Question about VLC Player

• Seto-Kaiba
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Question about VLC Player was created by Seto-Kaiba

Hey guys, I know this is about as unheard of as a two-headed man eating the Loch Ness monster, but I've actually run across a computer problem I don't know how to solve. So I'm turning to you guys in hopes that there'll be someone here who's more familiar with the piece of offending software than I am...

A few weeks back I had to send my good laptop in to get its motherboard replaced, and in the process the hamfisted tech support people at Hewlett-Packard reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled the factory image. So once I got it back I reformatted it again, did a clean install of Windows, and started putting my software back onto it when I hit a snag.

Y'see, for the longest time I've been using the Combined Community Codec Pack as my "one-stop-shop" for all of the video and audio codecs and players that're recommended for viewing fansubbed anime. Until recently, the packs included ZoomPlayer 5.50 as the recommended player for running OGM and MKV files, but it's been eliminated in the latest update, so I had to bite the bullet and switch to VLC. When I went to test VLC out after installing it, I noticed that when I skip forward a bit in MKV and OGM videos, it causes some artifacts to appear on the screen (in the form of blocky sections of frozen video) for a second or two before the video catches up.

Does anyone know a way to remedy that, or a configuration change for VLC that'll correct that? It's not a big issue, but it's damn obnoxious.
14 years 7 months ago #6528

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:Question about VLC Player

HEHEHE

SAME PROBLEM HERE A WHILE BACK. AND NOT ONLY THAT. THAT LAST UPDATE ALSO SCREWED WITH THE SOUND AS WELL. SINCE I KNEW IT WAS VLC I THINK IT CAME WITH A BAD PROGRAM OR BUG SO I JUST RE CLEANED EVERYTHING AND INSTALLED THE LAST VERSION OF VLC AND IGNORED THE UPDATE. SINCE THEN I HAVE NO PROBLEM. BUT I THINK I HAD TO INSTALL AVAST TO GO AFTER ANY BUGS STILL IN THE FILES. SIGH HELPED ME IN THAT DEPARTMENT.

SO IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS WITH SOUND ITS VLC. FOR SOME REASON THAT NEW DOWNLOAD DOES NOT ATTACHE VERY WELL TO THE DRIVES.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
14 years 7 months ago #6532

• SIGHUP
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Admin this!
  • Thank you received: 32

Replied by SIGHUP on topic Re:Question about VLC Player

Ah yes the great VLC!

@Seto

Out of curiosity why the resistance to the open-source VLC? I've always used it because it allowed me to play .mkv and .ogm conitainers. Those formats usually around in subs like you say.

How old is your system? I get artifacts and what not on certain high quality files. But my system is rather old. You can tweak the Video output settings.
--David Pena
SIGHUP
www.robotechx.com - a fandom based site | RIP Carl Macek (1951-2010)
14 years 7 months ago #6535

• Seto-Kaiba
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Seto-Kaiba on topic Re:Question about VLC Player

SIGHUP wrote:

Out of curiosity why the resistance to the open-source VLC? I've always used it because it allowed me to play .mkv and .ogm containers. Those formats usually around in subs like you say.

Back when I first started getting involved with fan-subbed anime, VLC player didn't seem to like my desktop's high-end graphics cards (a pair of GeForce 7800GTX's) so it stuttered like mad most of the time. I started using ZoomPlayer as a replacement because it didn't exhibit those issues, and I just sort of stuck with it ever since, even after I traded up to even more potent systems.

SIGHUP wrote:

How old is your system? I get artifacts and what not on certain high quality files. But my system is rather old. You can tweak the Video output settings.

The laptop I'm having this difficulty on is about three years old, but it's still got the same power as your typical desktop (2.2GHz dual-core processor, 2048mB of RAM, and a GeForce Go 7600 GPU).

It's got more than enough power to render high-def videos with no difficulty, which is why the artifacts appearing in the videos when I skip forward is somewhat worrysome.
14 years 7 months ago #6536

Time to create page: 0.242 seconds