Length of the "Global Civil War"?

• Gubaba
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Length of the "Global Civil War"? was created by Gubaba

Here's the full text from the show:

‎"Global war ravaged the earth at that time, but even this devastation paled by comparison to the threat of invasion from outer space. A cease-fire was ordered, and world leaders banded together to form a united Earth government. Under the new government, the world's most brilliant minds formed a research team to study and restore the alien space fortress. Deciphering parts of documents found onboard, they labored to unravel the secrets of an incredibly complex technology called 'Robotech.' Convinced that the scientists had solved this complex riddle, world leaders ordered a celebration."

This leads me to believe that the SDF-1's arrival created peace across the world, but a bunch of fans at the Protoculture Times Facebook page tells me that that isn't so.

So which is it? Did the war end or not?
12 years 2 weeks ago #18389

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Mark-Warlock
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Writer
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by Mark-Warlock on topic Re: Length of the "Global Civil War"?

Gubaba wrote:

Here's the full text from the show:

‎"Global war ravaged the earth at that time, but even this devastation paled by comparison to the threat of invasion from outer space. A cease-fire was ordered, and world leaders banded together to form a united Earth government. Under the new government, the world's most brilliant minds formed a research team to study and restore the alien space fortress. Deciphering parts of documents found onboard, they labored to unravel the secrets of an incredibly complex technology called 'Robotech.' Convinced that the scientists had solved this complex riddle, world leaders ordered a celebration."

This leads me to believe that the SDF-1's arrival created peace across the world, but a bunch of fans at the Protoculture Times Facebook page tells me that that isn't so.

So which is it? Did the war end or not?

Well there hasn't been a definitive timeline, that I've seen, for how long the actual war was going on. Based on the series, we can see that there Fokker was fairly young during the war when he met Claudia. So we can assume it was going on for a few years prior to 1999. I know a lot of fans have wondered about this time frame leading into the arrival of the SDF-1. I don't even think they touched on how long that war went in "From The Stars". If we look at our own history when it comes to wars of this magnitude it might be safe to assume that the war was anywhere from 4 to 10 years.

Now did the War end? Well yes, the Global War ended. However, there was a group that did not want to recognize the “UEG” and thus there was some fighting during the re-construction. I think that may be what some have confused with the continuation of the Global War.

Now as for the term "Global CIVIL War", I really hate it when people use that. Because even in the story dialog you quoted it states that "Global War ravaged the Earth at that time". Seeing as how there was no formal World Government prior to the arrival of the SDF-1 calling the war a "Global Civil War" makes no sense. A civil war tends to be between two groups within a given government fighting against each other. It is more like World War III.
A question that sometimes drives me hazy; am I or are the others crazy? - Albert Einstein

Find Mark Warlock now on Facebook.
12 years 2 weeks ago #18390

Replied by lil-mungus on topic Re: Length of the "Global Civil War"?

I too have been curious about this as the Global Civil War is one of my favorite ideas from Macross for 2 reasons: (1) It is the most realistic premise of the series because Macross is based (up to the point SDF-1 crashes) on events that are happening now in the world. (2) It is a vastly unexplored area with unlimited potential for adding storylines, military vehicles, & mecha development.

So back to your question and I have thought about this but there is always room for improvement so please add on or deviate as you see fit:

An advanced alien ship crashes to earth so scientists gather & UN Leaders realize an alien race is coming to retrieve it most likely with force whether we peacefully give it back or not. This I take it we all agree upon.

Now from here people can have their opinions but this is what I see happening:

All the educated, industrialized, civilized, & moral UN countries band together to create a new order to protect Earth. The fighting between most countries like those in Eastern Europe comes to a nil as generals & leaders come to realize they have a bigger battle to fight. Lesser but educated countries are left to govern themselves as they see fit with UN units scattered about to keep peace amonst them. Organizations like the IRA dissolve as they are no longer needed or occupied. Russia broke & unsucessful in their communism effort fully particpates in the new UN as their soldiers rigid lifestyle, mass amounts of armory, & intelligent scientests find a new welcoming thriving home. As do other great countries like England & Germany. (France decides to bow out & sell irrelevant toys based upon the UN Wars (which go on to fetch thousands of dollars for their scarcity)).

