Bowie Grant

• Thank you received: 1

Bowie Grant was created by Zan

Bowie is an interesting character to me. There's something regarding him that makes me wonder.

It seems to me that Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross tries to spin things like the main characters are Dana (I'm just going to use the English names for simplicity's sake), Nova, and Marie. This is seen a lot in the intro to the show and the promotional art and such. What I find interesting about this, is that I would never consider Nova and Marie main characters, especially not over Bowie. They are often missing entirely from episodes and often only play bit parts. When Marie does get strong roles, she's often removed from the A story and doing her own thing in the B story. She did have her romance with Sean, which was fun, but seemed like a rather side thing, especially compared to Bowie's romance with Musica. Nova's romance with Dennis Brown, if it can be called a romance, is such a minor point it isn't even worth mentioning, in my opinion.

I guess what I'm getting at is that the narrative leads me to believe the main character is certainly Dana, but behind her is Bowie Grant. One can make a strong argument for Zor, since he's so important to the story, but he lacks screen time, especially in the earlier episodes of the series. If I did have to pick a trio of main characters, it would be Dana, Bowie, and Zor, due to how much screen time they get, and how important to the story they are. Nova and Marie don't get as much screen time, and aren't as important in the grand scheme of things, and are often removed from the most important moments in the show, likely because they're not in the 15th Squadron. Actually, I would say Rolf Emerson is more important to the narrative than both Nova and Marie.

Yet, perplexity, I see Bowie cut out of a lot of promotional art and such, for both Robotech AND Southern Cross, often in favor of Nova, Marie, and Zor, and it's just bizarre to me, because his absence isn't indicative of the rather large role he plays in the actual show.

So, where does Bowie's role sit in the show to you? Is he one of the top main characters, or are you seeing things differently than I am and see him as just a side guy? Are Nova and Marie really more prominent than him? If not, why do you think the promotional stuff for the show tries to spin it like the three main characters are Dana, Nova, and Marie? I get the whole trinity theme of the show, but it never really came across clearly with those three characters. Probably because they often aren't seen doing much as a trio.

So... thoughts?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alpha Bravo
7 years 7 months ago #23710

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 573

Replied by Alpha Bravo on topic Bowie Grant

Lead Characters: Dana, Zor Prime
Top Supporting Characters: Bowie Grant, Rolf Emerson
Second-Tier Support: Angelo Dante, Sean Penn
Third-Tier Support: Marie Crystal, Musica
Everyone Else

I actually think Nova gets more screentime in the intro than in the show, but I haven't timed it or anything
"Offers that are selected that the deposit paid the amount that we do not decide, or the pool, sipping mulled wine, and in addition you can play table tennis, there is one drawback, I do not have rights." - random spambot (translated)
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Alpha Bravo.
7 years 7 months ago #23711

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master
  • Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!
  • Thank you received: 947

Replied by LadyGrimes on topic Bowie Grant

Zan wrote: Bowie is an interesting character to me. There's something regarding him that makes me wonder.

It seems to me that Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross tries to spin things like the main characters are Dana (I'm just going to use the English names for simplicity's sake), Nova, and Marie. This is seen a lot in the intro to the show and the promotional art and such. What I find interesting about this, is that I would never consider Nova and Marie main characters, especially not over Bowie. They are often missing entirely from episodes and often only play bit parts. When Marie does get strong roles, she's often removed from the A story and doing her own thing in the B story. She did have her romance with Sean, which was fun, but seemed like a rather side thing, especially compared to Bowie's romance with Musica. Nova's romance with Dennis Brown, if it can be called a romance, is such a minor point it isn't even worth mentioning, in my opinion.

I guess what I'm getting at is that the narrative leads me to believe the main character is certainly Dana, but behind her is Bowie Grant. One can make a strong argument for Zor, since he's so important to the story, but he lacks screen time, especially in the earlier episodes of the series. If I did have to pick a trio of main characters, it would be Dana, Bowie, and Zor, due to how much screen time they get, and how important to the story they are. Nova and Marie don't get as much screen time, and aren't as important in the grand scheme of things, and are often removed from the most important moments in the show, likely because they're not in the 15th Squadron. Actually, I would say Rolf Emerson is more important to the narrative than both Nova and Marie.

Yet, perplexity, I see Bowie cut out of a lot of promotional art and such, for both Robotech AND Southern Cross, often in favor of Nova, Marie, and Zor, and it's just bizarre to me, because his absence isn't indicative of the rather large role he plays in the actual show.

So, where does Bowie's role sit in the show to you? Is he one of the top main characters, or are you seeing things differently than I am and see him as just a side guy? Are Nova and Marie really more prominent than him? If not, why do you think the promotional stuff for the show tries to spin it like the three main characters are Dana, Nova, and Marie? I get the whole trinity theme of the show, but it never really came across clearly with those three characters. Probably because they often aren't seen doing much as a trio.

So... thoughts?

I would attribute his lack of appearance in promotional art due to a lack of popularity tbh and while he definitely falls under the category of a supporting character, I can definitely see why he isn't as big as say Dana or Marie, but what is baffling is the lack of screen time Nova had in SC as opposed to Bowie, yet still she is considered more "popular" than he is. Well personally I would take Bowie over Nova because he was a lot more developed as a character than she was not to mention there was an actual story arc focused around him.

Thank you @AB for my adorable new avatar! <3
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alpha Bravo
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by LadyGrimes.
7 years 7 months ago #23715

• Thank you received: 573

Replied by Alpha Bravo on topic Bowie Grant

Wow here's a thought, yet another untapped potential new story within the existing Robotech Universe, how about something with Nova as the main character. Tell HER story.

Oh well.
"Offers that are selected that the deposit paid the amount that we do not decide, or the pool, sipping mulled wine, and in addition you can play table tennis, there is one drawback, I do not have rights." - random spambot (translated)
The following user(s) said Thank You: LadyGrimes
7 years 7 months ago #23718

• Peter Young
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Peter Young on topic Bowie Grant

My guess: Bowie is to SC what Rand is to New Generation and, in many ways, Rick to Macross Saga: the one person among the unit that does not take the military view on things for granted. A character the audience can still identify with if they can't identify themselves with the true warriors.

Such a character was less necessary in Macross Saga, because of the townspeople and of Minmei - but Rick is the only person among the military who keeps on questioning things.

Wit Southern Cross focusing only on soldiers and the town only being background in R & R scenes, Bowie's presence is much more needed in that series than the other two in the other subsagas.
7 years 6 months ago #23828

Time to create page: 0.386 seconds