What would you change in 'Shadow Chronicles'?

• Peter Young
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

What would you change in 'Shadow Chronicles'? was created by Peter Young

If you were part of the creative team, what would you leave the way it is and what would you do differently?

NOT meant as bashing. Just try and be constructive.

PS How would the series go on from the end of 'Shadow Chronicles'?
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by Peter Young.
7 years 9 months ago #22733

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 573

Replied by Alpha Bravo on topic What would you cange in 'Shadow Chronicles'?

Short answer: everything

Long answer: Turn it into a miniseries and call it The Sentinels
"Offers that are selected that the deposit paid the amount that we do not decide, or the pool, sipping mulled wine, and in addition you can play table tennis, there is one drawback, I do not have rights." - random spambot (translated)
The following user(s) said Thank You: LadyGrimes
7 years 9 months ago #22736

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master
  • Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!
  • Thank you received: 947

Replied by LadyGrimes on topic What would you cange in 'Shadow Chronicles'?

Less boobs and more character development and story. And no shatty CGI either. I'd do it right or not at all. Also leave the original character design as they were. Hated the new and improved ones. :sick:

Thank you @AB for my adorable new avatar! <3
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alpha Bravo
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by LadyGrimes.
7 years 9 months ago #22752

• Peter Young
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Peter Young on topic What would you cange in 'Shadow Chronicles'?

What part of 'NOT meant as bashing. Just try and be constructive' was too hard to understand? :pinch:
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by Peter Young.
7 years 9 months ago #22833

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

Peter Young wrote: What part of 'NOT meant as bashing. Just try and be constructive' was too hard to understand? :pinch:

Because Shadow Chronicles and constructive criticism just don't go together? Not to mention it's hard to point out everything that was wrong with it without coming across as bashing it. Why? Because everything was wrong with it.

7 years 9 months ago #22835

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by RobotechFR on topic What would you cange in 'Shadow Chronicles'?

Personally I love TSC, it's a good story and a really good SF film.
For me the only thing to improve is the character animation who is not very good... and yes.. boobs too big... ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter Young
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by RobotechFR.
7 years 8 months ago #22976

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

Wow you sir are a rare gem, because most of us here hate it. Yes I hate the character art and CG animation and I felt like the story was very weak overall. But feel free to explain why you think it was a good story. I won't lie, I am curious now.

7 years 8 months ago #22977

• Peter Young
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Peter Young on topic What would you cange in 'Shadow Chronicles'?

RobotechFR, I thanked you because a discussion improves when people actually have different points of view.

On 'TSC' I hold the majority opinion, but I was wondering what could be done to improve it.

Within Robotech, I prefer the optimism and idealism - the notion that making peace between enemies is better than just keeping on fighting; a point of view not to be mistaken for pacifism (no fighting at all out of principal, not even when attacked) or cowardice - of Macross Saga and The Masters over the darker tone of Next Generation. Sentinels was in the spirit of the former, TSC in the spirit of the latter. Hence my preference for Sentinels.

I meet you halfway: TSC would might have suited as sequel to 'Mospeada', it might have worked as a story of it own.
However, it was supposed to be a sequel to Robotech.
Many associate Robotech with the Macross characters. Not having them in TSC, to be replaced by new characters or previously hardly used characters, meant there was hardly a link to Robotech as a whole.
It was more an additional, extra long episode of 'New Generation'.

What might have been less the case if for instance the part of general Reynhard had been played by Max Sterling (why should only Rick, Lisa and doc Lang become overall commanders?) and the part of Vince Grant by either Jack Baker of Karen Penn (which would place him or her in the same position as Rick, Lisa and Max at the beginning of Sentinels: no longer just a lot of potential, but actually promoted to a position of command).
Besides, the lines at the beginning ("Rick's my friend too, but we have a mission to complete") would have had more dept that way.

Having Louis Nichols become a top scientist would have been both a good idea and a plausible development - except that neither Lang nor Louis had ever been portrayed as 'nerds'. They held their own among the military.
With Rick and Max starting as insecure rookies, who gradually developed into commanders, it was strange to see self-assured Louis maturing into a geek.

Not even high school sitcoms are so stupid to have the class geek actually develop romantic feelings for a robot! :S

Louis Nichols shpuld have become the new dr. Lang.
Instead, they turned him into a mixture of Steve Urkel, Screech from 'Saved by the Bell' (without the endearing traits) and those weird glasses wearing boys from 'Victorious' :pinch:
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Peter Young.
7 years 8 months ago #23029

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

They didn't utilize the macross characters for whatever cop out of an excuse, which was rather disappointing. Sure TSC came across as more of an extended episode of New Gen, if you can look past the fact it was completely rewritten to fit into this new story and the original characters ended up being nothing like themselves.

As I've said many times before, the whole story just comes across like fanfiction. Including the part where Nichols falls for the android. Who thought that would be a good idea? And Rick Hunter is barely seen and then somehow magically ends up trapped in a black hole.

It's like the writers said, welp, we can't use the macross characters but we need to have Admiral Hunter in this movie because well, he's the Admiral and we have to lure the fanbois back somehow with something more than big boobs. I know! let's have Rick Hunter end up in a black hole! It's brilliant! My god this is the best idea yet! The fanbois will eat it up and hopefully pay more attention to our expensive CGI mecha and boobs! Hell we should give the men boobs too or least skin tight uniforms. Yeah that's it. This is going to be a masterpiece! But wait Louie needs a love interest! Maia is taken obviously so why not Janice the robot? YES MORE BRILLIANT WRITING!

7 years 8 months ago #23033

• Thank you received: 573

Replied by Alpha Bravo on topic What would you cange in 'Shadow Chronicles'?

This again? Okay here is my list of everything wrong with The Shadow Chronicles. Are you ready? Here it is:

1 - The Shadow Chronicles.

That's the list.
"Offers that are selected that the deposit paid the amount that we do not decide, or the pool, sipping mulled wine, and in addition you can play table tennis, there is one drawback, I do not have rights." - random spambot (translated)
The following user(s) said Thank You: LadyGrimes
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Alpha Bravo.
7 years 8 months ago #23035

Time to create page: 0.503 seconds