Huge uprisings happen in the middle East. The US pulls their forces from their prior UN efforts to focus money & resources on the future Alien invaders. At the same time though other new and now more involved UN nations put their forces in to train their unskilled evolving soldiers. Within a few years of heavy fighting the educated & moral people of the Middle East take back their country with the welcome help of the Americaless U.N. (they now trust the UN because the US is less involved).

China joins the new UN but is never allowed to view the technological advancements of Robotechnology as one of the requirements to do so is to allow your citizens movement between countries. Even with the impending doom of the aliens their proirity is on keeping information control & citizen restraint. China is thereof delegated to irrelevant and has no part in the story as a country other than scientists & culturally spiritual beings who escape their homeland. These refugees though hold amazing knowledge & ancestral powers that are highly valued by Robotech scientists.

So what you have left are the continents of South America & South Africa. Many of these countries due to religon, lack of education, lack of money, etc remain even more irrelevant to the cause. They have nothing to contribute so they are monitered even less. Other than human rights groups that infiltrate there is no support for them as they are considered also irrelavant and a waste of energy.
12 years 2 weeks ago #18391

Sorry just read my post & see I forgot to answer your question as far as I see it.

Yes there is continuing independant civil war. For the main part though it is not unified & is internal between irrelavant 3rd world terrorist nations like Mexico, Africa. They go on to continue their ways even though a higher force is out there. Their priority as uneducated native people is to only care for themselves. So in that sense yes you will always have internal civil war raging among earths animals that know how to fire a gun but can't read or write.

As far as an intelligent allianced world wide resistance to the post SDF-1 UN regime. . . I don't know. That would be within one of your guys RPG stories or something presented in the anime as a new theme. But as far as reality, Robotech, unification goes you are always going to have ignorance & resistance right?
12 years 2 weeks ago #18392

• Gubaba
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Gubaba on topic Re: Length of the "Global Civil War"?

So wait, the Global War ended, but then a resistance war started?

If that's the case, why doesn't the narrator say anything about it? The narration seems (to me) to make it very clear that the crashing of the SDF-1 caused earth forces to join together, and there's simply no mention of resistance.

The Robotech Graphic Novel also backs this idea up.
12 years 2 weeks ago #18393

According to Macross subtitles:

(...alien ship crashes...) "This prompted both the founding of the Earth United Nations Government, which would take precedence over the interests of the individual nations, and a concerted effort to restore the giant spacecraft. But the road to establishing the Earth U.N. Government was by no means an easy one, and pockets of intense fighting sprang up across the world. Despite this, restoration of the battleship progressed steadily. Finally the long & painful Unification Wars came to an end,and the Earth was once again at peace."

--So according to Macross the World is mainly at peace until the SDF crashes, which prompts the Unification Wars, & finally at peace again.

--And according to Robotech the Earth is at war until the SDF crashes, which brings the nations together & peace to the Earth.

I thought that Robotech mentioned resistance fighting but if I am mistaken then it appears The Resistance is solely a Macross idea.

I personally tend to follow Macross on details like this because it gets more in depth, but follow Robotech when it comes to overall storyline as I like its continuation better. So in my mind the most logical thing is a combination of the 2 stories.

Stop reading now if fanboy rambling annoys you.

The world is at war to somewhat different degrees as it has been before & currently (Korea, Iraq, Eastern Europe & Russia), then with the alien ship crashing the major powers come together to form the UEG. But within some of these countries there is resistance against the UEG (new UN). The series doesnt say if this Resistance is organized with other resistance fighters from other countries or if each resistance is independant within itself against its home nation. My take is its a combination of both which would be logical. By the end of the rebuilding of the SDF the Resistance is halted. But in my mind it would be hard to completely subdue all resistance so there could be small instances of resistance still occuring and/or singular terrorists acts taking place. Likewise there will always be greed, ignorance, & terrorism (ie Mexico druglords executing its civilians, Africa's mass killings). So in unskilled, 3rd world nations like these, minimal attention will be given to them in regards to the Unification of the Earth as resources are needed for the impending alien invasion. But UEG forces will still be present there to assist protecting human rights, similiar to how the UN is present now. Then the Aliens invade and every possible soldier & vehicle is pulled to fight the intruders. Causing all the industrious nations to band together even stronger in attempts to save their civilization while leaving the craphole non-contributing countries like previously mentioned left to fend for themselves. And finally it pretty much all gets destroyed at the end of the 1st Robotech war, and moreso with each subsequent Robotech War.
12 years 2 weeks ago #18395

• Mark-Warlock
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Writer

Gubaba wrote:

If that's the case, why doesn't the narrator say anything about it? The narration seems (to me) to make it very clear that the crashing of the SDF-1 caused earth forces to join together, and there's simply no mention of resistance.

