Not quite newbie introduction...

• Sushispook
  • Sushispook's Avatar Topic Author
  • Micronian
  • Micronian
  • Thank you received: 0

Not quite newbie introduction... was created by Sushispook

... but who here is a member of the "I Got Banned/Deactivated on Robotech.com" club? Just signed in today to find out that apparently I'd pointed out the emperor has no clothes one too many times :)

Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by Sushispook.
12 years 8 months ago #17343
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• ps99041
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by ps99041 on topic Re: Not quite newbie introduction...

CONGRATULATIONS! Welcome to the banned club. What exactly did you say to make the HG crew cry? I'd ask what said to make them look bad but they do that to themselves every time they have a con panel or put something on the website.
12 years 8 months ago #17345

• Sushispook
  • Sushispook's Avatar Topic Author
  • Micronian
  • Micronian
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by Sushispook on topic Re: Not quite newbie introduction...

I'm pretty sure it was related to this thread here:

www.robotech.com/community/forum/read.php?id=2125126&forumid=23

Basically, I popped off a rant about how really, this is there big announcement at comic con that they're going to tout at their site - and meanwhile, the franchise is dying on the vine for lack of care. I panned Shadow Chronicles, pointed out that new DVD box sets in an age where it's free on youtube and you can stream it on netflix isn't really worth trumpeting, mentioned that it's gotten to the point where it doesn't matter if there's an NDA in place over the LAM... the lack of any news, even to say "guys, really, we're sorry we can't talk about it, but we just can't... but let's (thing designed to engage with the fans inserted here) in the meantime", pointing out that really the only time anyone from HG steps in is when it's Kevin to say everyone is wrong, when exactly is the light artillery battlepod going to be released and couldn't you at least say "sorry guys, another delay - we know you want it here as much as we do!", and lots of examples about how they could continue to engage with the fanbase in a positive way to keep excitement alive over what they can't talk about (I work for a market research firm, so I'm actually not talking out of my ass here - I'm privvy to data showing exactly how to piss off a devoted customer base, and man, HG is totally soaking in that right now). I also took a side detour about one of my own personal pet peeves - that they missed the chance to tell some amazing stories given the incredibly adult events that set the stage... the Zentraedi came and glassed chunks of the earth, and society is messed up. That is a canvas to tell amazing character-driven stories, while still have room for big robots busting eachother in the snotbox... I cited Battlestar Galactica as a comparison point, and that those wussy Cylons just dropped some nukes - they can't even pretend to the devastation of the Zentraedi. They could tell SO MANY stories, even if it was just to novelize new canonical stories without touching on the big stuff.

But that one stood for about a week, actually... I think the thing that really got me banhammered was a response to someone saying "but the new box set will have new material!", to which I replied "So you're saying that if I want to buy a boat, I have to buy the entire dock/wharf as well? How about NO".

That's probably what did it - making fun of the new revenue stream and pointing out the absurdity of it. I mean, I totally get that people are excited over the chance to own it on DVD who missed out after ADV cratered, and that's awesome for them... but that's for *them*. It's another year with no news on new material and a stagnant product line.

Also, I pointed out what I personally didn't care for in The Shadow Chronicles. I think they're kind of touchy over it - am I right?

(Sadly, I looked to see if I had an old version of that thread in my browser cache or if it got archived by a search engine - no luck)
12 years 8 months ago #17346

• SIGHUP
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Admin this!
  • Thank you received: 32

Replied by SIGHUP on topic Re: Not quite newbie introduction...

Here we go again. I hope RTX doesn't become the safe haven for disgruntled RT.com users.

First off I'll say that I agree with your post. I already have the Protoculture Edition set and am not buying the new DVDs. But understand that RT.com UNLIKE RTX is a corporate website. Of course they will shutdown whoever even attempts to interfere with a *new* revenue stream. It makes perfect business sense.

Here on RTX we're all fan-based so we can pretty much say whatever we want and hope no C&D come from HG.

Of course they are going to be touchy over the Shadow Chronicles. That's the current management's *baby*

As a consumer you have the option of buying or not buying. There are some people out there (and you would not believe how many) that for whatever reason have the VHS tapes but not the DVDs.

At this year's Comic Con, a couple fans came up to the booth really interested in the release of the DVDs. Speaking to them, I told them that they could easily watch all of it for free on youTube or Hulu. To which the fan replied (much to my amazement) "Why would I want to watch it online, when I can just pop in the DVDs for my kid and he sits there and watches it."

For some of us in the minority who are a bit more technically saavy, I can understand how purchasing a new set is not necessary. But it seems that the majority (I am assuming) of people who are the target market, are the same people who aren't as technically saavy or don't care to be because there are more important things they need to take care of. Same crowd that uses iPhones and IMacs probably.

Again, I am generalizing and not defending HG. Just looking at it from a different angle. I agree that there is some creativity missing. But they are running the show now for better or worse and its not a democracy its a business. So unless we band together and buy a bunch of HG stock, we just gotta keep the fan base going.
--David Pena
SIGHUP
www.robotechx.com - a fandom based site | RIP Carl Macek (1951-2010)
12 years 8 months ago #17351

• ps99041
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Does HG even have stock available for purchase? If they did, I'd totally buy a majority of shares to take control of the company cause a share wouldn't be worth that much.
12 years 8 months ago #17353

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re: Not quite newbie introduction...

YOU REALLY HAVE THAT MUCH MONEY?
THEN YOU HAVE A BETTER CHANCE OF BUYING OUT DONALD TRUMP.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
12 years 8 months ago #17354

• ps99041
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

don't exaggerate HG's wealth by saying they're as valuable as Trump's empire cause we all know they're not even close.
12 years 8 months ago #17355

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re: Not quite newbie introduction...

OH MAN.. THAT WAS TO EASY.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
12 years 8 months ago #17356

• ps99041
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Definitely so try harder next time.
12 years 8 months ago #17358

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Gubaba on topic Re: Not quite newbie introduction...

SIGHUP wrote:

Here we go again. I hope RTX doesn't become the safe haven for disgruntled RT.com users.

Better here than Macross World. It's really quite sad how many banned RT.com members think that they'll get some kind of heroes welcome over at MW (and still get to talk about Robotech! since, as they all know, Macross is kinda like Robotech, just in some weird funky foreign language) only to find out that the majority of MW posters don't care one way or another.
12 years 8 months ago #17359

Time to create page: 0.513 seconds