Saga

Spiderman Trilogy (Soon Redux)

Blade Trilogy

James Bond Saga

Bourne Trilogy (Soon to be Saga)

Lethal Weapon Saga

Die Hard Saga <===I FORGOT THIS ONE!

Jack Ryan Saga (Hunt for Red October/Patriot Games/Clear & Present Danger/Sum of All Fears)

Dirty Harry Saga

Rambo Trilogy

Batman Saga (All Versions Tim Burton/Schumaker, Original, Christopher Nolan)

Superman Saga (Donner Version & Sequels, Singer Version)

I will NOT accept TV, this is purely Theatrical Versions of Series. Happy Debating!

Lancer Out!
NONJA
"Robotech is God...Robotech is Life"--I said this in the Shadow Chronicles DVD
Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by Lancer.
12 years 9 months ago #17182

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Replied by rtsurfer on topic Re: What is the Greatest Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Action Trilogy/Saga of ALL TIME??

IMO some of your choices are too broad and inclusive...
People have their fav set of James Bond movies, those should be either split up by actor or era. Star Wars is two trilogys, they were created during different technological eras and with different mindsets, plus the original trilogy has the redux versions. Star Trek is actually 3 sets of movies 1-6 Classic, Gen-Nem TNG, & ST09 reboot. There's the X-men trilogy then there's the X-men expansions which could probably be sub-grouped as well by origin/pre-quel and sequel. While most of the Batman motion pictures are good movies they shouldn't be thrown in together, they should like James Bond either be split by Director, actors, or era. The style and themes are significantly different through them. Superman is tricky, returns belongs but doesn't, besides its boring and sterile, and many fans don't consider SM III & IV as part of the SM series, they were more like parodies than actual sequels. Alien Trilogy, weren't there 4 alien movies, did you leave out AIII or AIV, plus the AVP series? I know some fans would like to pretend there were only two alien movies lol.
"rtsurfer's two cent..." ;O)

rtsurfer's ROBOTECH archive
Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by rtsurfer.
12 years 9 months ago #17183

• Lancer
  • Academy Cadet
  • Academy Cadet

Replied by Lancer on topic Re: What is the Greatest Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Action Trilogy/Saga of ALL TIME??

I just simplified matters for arguments sake but your point is well taken...As for Alien, I didnt count AVP or its sequal just the orig. Ripley versions
12 years 9 months ago #17184

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Gubaba on topic Re: What is the Greatest Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Action Trilogy/Saga of ALL TIME??

Just by process of elimination, I guess I have to say Lord of the Rings...all of the other series you mention are wildly inconsistent, with some very good movies and some incredibly bad movies.

If you were doing books, it'd be easier, I think.
12 years 9 months ago #17185

• Lancer
  • Academy Cadet
  • Academy Cadet

Replied by Lancer on topic Re: What is the Greatest Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Action Trilogy/Saga of ALL TIME??

Books would be harder I would think...there are sooooo many to choice from...Star Wars, Wheel of Time, Song of Fire & Ice, Etc.
12 years 9 months ago #17187

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Gubaba on topic Re: What is the Greatest Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Action Trilogy/Saga of ALL TIME??

Lancer wrote:

Books would be harder I would think...there are sooooo many to choice from...Star Wars, Wheel of Time, Song of Fire & Ice, Etc.

Okay, let's be real here...no Star Wars novel is ever going to be Top-Class SF. Neither is Wheel of Time (hell, the author died before he could complete it!), and George R.R. Martin's series is still ongoing.

At least with books, we'd get a few completely awesome through-and-through sagas, instead of "sporadically great with a few terrible installments" films.

Still, I nominate Stephen R.Donaldson, for both The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, and The Gap Series.

Second is Frank Herbert, for The Dune Trilogy. Third is J.R.R. Tolkien. Fourth is Michael Moorcock.
12 years 9 months ago #17189

• Brooklyn-Red-Leg
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter

Replied by Brooklyn-Red-Leg on topic Re: What is the Greatest Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Action Trilogy/Saga of ALL TIME??

If we're doing books, I gotta go with The Lord of the Rings. There is literally no other piece of modern mytho-historic/fantasy fiction that compares.

Second, third and fourth places would be Heinlein's classic Libertarian SF - Starship Troopers, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress and Stranger in a Strange Land.

If we're doing movies, The Empire Strikes Back is the top for Sci-Fi. Aliens by Cameron is probably #2.
12 years 9 months ago #17190

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re: What is the Greatest Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Action Trilogy/Saga of ALL TIME??

Second is Frank Herbert, for The Dune Trilogy

THIS ONE I LIKE AS WELL AS THE LORD OF THE RINGS.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
12 years 9 months ago #17192

Time to create page: 0.357 seconds