Criticism can be Destructive

• LadyGrimes
  • LadyGrimes's Avatar Topic Author
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master
  • Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!
  • Thank you received: 947

Criticism can be Destructive was created by LadyGrimes

That is, especially when it's coming from the worst critic; yourself.

We all have something we enjoy doing, something that can make the real world seem absent at the time, because we're so drawn to whatever it is we like to do. But, there's always a voice in the back of your head, a voice that will tell you, you're not as good as you thought.

It doesn't say you could do better, it says you'll never get better, that you'll always be horrible at it.
This is when self criticism becomes destructive, and you start to see things in a new light. This is when everything stops being fun, instead it becomes something you dread.

Yes I am going through this, and yes it's causing me to believe I'm not good at what I do. For the past few months I've been trying to fight these feelings, but sadly I'm losing that battle. I don't want to lose my motivation, I don't want to end up hating what I do, but as of now I am not thinking straight and I'm letting my emotions get the best of me.

I love art, I really do I just wish I knew why I can't satisfy myself anymore.
I have dreams just like anyone else, but right now I don't think they will ever come true. They're just pipe dreams, and they're hanging by a thread because I'm pondering the thought of completely giving up on them
and it's all because of this self destructive criticism.

Those of you who are talented, don't let it happen to you
cause I'm sure you'll make it big one day
but as for me, I don't see the point in even trying anymore
why keep doing it, if I can't even please myself?
I'm better off finding another hobby that my self loathing can ruin too.

and also I'm tired of being ignored by a certain someone
I thought they were my friend, but I guess I was deluded into believing that as well.
Sorry for anything I did, even though I really don't know what I did.

And with that, I take my leave
<3 good day

Thank you @AB for my adorable new avatar! <3
15 years 3 weeks ago #3358

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• isamu
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Admiral Commander & Chief lol
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by isamu on topic Re:Criticism can be Destructive

It's kinda sad to hear you say that
I thought your work was awesome
but to give up is not cool

I've seen you're art grow, I've seen you improve
I've seen your work get better every time

I, myself go threw the same thing!
but you have to say to yourself I can do better!
if you mess up do it again!
if you're not happy with you're work?!
do it until you get it right!

never surrender to you're self or to know one

I'm not the best artist, or at grammar
but I do my best
and that's what counts
if people say you suck! they suck
and don't take it to the heart! use that anger and frustration to make your work better let it be your fuel

so don't give up! don't be such a baby!
suck it up!

because you have a talent and its waiting to explode
to a higher level of skill!!!!!!!!
if you like my art and would like to see more of my work go to isamu5979.deviantart.com/
you can also go Here www.robotechx.com/index.php?option=com_k...iew&catid=12&id=2025 to see all the Pin-up girls
ROBOTECH AVATARS HERE: www.robotechx.com/forums/2-x-fandom/4266-avatars.html#5619
15 years 3 weeks ago #3360

Replied by HashiNoUsagi on topic Re:Criticism can be Destructive

HappyPenguins wrote:

and also I'm tired of being ignored by a certain someone
I thought they were my friend, but I guess I was deluded into believing that as well.
Sorry for anything I did, even though I really don't know what I did.

wtf? Is that a message for someone on the boards? O_o Who upset her?

Sometimes art is something that needs to come and go. You cant be constantly working on art. I'm jealous if there's anyone out there that can work on the same type of work all of the time. Sometimes you need to take a break and focus on other things or work on different types of art. Eventually you should get the feeling back to your previous art and be able to get back into it.

I think you're really being hard on yourself. I bet you my art is 10 times worst than yours. (If you want me to prove it, I'll scan a pic or two for you =P) I get down on myself all of the time. I wish I could do better and that I had more talent. There's art I want to draw and stories I want to write, but I lack the talent necessary to get the idea in my head down out. Despite that, I never give up. It doesn't matter how bad it is, to give up would be to kill a part of myself that wants to express my creative side.

Is this something that you're trying to make a living doing or is it something that you do in your spare time?
Hasn't done anything stupid enough to get banned from any forum.....yet.
15 years 3 weeks ago #3361

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

Replied by LadyGrimes on topic Re:Criticism can be Destructive

thanks I appreciate your comments I guess I'm just going through a phase is all.
It happens every now and then, but it just decided to target me when I'm most vulnerable.

You see I have a thyroid condition, it's a birth defect
and it causes me to have episodes where I'm moody and go from being happy to depressed for no reason, and it decided to occur at the worst time and it just added on.

But you're right I shouldn't give up, I guess I need to stop being hard on myself, it's not easy though.
But it's even harder when I don't get any support from my own family, who pretty much look down on me for being into art in the first place ;\

Hopefully tomorrow I'll come to my senses I'm just not in a good mood and I've been under a lot of stress lately.

but thanks again

15 years 3 weeks ago #3362

• isamu
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter

cheer up or suffer!

yeah thats right
I'll subtract Karma from yah!!! ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!

yeah I went their :P
if you like my art and would like to see more of my work go to isamu5979.deviantart.com/
you can also go Here www.robotechx.com/index.php?option=com_k...iew&catid=12&id=2025 to see all the Pin-up girls
ROBOTECH AVATARS HERE: www.robotechx.com/forums/2-x-fandom/4266-avatars.html#5619
15 years 3 weeks ago #3364

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

:( noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
not my karma *sniff* *sniff*

15 years 3 weeks ago #3366

• isamu
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter

then cheer up! :angry:

HA HA HA HAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! :laugh:

laugh with me!!! Laugh :angry: ha ha ha haaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!
Last edit: 15 years 3 weeks ago by isamu.
15 years 3 weeks ago #3367

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

yes that message was for someone here, and they must of seen it cause they're talking to me right now.

And I'm sure you aren't that bad, anyone can learn to draw cause it's not something you're born with, it's something you learn to do over time.

I've been doing it as long as I can remember, and when I think about it, it makes me wonder why I'm not better especially if I've been drawing for so long.
but like I've said in my previous post, I'm just too hard on myself sometimes, and it's kinda gotten out of hand tonight.
Usually when I'm in this state of mind, I'm not thinking straight.

15 years 3 weeks ago #3368

Replied by HashiNoUsagi on topic Re:Criticism can be Destructive

HappyPenguins- Yuck, Thyroid problems aren't fun. I'm sorry to hear about that. =(

Parents don't always understand the things we like. You would have to be super lucky to get parents who fully support their childrens' dreams. I know that if my parents were ever supportive I would have done something phenomenal. Parents aren't always there for you, but that's why you have good friends or sometimes significant others.

If you're trying to do art for a living, it's a hard task. It's not easy to make a living by doing art. Sometimes you need to do some other type of work until you can accomplish enough in your art to start an art career. Right now finding any job is hard though -_- . Sorry if this has nothing to do with your problems.
Hasn't done anything stupid enough to get banned from any forum.....yet.
15 years 3 weeks ago #3369

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

yeah it's not easy living with this condition because it makes me mentally unstable at times.
I used to take meds for it, but they only made things worse so I had to stop them.

I'm just fortunate it only happens every now and then, instead of being something to deal with a on a daily basis.

and I hate to say it but I don't have a whole lot of friends, so the ones I do have I try hard not to lose.
which is why I get paranoid when they seemingly ignore me, cause then I'm left to think I've done something wrong.

as for my family... well I still love them but I never tell them what I do, if it involves art, because I've had enough years of them looking down on me for it.

Also I'd like to do art for a living one day, but i know it's not possible right now but I just don't want to grow to hate it, because it's always been a special hobby of mine and I dont want it turning into something else.

15 years 3 weeks ago #3370

Time to create page: 0.380 seconds