Length of the "Global Civil War"?

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by lil-mungus on topic Re: Length of the "Global Civil War"?

Gubaba wrote:

It still all seems exceedingly vague to me. Episode 1 indicates that peace followed the crash immediately, yet also leaves in a mention of an otherwise-undefined "Anti-Unification League." It seems that there's a contradiction here, which comes from trying to fit the Macross backstory into the Robotech backstory.

I suppose it could be seen as six of one, half-dozen of the other...that either a resistance happened (which would explain the "Anti-Unification League," but go against what the narrator says in episode 1) or it didn't (which would corroborate the narrator, but leave the "Anti-Unification League" unexplained).

Well Episode 1 could indicate that peace follows the crash if that is how you want to interpret it, but the narration never says there is no Anti-Unification resistance, only that there was Global war before hand & afterwards the world leaders banded together. World Leaders banding together does not exactly mean there is no resistance from rebels. So in which case the Narrator does not contradict the story. This leaves open to interpretation what could happen during this time. This view I already explained in somewhat detail in my earlier response knowing you may bring it up.

Also like Memo says the I don't the consider the Narrator the only one telling the story. He only has a small part to set up the main story, not to give details about the past or what may be considered insignificant.

I agree its vague. My opinion of having Anti-unification resistance is no less a probability than your view. If anything my view has more credibility with the mention of Anti-unification resistance the episodes of RT previously stated. Maybe not as substantial as mentioned in Macross but still at least something none the less. And still I think I have made a point that this resistance could be to the same magnitude of Macross if you actually read my prior responses.
12 years 1 month ago #18427

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re: Length of the "Global Civil War"?

lil mungus wrote:

Also like Memo says the I don't the consider the Narrator the only one telling the story. He only has a small part to set up the main story, not to give details about the past or what may be considered insignificant.

CORRECT.

LOOKING AT EPISODE I AND CHRONOLOGICAL EVENTS

SDF-1 CRASHES

NARRATOR GIVES A CLUE "Global war ravaged the earth at that time" 1999

A cease-fire was ordered, and world leaders banded together to form a united Earth government. Under the new government, the world's most brilliant minds formed a research team to study and restore the alien space fortress.

THAT BEING SAID I WOULD THINK IT WAS DONE IN 1999 BY THE NARRATORS TIMELINE STATEMENT. NEXT PART YOU CAN TAKE HIS STATEMENT EITHER WAY, 1999 OR THROUGHOUT TO 2009 WITH THE COUNTER TICKER TO THE CELEBRATION.

1999-2009

Deciphering parts of documents found onboard, they labored to unravel the secrets of an incredibly complex technology called 'Robotech.' Convinced that the scientists had solved this complex riddle, world leaders ordered a celebration.

NOW WE ARE IN 2009...EPISODE 1 TIME 9:00 THROUGH 9:40
ROY IS LETTING RICK KNOW THAT HE KNOWS ABOUT RICK WINING THE AMATEUR FLYING COMPETITION "LAST YEAR" 2008.

RICK REPLIES HE WON IT 8 YEARS IN A ROW, 2000-2008, THEN ASK ROY WHAT HE HAS BEEN DOING ALL THAT TIME...

2008-2009
ROY REPLIES HE WAS AT WAR AND SAYS THERE IS WRITING OF HIM ABOUT SHOOTING 108 ENEMY PLANES.

RICK ASK HIM ABOUT HIS PROMISE TO RETURN HOME AFTER THE WAR WAS OVER.

SO BESIDES BYE BYE MARS WHERE GLOVAL ADMITS A WAR, EXIDORE ADMITS A WAR, YOU HAVE ROY AND RICK TALKING ABOUT A WAR WHICH BOTH CONFIRM HAPPEN IN A SET OF TIME FRAME IN A ROBOTECH STORY AFTER THE NARRATORS CEASE FIRE "at that time" IN 1999.

SO A CEASE FIRE DOES NOT MEAN PEACE. THE NARRATOR NEVER MENTION WORLD PEACE.

"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by MEMO1DOMINION.
12 years 1 month ago #18428

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re: Length of the "Global Civil War"?

Gubaba wrote:

So which is it? Did the war end or not?

SO IN THE END. NO. WAR NEVER ENDED.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
12 years 1 month ago #18429

• Gubaba
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Gubaba on topic Re: Length of the "Global Civil War"?

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

lil mungus wrote:

CORRECT.

LOOKING AT EPISODE I AND CHRONOLOGICAL EVENTS

SDF-1 CRASHES

NARRATOR GIVES A CLUE "Global war ravaged the earth at that time" 1999

A cease-fire was ordered, and world leaders banded together to form a united Earth government. Under the new government, the world's most brilliant minds formed a research team to study and restore the alien space fortress.

THAT BEING SAID I WOULD THINK IT WAS DONE IN 1999 BY THE NARRATORS TIMELINE STATEMENT. NEXT PART YOU CAN TAKE HIS STATEMENT EITHER WAY, 1999 OR THROUGHOUT TO 2009 WITH THE COUNTER TICKER TO THE CELEBRATION.

