• Sentinal
  • Sentinal
  • Destroid Tomahawk Aficianado
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by Viper on topic Re:Criticism can be Destructive

"Anyone can learn to draw"...?

Uhhh... NOPE!! Not me!

That's why I attempt to write... hehehe

Your stuff is good! Damn good. Trust me, I grew up under a painter, and I developed a good eye (weatehr I wanted to or not).

Don't lose heart, HP. Besides, you're the only one who's commented on my fic. Means a lot!
Wrongfully Banned by MEMO1DOMINION on Robotech.com!

www.destroidslastdance.com
14 years 11 months ago #3376

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• LadyGrimes
  • LadyGrimes's Avatar Topic Author
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master
  • Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!
  • Thank you received: 947

Replied by LadyGrimes on topic Re:Criticism can be Destructive

Viper wrote:

"Anyone can learn to draw"...?

Uhhh... NOPE!! Not me!

That's why I attempt to write... hehehe

Your stuff is good! Damn good. Trust me, I grew up under a painter, and I developed a good eye (weatehr I wanted to or not).

Don't lose heart, HP. Besides, you're the only one who's commented on my fic. Means a lot!

Sure you can learn, I had a friend who had never drawn in her life and she suddenly started and has been getting really good
so good I used to suspect she was tracing.:huh:

And I'm glad you think my stuff is good, I just wish I'd accept it instead thinking I have to be some sort of perfectionist, but I've always been hard to please.
Back in High school when I was a senior, I had one of the greatest art teachers who really thought I had something, in fact he was going to recommend me to an art school.
And of course I turned down that offer because at the time I didn't think I had what it takes, and I wasn't considering making art into a career.

But still, a lot of what he said has inspired me, and all those years I've been using that inspiration to get better and I know I have, because I'm always comparing what I do now to what I've done years ago. He said that I'll keep getting better and better overtime, I've just got to have the ambition to do so.

And as a writer you are very talented, and so of course I commented because I feel it's important to support others, because it lets them know someone actually likes what they do and that drives them to keep at it because they know someone is interested.

Sadly I've been sick in bed all day with dreadful strep throat and upon being sick, I've had a lot of time to think things over and I have decided that I'm not going to give up. It would be stupid to give up on something I love just because of a guilty self conscience
besides, I would have nothing else to do, unless I wanted to turn house cleaning into a hobby :angry: no thank you

I really appreciate all the support I've been getting, it means a lot, and now I feel like a sap :(

Thank you @AB for my adorable new avatar! <3
14 years 11 months ago #3378

Replied by HashiNoUsagi on topic Re:Criticism can be Destructive

HappyPenguins wrote:

Sure you can learn, I had a friend who had never drawn in her life and she suddenly started and has been getting really good
so good I used to suspect she was tracing.:huh:

And I'm glad you think my stuff is good, I just wish I'd accept it instead thinking I have to be some sort of perfectionist, but I've always been hard to please.
Back in High school when I was a senior, I had one of the greatest art teachers who really thought I had something, in fact he was going to recommend me to an art school.
And of course I turned down that offer because at the time I didn't think I had what it takes, and I wasn't considering making art into a career.

But still, a lot of what he said has inspired me, and all those years I've been using that inspiration to get better and I know I have, because I'm always comparing what I do now to what I've done years ago. He said that I'll keep getting better and better overtime, I've just got to have the ambition to do so.

