HG OFFICIAL STANCE ON FUTURE PRODUCTIONS

• MEMO1DOMINION
  • MEMO1DOMINION's Avatar Topic Author
  • Commander
  • Commander
  • Thank you received: 114

HG OFFICIAL STANCE ON FUTURE PRODUCTIONS was created by MEMO1DOMINION

GOING TO PUT SOME TALKING POINTS FROM KEVIN MACKEEVER HERE.
FROM A THREAD IN RT.COM PRODUCTION FORUMS. TRIED TO ORGANIZE AS MUCH AS I CAN TO FIT.

Posted on: September 10, 2012 - 4:57:29 PM

1. distributors (the companies that actually deliver the final product to the end uses) want more new Robotech projects that looks forward not back. Now I often add that as demand for Robotech grows (and it has been growing) Harmony Gold can start opening up other areas of franchise for exploration as well. (Love Live Alive is a great example of this).

2. the Sentinels has already run through its first product cycle (Home video, books, comics, RPGS etc…) so distributors want us to look forward not back.

We know there are many fans who want to see the Sentinels completed as an animated TV series. However, distributors, the ones who will bring the product to the end user, want new projects that look forward not back.

There are a couple of reasons for this. These are very complex issues so I’m going to try to simplify this as much as I can.

#1 It makes it easier to market said project to the widest possible audience. Hence the distributor and production company can get maximum revenue for the project.

With rising production costs (weakening U.S. Dollar, inflation are just two examples) hitting the anime worked extremely hard independent production companies need to make projects that distributors will pay good money for. (i.e. money to cover your production costs)

To that end distributors tell us that to reach the widest possible market of old and new fans we should go with direct sequels (or sidequels of which I will discuss in a moment. ) to Robotech as that is the best way for them and us. While there are fans who want a continuation of “The Sentinels” as animated TV series (yes we know there are fans) distributors know that “The Sentinels” has been explored through direct-to-video, comics, RPG’s etc.. So in the distributors minds (a dollar and cents point of view) its not going to draw as well since the hard core fans already know the story and it’s a tough sell to newbies. (from a timeline/creative point of view you are right in the middle of the show.)

Example:

A distributor will say “hey I want direct sequel since everyone wants to know what happened to Rick Hunter and that storyline has not been done yet” And I will pay [insert very large dollar figure that will cover your production costs here] for the rights to said sequel.

However, if you go to a distributor with something like say “The Sentinels” they will come back at you and say “well that story line is has been done already so I will give you [insert very small dollar figure that wont cover your production costs here] for the rights.

In a business which path would you take?

As I mentioned at SabotenCon it’s the distributors who said this, this has NOTHING to do with fan interest.

This leads us to…

For independent productions how much a distributor pays for a project is very important.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread: Warner Brothers has a license to make a live action film. They do not own the franchise as Harmony Gold does. Now with that understood by everyone here that means animated Robotech projects like “The Shadow Chronicles”, “Shadow Rising” and “Love Live Alive” are all made with out distributors in place as they are independent productions.

Since they are independent productions they make their money upfront by the fee’s paid for by distributors. The more distributors are willing to pay upfront the better you are on your goal to recoupment. (this is very important)

Once again this is a simplified but it should give a rough idea of how indie productions, of which Robotech is outside the live action film, get made.

Let me give you another example.

It took 23 years of successful consistent Star Trek productions (1979-2002) before Paramount attempted prequel: Star Trek Enterprise. Note how long it took Paramount (who can self distribute) before they even attempted a prequel.

3. Yes we want to make more toys and as I pointed out at SabotenCon, we have the Shadow Beta Fighter (with Syncro Cannon) on the way and have the three primary battlepods on sale. However with the recession deepening we must make sure to toys people want and can afford that are profitable.

some there certain Robotech vehicles have more demand than others with fans.

We know there are fans who want certain toys but sometimes the demand for certain toys are just not as strong. You will hear 'A hovertank toy would be great but I really want a SDF-1 toy first.' or 'A hovertank toy would be great but I really want to see the cyclones first' It's a supply and demand issue.

Toy licensors look at supply demand and as I stated before some Robotech vehicles have more demand than others.

4. Warner Brothers has acquired the right to make a live Robotech action film . Their license
to make the live action film covers all 85 episodes so they can approach the film from any direction they want to.

WB has the rights to live action film only. During my presentation I clearly stated that A&E has the DVD rights to the original series

5. we do not “leak” information. Rather we can only publicly discuss what WB/HG executives allow us to discuss. See we are under very strict nondisclosure agreements, or NDA’s as they are often referred to. So we can only discuss what we are cleared to discuss. “leaking” information is a great way to being out of job.

6. I clearly stated that Robotech: Shadow Rising is in active development and that Robotech: Love Live Alive is in production at Harmony Gold. WB has NO control over those projects as they are done in house here at Harmony Gold.

7. future Robotech video games for the live action film and mention that WB Consumer Products has those and will do a video game as part of the live action film.

8. I discussed how HG has found the original 24 track masters of the Robotech music and we are releasing EP’s since there is so much music. This is all being done in house and released through HG not WB.

9. That's why we have a live action film deal with Warner Brothers. If Robotech is going to be reimagined that is the place to do it.

10. Now for “Love Live Alive” we are doing a sidequel that ties directly into “Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles”. One of the reasons why Love Live Alive is being made is that distributors see tha demand for Robotech has grown and are HG can make it in a cost effective manner to fill said demand.

WB has the rights to live action film only. During my presentation I clearly stated that A&E has the DVD rights to the original series and that Love Live Alive simply does not have a distribution deal…yet.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
Last edit: 11 years 6 months ago by MEMO1DOMINION.
11 years 6 months ago #19616

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.369 seconds