Tommy Yune working on New Speed Racer Comics?

• rtsurfer
  • rtsurfer's Avatar Topic Author
  • REF Member
  • REF Member
  • Thank you received: 0

Tommy Yune working on New Speed Racer Comics? was created by rtsurfer

popculturezoo.com/2011/06/speed-racer-is-racing-back-to-comics/

Speed Racer Is Racing Back To Comics
By Joseph Dilworth Jr.
Published June 17, 2011 at 5:41 pm PDT

I received the below image and information in my inbox earlier today and, well, I’m pretty excited about it. Speed Racer is one of my favorite animated series and I am looking forward to see the characters back in comic, especially with the talent listed on the image. Check it out and prepare for this high octane comic!

Speed Racer is returning to comics, with new stories by Len Wein (Human Target, Swamp Thing, X-Men, Wolverine), Tommy Yune (Robotech), Robby Musso (Transformers Spotlight), Lee Kohse, and James Rochelle.

The English adaptation of the classic Japanese manga and anime Mach Go Go Go is best known in the US from the 60s television series and the 2008 live-action film.

Recently, IDW produced a mini-series to coincide with the movie’s release. In the 1980s, NOW Comics created all-new comic book adventures.

However, it was the 1999 version by writer/artist Tommy Yune that was published by DC’s WildStorm imprint that inspired Warner Brothers to develop & produce the movie. This new series will be Mr. Yune’s first (non-Robotech related) comics work in over a decade!

No release date of the new series has been announced yet.

Maybe the new Speed Racer comic will do really well so Tommy will leave HG/Robo-Tech and return to doing what he apparently does best. :cheer:
"rtsurfer's two cent..." ;O)

rtsurfer's ROBOTECH archive
Last edit: 12 years 10 months ago by rtsurfer.
12 years 10 months ago #16818

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• ps99041
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by ps99041 on topic Re: Tommy Yune working on New Speed Racer Comics?

I'm more surprised that he would actually have time to work on a non-Robo Tech project. Still, I guess it would explain why stopped saying that the sidequel would be done in summer 2011. Maybe this project will build interest in his previous Speed Racer work so I can sell those comics on ebay. :)
Last edit: 12 years 10 months ago by ps99041.
12 years 10 months ago #16822

• Brooklyn-Red-Leg
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter

Replied by Brooklyn-Red-Leg on topic Re: Tommy Yune working on New Speed Racer Comics?

rtsurfer wrote:

Maybe the new Speed Racer comic will do really well so Tommy will leave HG/Robo-Tech and return to doing what he apparently does best. :cheer:

Or maybe he is trying to get himself a safe haven just before HG and Frank Agrama drop the boom on him for his incompetence?
12 years 10 months ago #16823

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master
  • Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!
  • Thank you received: 947

Replied by LadyGrimes on topic Re: Tommy Yune working on New Speed Racer Comics?

why does Trixie look like a Giraffe?

Thank you @AB for my adorable new avatar! <3
12 years 10 months ago #16828

Replied by Troubleman245 on topic Re: Tommy Yune working on New Speed Racer Comics?

Whooooo the tension about Tommy is so thick you can cut it with a knife. I liked the 1999 SR series, I thought it was one of Tommy's best work and decent origin story. I'd rather a announcement of a new RT series (even a comic book side story)and it troubles me there's no new updates on the sidequel or LAM.
Last edit: 12 years 10 months ago by Troubleman245.
12 years 10 months ago #16829

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Gubaba on topic Re: Tommy Yune working on New Speed Racer Comics?

Troubleman245 wrote:

Whooooo the tension about Tommy is so thick you can cut it with a knife.

Tell me about it...personally, I find it odd that everyone seems to dislike Tommy so much, and everyone also really seems to want him to make more movies.

I thought of that old joke, you know, the, this, this guy goes to a psychiatrist and says, "Doc, uh, my brother's crazy, he thinks he's a chicken," and uh, the doctor says, "well why don't you turn him in?" And the guy says, "I would, but I need the eggs." Well, I guess that's pretty much now how I feel about this Robotech stuff. You know, it's totally irrational and crazy and absurd and, but uh, I guess we keep going through it...because...most of us need the eggs.
12 years 10 months ago #16833

• Thank you received: 3

Replied by spark300c on topic Re: Tommy Yune working on New Speed Racer Comics?

I wounder it Tommy has the time or doing this in his spare time. Write stories is not as much work compared to drawing comics. Any way it could like that he did not write the story for sidequal and just played role of editor. Also seems that hg does nothing fast.
12 years 10 months ago #16834

Replied by leela1977 on topic Re: Tommy Yune working on New Speed Racer Comics?

Anyone know if this is a seperate project from the one that was to go to print in Aug 2011, not by IDW? I have not found anyone at my favorite comic shops who knows anything about the aug 2011 issue by a private company. The art work in the last speed racer by Tommy was better than some of the Now Comics art. Curious to see if Racer X comics comes back as well.
It was nice to see that the tradepaperback book is in both Wildstorm and Now's work. IDW did smaller books still unclear of how many stories were done for next generation series.
12 years 3 months ago #17942

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re: Tommy Yune working on New Speed Racer Comics?

leela1977 wrote:

Anyone know if this is a seperate project from the one that was to go to print in Aug 2011, not by IDW? I have not found anyone at my favorite comic shops who knows anything about the aug 2011 issue by a private company. The art work in the last speed racer by Tommy was better than some of the Now Comics art. Curious to see if Racer X comics comes back as well.
It was nice to see that the tradepaperback book is in both Wildstorm and Now's work. IDW did smaller books still unclear of how many stories were done for next generation series.

PROBABLY GET YOUR ANSWER HERE. I GET MINE THROUGH CONS. SO NO NEED FOR ME TO CHECK AT THE COMIC BOOK STORE.

www.facebook.com/SpeedRacerComic

"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
12 years 3 months ago #17944

• rtsurfer
  • rtsurfer's Avatar Topic Author
  • REF Member
  • REF Member

Replied by rtsurfer on topic Re: Tommy Yune working on New Speed Racer Comics?

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

leela1977 wrote:

PROBABLY GET YOUR ANSWER HERE. I GET MINE THROUGH CONS. SO NO NEED FOR ME TO CHECK AT THE COMIC BOOK STORE.

www.facebook.com/SpeedRacerComic

Memo, if you have the answer why don't you just post it? Why do you have to get your answer through cons when you are good friends with Tommy Yune?
"rtsurfer's two cent..." ;O)

rtsurfer's ROBOTECH archive
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by rtsurfer.
12 years 3 months ago #17947

Time to create page: 0.414 seconds