1999-2009

Deciphering parts of documents found onboard, they labored to unravel the secrets of an incredibly complex technology called 'Robotech.' Convinced that the scientists had solved this complex riddle, world leaders ordered a celebration.

NOW WE ARE IN 2009...EPISODE 1 TIME 9:00 THROUGH 9:40
ROY IS LETTING RICK KNOW THAT HE KNOWS ABOUT RICK WINING THE AMATEUR FLYING COMPETITION "LAST YEAR" 2008.

RICK REPLIES HE WON IT 8 YEARS IN A ROW, 2000-2008, THEN ASK ROY WHAT HE HAS BEEN DOING ALL THAT TIME...

2008-2009
ROY REPLIES HE WAS AT WAR AND SAYS THERE IS WRITING OF HIM ABOUT SHOOTING 108 ENEMY PLANES.

RICK ASK HIM ABOUT HIS PROMISE TO RETURN HOME AFTER THE WAR WAS OVER.

SO BESIDES BYE BYE MARS WHERE GLOVAL ADMITS A WAR, EXIDORE ADMITS A WAR, YOU HAVE ROY AND RICK TALKING ABOUT A WAR WHICH BOTH CONFIRM HAPPEN IN A SET OF TIME FRAME IN A ROBOTECH STORY AFTER THE NARRATORS CEASE FIRE "at that time" IN 1999.

SO A CEASE FIRE DOES NOT MEAN PEACE. THE NARRATOR NEVER MENTION WORLD PEACE.

But the Robotech Graphic Novel (Plotted by CARL MACEK and thus clearly part of "CARL'S VISION") shows that Roy's war was pre-SDF-1 crash.

Or are you, Memo, saying that Carl's Vision wasn't sufficient...?
12 years 1 month ago #18432

• Thank you received: 3

Replied by MaverickLSC on topic Re: Length of the "Global Civil War"?

Memo is correct!

A ceasefire(truce) is a temporary stoppage of hostilities.

There is no indication that an armistice was signed that would formally end the global civil war, we have to assume then the war might of continued on from another level.

Perhaps a new cold war rather than a hot war ensued.

Mav...
The Sergeant Hartman of Robotech.com
12 years 1 month ago #18433

• Gubaba
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

MaverickLSC wrote:

Memo is correct!

A ceasefire(truce) is a temporary stoppage of hostilities.

There is no indication that an armistice was signed that would formally end the global civil war, we have to assume then the war might of continued on from another level.

Perhaps a new cold war rather than a hot war ensued.

Mav...

So...it's basically like if someone talked about WWI from a Cold War perspective, but made no mention of WWII?

That makes perfect sense.

Gubaba...

(The Sergeant Hartman of Robotech.com moderators!)
12 years 1 month ago #18434

So...it's basically like if someone talked about WWI from a Cold War perspective, but made no mention of WWII?

That makes perfect sense.

Nope, both WWI and WWII had an armistice signed at the end of their respective conflicts.

A better example is the Korean conflict (proper term) in which the war never officially ended.

journalism.berkeley.edu/projects/north_k...uce_a_view_from.html

The hostilities ended with a truce(ceasefire) but no official armistice was signed hence North Korea and South Korea are technically still at war.

At most, the use of verbal threats and other cold war tacticts like taking minor pots shots at one another along the DMZ continue between them.

Now here's an interesting thing to think about. In Robotech, the narrator mention 'global war ravaged the earth at the time' the conflict was past tense! But no armistice was indicated.

Watch from 3:31 onwards;

Mav...
12 years 1 month ago #18439

• Gubaba
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

MaverickLSC wrote:

Now here's an interesting thing to think about. In Robotech, the narrator mention 'global war ravaged the earth at the time' the conflict was past tense! But no armistice was indicated.

Watch from 3:31 onwards;

Mav...

Erm, that's kinda my point. It's it's the PAST TENSE, as you say.

Where's the mention of further conflict?
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by Gubaba.
12 years 1 month ago #18440

Gubaba wrote;

No armistice was indicated in the series, therefore i'm thinking much smaller scale conflicts continued similar to the US/Soviet cold war. Plus if a truce was broken at some point that would reignite hostilities.

I'm going to have to look again at the Robotech Graphics novels, comics and series to see if there's any indications pointing to further conflicts.

I'll get back to you on that one Gubaba.

Mav...
12 years 1 month ago #18443

• Gubaba
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

MaverickLSC wrote:

Gubaba wrote;

No armistice was indicated in the series, therefore i'm thinking much smaller scale conflicts continued similar to the US/Soviet cold war. Plus if a truce was broken at some point that would reignite hostilities.

I'm going to have to look again at the Robotech Graphics novels, comics and series to see if there's any indications pointing to further conflicts.

I'll get back to you on that one Gubaba.

Mav...

The Graphic Novel indicates pretty clearly that all hostilities (meaning, all violence) stopped with the crash of the SDF-1.

Let me know if it seems the same to you. You're the boss, after all.
12 years 1 month ago #18444

Time to create page: 0.424 seconds