I wouldn't really call it a full on "War" brief conflict perhaps. There was a resistance to the formation of the UEG, which was touched on in the Wildstorm comics, which helps to fill in some of this back information.

As a matter of fact there the series did touch on this in "Homecoming". In "Homecoming" Captain Gloval and Lisa Hayes are in their meeting with the Earth Council and told that when the SDF-1 disappeared the world was told a "guerilla force" representing the "Anti-unification league" had attacked and destroyed everything on the island.
A question that sometimes drives me hazy; am I or are the others crazy? - Albert Einstein

Last edit: 12 years 2 weeks ago by Mark-Warlock.
12 years 2 weeks ago #18396

Replied by mojomike on topic Re: Length of the "Global Civil War"?

Gubaba wrote:

There were resistances such as the Anti-unification terrorist. Not only do they make an appearance in Form the Stars, but also they get blamed with the disappearance of the SDF-1. Another resistance group known as the Faithful played a key role in several Return to Macross storylines like War of the Believers. A personal favorite
12 years 2 weeks ago #18400

• Gubaba
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Gubaba on topic Re: Length of the "Global Civil War"?

lil mungus wrote:

According to Macross subtitles:

(...alien ship crashes...) "This prompted both the founding of the Earth United Nations Government, which would take precedence over the interests of the individual nations, and a concerted effort to restore the giant spacecraft. But the road to establishing the Earth U.N. Government was by no means an easy one, and pockets of intense fighting sprang up across the world. Despite this, restoration of the battleship progressed steadily. Finally the long & painful Unification Wars came to an end,and the Earth was once again at peace."

--So according to Macross the World is mainly at peace until the SDF crashes, which prompts the Unification Wars, & finally at peace again.

--And according to Robotech the Earth is at war until the SDF crashes, which brings the nations together & peace to the Earth.

I thought that Robotech mentioned resistance fighting but if I am mistaken then it appears The Resistance is solely a Macross idea.

I personally tend to follow Macross on details like this because it gets more in depth, but follow Robotech when it comes to overall storyline as I like its continuation better. So in my mind the most logical thing is a combination of the 2 stories.

See..that kind of "pick 'n' choose" is something that annoys me greatly.

If you're gonna be a Macross fan, go with the Macross story. If you're gonna be a Robotech fan, BE A DAMN ROBOTECH FAN, and quit stealing plot points from Macross.

If Robotech is superior, LET IT BE SUPERIOR ON ITS OWN MERITS.

Isn't that fair?
12 years 2 weeks ago #18410

• Mark-Warlock
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Writer

Gubaba wrote:

See..that kind of "pick 'n' choose" is something that annoys me greatly.

If you're gonna be a Macross fan, go with the Macross story. If you're gonna be a Robotech fan, BE A DAMN ROBOTECH FAN, and quit stealing plot points from Macross.

If Robotech is superior, LET IT BE SUPERIOR ON ITS OWN MERITS.

Isn't that fair?

Gubaba

Come on man.. You know I gave you the benefit of the doubt when I answered your question.. I believed that you were actually asking about something... but your statements above make it sound as if you were just waiting for someone to show their opinion in the way lil mungus did.

Not everyone is an ANIME SNOB... many fans like both.. and many fans are more then welcome to pick and choose whatever the hell they want out of them and create their own "RoboCrossverse".

And NO one in any of the posts in THIS thread said anything about Robotech being Superior over anything else. IF you've heard that from some other nut bag over zealous fan well sorry to hear that... but lose the chip on your shoulder.

I hear Macross fans all the time talk about how bad Robotech is and blah blah blah.. and its F'in RETARDED... its a F U C K I N G Cartoon!.

Now unless you had another question to add... I think your original question was answered. So if there isn’t anything else... can we just lock this F'in thread before it deteriorates into another Robotech/Macross pissin contest?

12 years 2 weeks ago #18412

Time to create page: 0.381 seconds