Some people have natural talents that others don't. Sometimes practice does help a person get better. Everyone has a limit. I think art is a little different, but there's still a limit. You can practice drawing a straight line all the time, but if you don't have the coordination or steadiness to draw it, then you may never be able to do it. The great thing about art is that if you can't do that you can learn you use tools or create a style that doesn't involve straight lines. If you're not happy with the work you're doing you can always try different styles or try different types of art. Maybe you'll find a style that suits you or use elements that will improve your original style. Does that make sense? ^_^;

As far as friends go...don't try too hard. If you're trying too hard to be friends with people, it will chase them away. Sometimes things happen and people can't always be there. They don't mean to ignore you or do it intentionally, but it just happens. You should give them time before jumping to conclusions. I don't know the situation, so I could be completely wrong about the whole thing. Friends come and go. Not everyone is lucky enough to have friends that last forever and in fact I think it's rare. People change, you can't always be friends with the same people, when you grow apart. Sometimes people have life changes like a new job, new g/f or b/f, or a kid and they are torn apart from their friends. It doesn't mean anything was your fault. They just have other priorities. It doesn't make you a bad person or any less of a person. It just means it's time to make new friends.
Hasn't done anything stupid enough to get banned from any forum.....yet.
14 years 11 months ago #3381

• SIGHUP
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Admin this!
  • Thank you received: 32

Replied by SIGHUP on topic Re:Criticism can be Destructive

Like I told you, get over it and get back to work! Don't waste your talents.
--David Pena
SIGHUP
www.robotechx.com - a fandom based site | RIP Carl Macek (1951-2010)
14 years 11 months ago #3382

• isamu
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Admiral Commander & Chief lol

Replied by isamu on topic Re:Criticism can be Destructive

HashiNoUsagi wrote:

Some people have natural talents that others don't. Sometimes practice does help a person get better. Everyone has a limit. I think art is a little different, but there's still a limit. You can practice drawing a straight line all the time, but if you don't have the coordination or steadiness to draw it, then you may never be able to do it. The great thing about art is that if you can't do that you can learn you use tools or create a style that doesn't involve straight lines. If you're not happy with the work you're doing you can always try different styles or try different types of art. Maybe you'll find a style that suits you or use elements that will improve your original style. Does that make sense? ^_^;

I disagree with you on limits! :angry:

People use to say I couldn’t get better at my art! that I should give up! THAT I REACHED MY "LIMIT"! :angry:
HA LIMIT! THEIR IS NO LIMIT!!! THATS SAYING, THATS ALL YOU GOT!!!
PEOPLE ARE ALWAYS LEARNING, ADAPTING, CHANGING! IF YOU SAY "I REACHED MY LIMIT" YOUR GIVING UP! OR TELLING PEOPLE "YOU'VE REACHED YOUR LIMIT" YOUR TELLING THEM TO GIVE UP!

I LIKE TO LEARN DIFFERRENT STYLES DIFFERENT WAYS OF DRAWING
IF I FEEL LIKE I HIT A ROAD BLOCK WITH MY ART WORK, I STOP, BUT ONLY TO REST MY MIND! I SEE IT AS IM GOING TO LEVEL UP TO THE NEXT STEP IN MY ART! BUT I'LL COME BACK WITH A VENGANCE!!

I LEARN FROM OTHER PEOPLE, I ASKED? HEY WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?!
IF I KNOW I DID OK THATS NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME!

IF YOU HANG AROUND ARTIST YOU SHOULD KNOW WHAT THEY GO THRU EVERY TIME! YOULL KNOW WE ALL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEMS
I'VE SEEN FRIENDS THAT COULNT DRAW TO BECOME REALLY GOOD ARTIST AFTER WORDS

ARTIST WHO SAY IM THE BEST ARTIST IN THE WORLD, IM BETTER THAN YOU, OR LOOK DOWN ON YOU ARE FULL OF SHIT AND ARE THE WORST ARTIST!

AND IF YOU CANT DRAW A STRAIGHT LINE!! IM SORRY!
BUT THERES SOMETHING WRONG WITH YOU!
THEIRS THIS THING CALLED A RULER! LOL :laugh: ITS A JOKE HA HA HAA?

