• REF Member
  • REF Member
  • Bounty Hunter! =☠=
  • Thank you received: 4

Fox Developing Cowboy Bebop Live-Action was created by Lobizon

Exclusive: LIVE-ACTION 'COWBOY BEBOP' MOVIE IS IN THE WORKS

July 22, 2008
by Alex Billington

Producer Erwin Stoff reveals that he is developing a live-action adaptation of the iconic anime for Fox

All your Faye Valentine fantasies are finally going to come true… if you have any at least! Following Akira and Ghost in the Shell announcements, apparently Cowboy Bebop is in for a live-action adaptation as well. IF Magazine talked with veteran producer Erwin Stoff and discovered that he's working on making a live-action Cowboy Bebop movie with Fox. Apparently it's very fresh news: "I'm really excited to be working on it, and it's in the really early stages. We just signed it the other day." If you're not so familiar with Bebop, it's an incredibly popular Japanese anime TV series that first aired back in 1998 and has become a hit here in the US as well as Japan. I'm not exactly a big fan myself, but considering Hollywood is caught up in the anime trend, I'm definitely excited to see this one come to life as well.

Faye ValentineStoff goes on to explain his enthusiasm for the project and their attempts to remain faithful. "I have such an enormous admiration for its creators, that our first and foremost concern is going to be a real degree of faithfulness to the tone of the movie, to the mix of genres, and so on and so forth. When I met with them in Japan, one of the first things that I brought up was the experience that we had on A Scanner Darkly, and how hard we worked to remain faithful to Philip K. Dick, and that was our big concern here." Don't get confused, this does not mean that they're going for a similar animated look like A Scanner Darkly, as he explicitly said that it's going to be live-action. And if you're wondering who Faye Valentine is, she's one of the main character's in the series and a fan favorite. The photo to the bottom comes from Bam Kapow's gallery of Faye Valentine costumes.

The show first aired in Japan in early 1998 and was brought over to America in 2001 on Adult Swim. The series follows the adventures of a group of bounty hunters traveling on their spaceship, the Bebop, in the year 2071. Sony released a full-length animated film titled Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' on Heavens Door in 2001 where it was greeted with immense praise from fans worldwide. It is easily one of the most popular mainstream anime series and is beloved by many people even if they're not hardcore anime fans. I think it's the perfect series to adapt, but like Dragonball , I worry that it may get screwed up in translation if it falls into the wrong hands. Unfortunately both Dragonball and this adaptation are at Fox, which isn't a good sign so far, but maybe they'll find a good director. However, I'm enjoying Hollywood's anime trend and am anxious to see what they're going to do with Cowboy Bebop. Thoughts?

Source: FIRSTSHOWING.NET

Saludos Lobi ;)

Ps: RED=links related
Last edit: 14 years 1 month ago by Lobizon.
15 years 9 months ago #1039

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Veritech_IDEON on topic Re:Fox Developing Cowboy Bebop Live-Action

I love Cowboy Bebop, but I really don't know how to feel about this.
MACROSS SAGA > ROBOTECH MASTERS > NEW GENERATION

IMHO

My hobbies include:

Robotech

That's it.
15 years 9 months ago #1042

• SIGHUP
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Admin this!
  • Thank you received: 32

Replied by SIGHUP on topic Re:Fox Developing Cowboy Bebop Live-Action

Heard of it but I have never seen it.
--David Pena
SIGHUP
www.robotechx.com - a fandom based site | RIP Carl Macek (1951-2010)
15 years 9 months ago #1057

• Lobizon
  • Lobizon's Avatar Topic Author
  • REF Member
  • REF Member
  • Bounty Hunter! =☠=

Replied by Lobizon on topic Re:Fox Developing Cowboy Bebop Live-Action

SIGHUP wrote:

Heard of it but I have never seen it.

Hey SIGHUP, you never watched it, then I recommend you watch it.

This is the American opening credits of Cowboy Bebop.

Saludos Lobi ;)
Last edit: 14 years 1 month ago by Lobizon.
15 years 9 months ago #1133

Replied by SDF1A on topic Re:Fox Developing Cowboy Bebop Live-Action

SIGHUP.... you have see BEBOP.
"We are the music makers and the dreamers of dreams"= W. Wonka
15 years 9 months ago #1134

• Lobizon
  • Lobizon's Avatar Topic Author
  • REF Member
  • REF Member
  • Bounty Hunter! =☠=

Replied by Lobizon on topic Re:Fox Developing Cowboy Bebop Live-Action

Rumor: Keanu Reeves as Spike in Cowboy Bebop Movie?!

Keanu, is that you?

Yep, you heard that right, the same guy who played Neo will be taking on the role of Spike Spiegel , a former member of the Red Dragon Crime Syndicate who is haunted by the memory of his time in the organization. As we mentioned previously , the show first aired in Japan in early 1998 and was brought over to America in 2001 on Adult Swim. The series follows the adventures of a group of bounty hunters traveling on their spaceship, the Bebop, in the year 2071. If you're looking for more details regarding this live-action Cowboy Bebop movie, here's yet another juicy tidbit. With Keanu Reeves involved, it's obvious this is no small project. My source also told me that if everything stays the same, the budget on this will be insane.

Source: firstshowing.net

Saludos Lobi ;)
Last edit: 15 years 6 months ago by Lobizon.
15 years 6 months ago #1876

Replied by HashiNoUsagi on topic Re:Fox Developing Cowboy Bebop Live-Action

More so than almost any other anime Cowboy Bebop should not be a live action series. I don't think a Japanese company with millions of dollars could pull it off, nonetheless an American company. I'm one of those people that thought even a second series to Cowboy Bebop was unnecessary. A second series could have ruined what made the first one so great. So an American movie is even more ridiculous. An important part of Cowboy Bebop was the music. Unless they manage to sign on Yoko Kanno I have very big doubts.

I'm usually pretty open to these types of movies, but this is just a big no for me. Looking at what they did with Dragonball also makes me skeptical of this.
Hasn't done anything stupid enough to get banned from any forum.....yet.
15 years 5 months ago #1884

• Last_Valk_Standing
  • REF Member
  • REF Member
  • SDF-1 Shellback
  • Thank you received: 2

Replied by Last_Valk_Standing on topic Re:Fox Developing Cowboy Bebop Live-Action

It seems the big thing in Hollywood right now is to do an Anime to Live action movie. This isn't a good sign as it could end up as a string of under developed films. NOT a good sign IMO.
Co-Commander, Vulture Flight 59th Combined Tactical Operations Group (Gamma Wing)

Member of AkL
Huge fan of Attention On Deck website.

Official Reporter for MNN (Macross News Network LOL)
15 years 5 months ago #1893

• SIGHUP
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Admin this!
  • Thank you received: 32

Replied by SIGHUP on topic Re:Fox Developing Cowboy Bebop Live-Action

HOLLYWOOD is just running out of ideas. That's my opinion.

Please not another DBZ.
--David Pena
SIGHUP
www.robotechx.com - a fandom based site | RIP Carl Macek (1951-2010)
15 years 5 months ago #1895

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master
  • Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!
  • Thank you received: 947

Replied by LadyGrimes on topic Re:Fox Developing Cowboy Bebop Live-Action

SIGHUP wrote:

HOLLYWOOD is just running out of ideas. That's my opinion.

Please not another DBZ.

DING DING DING! we have a winner!!!

Thank you @AB for my adorable new avatar! <3
15 years 5 months ago #1901

Time to create page: 0.556 seconds