Vietnam Era Flight simulations

• Last_Valk_Standing
  • Last_Valk_Standing's Avatar Topic Author
  • REF Member
  • REF Member
  • SDF-1 Shellback
  • Thank you received: 2

Vietnam Era Flight simulations was created by Last_Valk_Standing

I don't know about anyone else here but I'm a big aviation fanatic. I love my sim's and like most fans of that catagory i do have my share of combat style simulations. But it seems that my absolute favorite to learn about (Vietnam) is almost non-existant in this medium! Personally i'm about sick of WWII and modern warfare.

Janes did a fair one back in the 90's but it is very dated by now and had CTD issues. after that really it was ignored. Finally i found Wings Over Vietnam for PC.

This game tried to pull it off and was ALMOST successful but lacked in too many places to really hit the mark.
Recently i came across Yankee Air Pirates.NET where Real Vietnam Vets got together to accumulate their stories, eventually they expanded this into reworking WOV using better Graphics and Actual missions as the Vets (Robin Olds ring any bells here? WW2 Ace, Korea Vet, AND Vietnam Ace as well?) remember them. The game looks fantastic and as i sit here reading FAST MOVERS again for the millionth time while History Channel's Dog fights runs Mig killers on my comp i feel myself getting really excited to see this forgotten subject actually getting some attention.

In honor of my good Friend Don who only recently came out of hideing due to the horrific reception he got on return from his tour in Nam' I think it is about time they got some recognition. :silly:

sorry no sound here.
Co-Commander, Vulture Flight 59th Combined Tactical Operations Group (Gamma Wing)

Member of AkL
Huge fan of Attention On Deck website.

Official Reporter for MNN (Macross News Network LOL)
15 years 2 months ago #2744

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:Vietnam Era Flight simulations

NEVER A GAMER ON THESE FLYGHT SIMS. BUT I DO LIKE READING BOOKS ABOUT THE ACE FLYERS OF TEH VIETNAM ERA.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
15 years 2 months ago #2750

• Last_Valk_Standing
  • REF Member
  • REF Member
  • SDF-1 Shellback

Replied by Last_Valk_Standing on topic Re:Vietnam Era Flight simulations

Well i would Deffinitly Recommend reading FAST MOVERS by John Darrell Sherwood. It's the actual accounts from aces like Robin Olds, Ed Rasimus(a wild weasle pilot who actually survived his 100 missions north) ect... It's one of my favorite books. I loved Flight of the Intruder but as good as it was this is real stuff LOL.
Co-Commander, Vulture Flight 59th Combined Tactical Operations Group (Gamma Wing)

Member of AkL

15 years 2 months ago #2757

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:Vietnam Era Flight simulations

I HAVE THAT BOOK!!!!!!

HEHEHE. HAS NICE PICTURES AS WELL
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
15 years 2 months ago #2760

• Last_Valk_Standing
  • REF Member
  • REF Member
  • SDF-1 Shellback

Replied by Last_Valk_Standing on topic Re:Vietnam Era Flight simulations

Good eye for good books then LOL! Best one out ther imo:laugh:

Member of AkL

15 years 2 months ago #2763

• Last_Valk_Standing
  • REF Member
  • REF Member
  • SDF-1 Shellback

Replied by Last_Valk_Standing on topic Video Game Ideas (Non-Robotech)

well since i started this thread awhile ago i figured i'd use it rather then start a new one. Even if no one responds i figure it's nice to rant some place lol!

I was just going through my old RTS games and honestly some of them are just bad. lol! Star Wars Fleet Commander sucks, Janes Fleet Commander is great but needs some mods to bring it up to date.

I have Strong Hold and it's expansions and i'm also a Total War fan. But it struck me today in my car how cool would it be if you could take a modern army and it's units back in time to engauge Nepolean or General Lee?

Now most ppl would say off the bat "Heck yeah the modern army would crush Lee and Napolean would be worthless against the modern Navy." Well while i agree with the Navy one the ground troups i'm not so sure of. How much of the victory would be due to equiptment? Look at Vietnam, our modern army was thrashed in many cases by rag-tag villagers.

Could a creative player lead the Union army to victory against the Axis powers of WW2? Could Alexander the Greats army defeat the British empire of 1760?

If set in a Total War/Risk style with attention to accuracy it would be very interesting and challengeing. Now i know there are a few similar games out there that have made an attempt at this but nothing i have found does what i would love to see. I think it would be pretty cool.

PS:so looking forward to the new Total War :D

Member of AkL

14 years 8 months ago #4770

Time to create page: 0.281 seconds