Jem and the Holograms

• Alpha Bravo
  • Alpha Bravo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 573

Jem and the Holograms was created by Alpha Bravo

Hollywood is now officially scraping the bottom of the exploitation barrel. Jem and the Holograms has just been made into a live-action movie. And it has performed so poorly that Universal is pulling it out of theaters.

finance.yahoo.com/news/movie-did-terribl...lling-190338176.html

Well, at least we can rest assured that Robotech LAM will surely not be remembered as the worst 80's nostalgia LAM ever made.
"Offers that are selected that the deposit paid the amount that we do not decide, or the pool, sipping mulled wine, and in addition you can play table tennis, there is one drawback, I do not have rights." - random spambot (translated)
The following user(s) said Thank You: neuronphaser
8 years 5 months ago #21516

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Jem and the Holograms

YEAH, HEARD THAT IN THE RADIO THIS MORNING. AFTER 2 WEEKS. WOW.
IT'S NOT SCRAPPING, MORE LIKE A BAD REBOOT. THERE WERE PEOPE READY TO SEE IT ESPECIALLY THE ONES WHO FOLLOWED IT DURRING THE 80'S. BUT THE FIRST TRAILER WAS WHAT KILLED IT AND REVIEWS ABOUT NOT BEING WHAT IT IS JUST PUT THE NAIL IN IT.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
8 years 5 months ago #21517

• Alpha Bravo
  • Alpha Bravo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 573

Replied by Alpha Bravo on topic Jem and the Holograms

Yeah, it had pretty much nothing to do with the source material, aside from the name. And if it wasn't for the name, nobody at all would have seen it.

What were they thinking?! Any idiot could have told them this was not a good idea.
"Offers that are selected that the deposit paid the amount that we do not decide, or the pool, sipping mulled wine, and in addition you can play table tennis, there is one drawback, I do not have rights." - random spambot (translated)
8 years 5 months ago #21518

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by neuronphaser on topic Jem and the Holograms

Alpha Bravo wrote: Yeah, it had pretty much nothing to do with the source material, aside from the name. And if it wasn't for the name, nobody at all would have seen it.

What were they thinking?! Any idiot could have told them this was not a good idea.

That's a really good question, because generally, even if a studio is in it just for the money, they know that a certain amount of fan-service will improve their marketing efforts a hundred-fold, which is nice and cheap; more money for them to keep. When they released that first trailer, they spent the entire rest of their time distancing themselves from it and letting the director flail about with half-hearted defensiveness, which hurts even more.

I suspect, based on the reported budgets of this movie, that it was somehow meant to simply establish some legal claims, or was the pet project of someone that by the time it entered post-production had moved on or been fired, and thus wasn't there to shepherd it through to a better completion. All just hearsay, though.
-- neuronphaser
robotech.wikia.com
8 years 5 months ago #21519

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Jem and the Holograms

MAN, WAS IT DRAGONBALL SYNDROME ALL OVER AGAIN? I MEAN THEY KNOW IF THEY GOING TO TAKE AN OLD TITLE AND DONT FOLLOW THE SOURCE MATERIAL, MIGHT AS WELL JUST GIVE UP.

I CAN HEAR THIS BEING USED AT CONS NOW WITH THE RLAM REBOOT. HAHAHA
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
8 years 5 months ago #21522

• Thank you received: 96

Replied by Peter Young on topic Jem and the Holograms

Funny thing: a few days ago, 'Jem and the Holograms' came back into my mind and now I see this.

Just clicked on the article and saw the picture of the characters. Don't know anything about the actual movie made, but this picture... are the actors supposed to be pre-teens (like Hanna Montana at the beginning)? Teens, like in 'Victorious'? Or young adults, like in the original cartoon (in that case: they don't look so on the picture).

As if they were somehow using 'Hanna Montana' and the the various Dan Schneider-productions as examples

Mind you, what works in a cartoon (Jem having pink over part of her face) might look ridiculous in live action. Guess it did.
7 years 5 months ago #23979

Time to create page: 0.343 seconds