AND I LOVE CRITICISM "WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU...
...ONLY MAKES YOU STRONGER!"
if you like my art and would like to see more of my work go to isamu5979.deviantart.com/
you can also go Here www.robotechx.com/index.php?option=com_k...iew&catid=12&id=2025 to see all the Pin-up girls
ROBOTECH AVATARS HERE: www.robotechx.com/forums/2-x-fandom/4266-avatars.html#5619
Last edit: 14 years 11 months ago by isamu.
14 years 11 months ago #3384

• Viper
  • Sentinal
  • Sentinal

If I may...

As I said before, I was raised by a painter, my mother. I've been present for the trials and tribulations of an artist.

For some, criticism can bolster thier resolve, and for others, it can be devastating. It all boils down to the individual person. If you rise above the criticism, you run the risk of becoming egocentric, to the point of being super-conceited. If you accept it, you run the risk of letting it overwhelm you, to the point that you can't do a damn thing.

Of course, these are EXTREMES, in the strictest sense of the word. Nothing here to indicate anyone or anything.

As far as overly-critical people, one must remember that art is like the proverbial fingerprint, in that it's all unique. What one person likes, say... a DaVinci, antoher hates. What another person embraces as the end-all be-all of artistic achievment, say, Andy Warhol, another views as a cheap knock-off of popular Americana, and a waste of time.

In the final analysis, though... When it comes down to the wire, as they say, there's a saying that means a lot to me.

"The Pain Passes, The Beauty Remains."
Renoir

Hope this helps.

14 years 11 months ago #3386

• isamu
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Admiral Commander & Chief lol

Replied by isamu on topic Re:Criticism can be Destructive

Nice choice in words! viper! :)
I agree with you!

but I've always said that the worst critic is yourself!
and you alone, will have to fight these demons within you!
we can say all say things to make you feel better,
but its up too you, if you want to listen, and be proud of work!

and viper I waiting for you to finish your story so I can comment :)
if you like my art and would like to see more of my work go to isamu5979.deviantart.com/
you can also go Here www.robotechx.com/index.php?option=com_k...iew&catid=12&id=2025 to see all the Pin-up girls
ROBOTECH AVATARS HERE: www.robotechx.com/forums/2-x-fandom/4266-avatars.html#5619
14 years 11 months ago #3387

• LadyGrimes
  • LadyGrimes's Avatar Topic Author
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master
  • Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!
  • Thank you received: 947

Replied by LadyGrimes on topic Re:Criticism can be Destructive

isamu wrote:

Nice choice in words! viper! :)
I agree with you!

but I've always said that the worst critic is yourself!
and you alone, will have to fight these demons within you!
we can say all say things to make you feel better,
but its up too you, if you want to listen, and be proud of work!

and viper I waiting for you to finish your story so I can comment :)

it's true, and like I said earlier I've been sick in bed all day and decided that giving up on what I love would be a bad choice, so I'm not going to
I'll grow thicker skin and tune myself out from now on:P

Thank you @AB for my adorable new avatar! <3
14 years 11 months ago #3388

• Viper
  • Sentinal
  • Sentinal

All the Best, HP.

Isamu, there are MANY MORE parts to come... this is gonna be on the scale of a small novel, so comment on what I got so far... :)

14 years 11 months ago #3393

• Viper
  • Sentinal
  • Sentinal

Ok, HP... a news update for you..

As I've stated previously, my mother is a painter. Not only this, but she's also a very serious student of the masters, Leonardo DaVinci being her absolute favorite, but also others ranging from George Bellows and Cecelia Beaux to Elizabeth Viguee-LeBrun, to Rembrandt, says to tell you the following:

"You are a damn fine artist, so cut the crap!"

She also would be more than happy to share info on technique, etc, any time you like.

My mother has an idea that she might like to send to you. Your larger portrait of the lady is somewhat suggestive of the "Art Nouveau" style. My momma wonders if you have studied the works of Aubrey Beardsley and Alphonse Mucha.

If not, she suggests that you find info on these two masters of the 'Neuveau' style. She thinks they might even inspire you.

Last edit: 14 years 11 months ago by Viper.
14 years 11 months ago #3395

Time to create page: 0.397 seconds