"The Wild Storm of DC Entertainment"

• Lobizon
  • Lobizon's Avatar Topic Author
  • REF Member
  • REF Member
  • Bounty Hunter! =☠=
  • Thank you received: 4

"The Wild Storm of DC Entertainment" was created by Lobizon

DC's execs speak out on moving to Los Angeles, closing Wildstorm, competing with Marvel and digital comics.

Read more: comics.ign.com/articles/112/1122604p1.html#ixzz10aL84GbH :huh:
13 years 6 months ago #13591

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:"The Wild Storm of DC Entertainment"

I BEEN TO WILDSTORM OFFICE IN LA JOLLA IN SAN DIEGO A COUPLE OF TIMES AND BACK WHEN JIM LEE WAS STILL THE OWNER. SINCE JIM LEE LIVED RIGHT THERE IN DIEGO, NO SURPRISE THAT AFTER SELLING THAT IT WOULD FIT DC TO MOVE IT.

THIS WAS KNOWN FOR A WHILE. ESPECIALLY THAT JIM WANTED TO SELL WILDSTORM.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
13 years 6 months ago #13598

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by rtsurfer on topic Re:"The Wild Storm of DC Entertainment"

If the license is now with Wildstorm's parent DC, this could be a good thing giving Robotech LAM a better chance at getting made as DC Entertainment develops both comics and movie tie-ins with WB. Perhaps they will release a Robotech comic title to judge the franchise's viability, decent sales might jumpstart the LAM movie into production. Additionally, with Robotech comics now at DC rather than Wildstorm, we may get a better quality product that appeals to a broader market should they choose to put someone besides Tommy in charge. Who knows, a new DC Robotech comic might possibly provide a preview of what WB's has in mind for the LAM.
"rtsurfer's two cent..." ;O)

rtsurfer's ROBOTECH archive
13 years 6 months ago #13601

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:

rtsurfer wrote:

If the license is now with Wildstorm's parent DC, this could be a good thing giving Robotech LAM a better chance at getting made as DC Entertainment develops both comics and movie tie-ins with WB. Perhaps they will release a Robotech comic title to judge the franchise's viability, decent sales might jumpstart the LAM movie into production. Additionally, with Robotech comics now at DC rather than Wildstorm, we may get a better quality product that appeals to a broader market should they choose to put someone besides Tommy in charge. Who knows, a new DC Robotech comic might possibly provide a preview of what WB's has in mind for the LAM.

YOU FORGET WHO IS REALLY IN CHARGE.. THE AGRAMAS.

WHO'S TO SAY THAT THEY NOT RUNNING THE SHOTS. THE AGRAMA'S ARE ALREADY WELL KNOWN AROUND HOLLYWOOD. A DEAL WITH WB COULD ALSO BEEN HANDLED BY SOMEONE ABOVE TOMMY YUNE.

I SEE MORE OF TOMMY BEING INVOLVED CONSIDERING THAT IT INVOLVES A COMPANY THAT TOMMY USED TO WORK FOR AND ALONG WITH EX OWNER JIM LEE. THE AGRAMA'S WOULD USE MORE THEIR ACE CARD AS BEING IN CHARGE OF WHAT IS PRODUCED. OF COURSE TOMMY MIGHT NOT WRITE ALL THE COMICS BUT I CAN SEE HIM OVERSEEING CONTINUITY OF IT.

OR WE CAN SEE NO CHANGE AT ALL.

NOW THIS DOES OPEN A VS. COMIC......

HMMM.... ROBOTECH VS....?
13 years 6 months ago #13605

^HG's entertainment division is tiny when compared to DC and especially WB. While the Agramas may have some input I would expect the larger organizations to be in charge.

When the Robotech comics were at Wildstorm Tommy was supposedly in charge as a result of his previous connections with that division. Tommy writes but he isn't a writer if you get my meaning. I imagine DC will scrap his retcon in favor of a clean reboot. Based on the performance of Robotech comics under Tommy's control I seriously doubt he will be in charge of any new Robotech comic title(s). Tommy's Wildstorm Robotech comics went from 50k for the first issues of "From the Stars" (with multiple covers) to 8k for the final issues of "Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles". For the sake of Robotech comics and the franchise I hope things don't stay the same. DC will most likely make decisions based on the bottom line, they are in the business of making money after all.

*For comparison, most of the pre-rt.com comic titles were in the 5-6k range with some occasionally around 10k. Sentinels reportedly had sales from 10-18k. Comico's late 90's issues were in the 18-25k range with at least one selling over 32k.

Maybe the Robotech vs Transformers comic series will finally get made. I believe that would have been great exposure for Robotech if someone hadn't allegedly killed the deal because they wanted creative control over the crossover. Oh right, according to HG's reps at the time it was just a rumor ;)

Last edit: 13 years 6 months ago by rtsurfer.
13 years 6 months ago #13608

RTSURFER

^HG's entertainment division is tiny when compared to DC and especially WB. While the Agramas may have some input I would expect the larger organizations to be in charge.

CORRECT. LET'S JUST NOT FORGET WHO IS RUNNING IT. MAYBE SMALL BUT THE AGRAMA'S ARE NO SMALL APPLES ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY ARE WELL CONNECTED. WE ALREADY SEEN HOW MUCH THEY ARE OUT THERE FROM THE ITALY SCANDAL AND THAT HAD LITTLE, VERY LITTLE EFFECT ON THEM AND THEIR COMPANY AND INTEREST. EVEN THOUGHT THEIR ENTERTAINMENT DIVISION IS SMALL.

When the Robotech comics were at Wildstorm Tommy was supposedly in charge as a result of his previous connections with that division. Tommy writes but he isn't a writer if you get my meaning.

YEAH. I GET IT.

HEY, I THOUGHT HE WALKED IN TO HG WHEN WORKING AT WILDSTROM? IN OTHER WORDS, WHO CONTACTED WHO FIRST? WE KNOW BECAUSE OF TOMMY'S CONECTION HE WAS ABLE TO WORK DEALS WITH WILDSTORM. MAYBE SAVING HG A LOT ON THE LONG RUN.

I imagine DC will scrap his retcon in favor of a clean reboot. Based on the performance of Robotech comics under Tommy's control I seriously doubt he will be in charge of any new Robotech comic title(s). Tommy's Wildstorm Robotech comics went from 50k for the first issues of "From the Stars" (with multiple covers) to 8k for the final issues of "Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles". For the sake of Robotech comics and the franchise I hope things don't stay the same. DC will most likely make decisions based on the bottom line, they are in the business of making money after all.

THIS I THINK WHERE YOU WRONG. HG HAS FULL CONTROL OF THEIR LICENSE. THAT THEY ABLE TO OPEN THE DOOR FOR MORE PRODUCTION IS RIGHT. BUT LOOSING FULL CONTROL. I DISAGREE. AND REMEMBER, DC WAS PUMPING COMICS WHEN THE BUYING AND ECONOMY WAS GOING DOWN. THEN ADD THE SALES OF PRELUDE FOR A SMALL RUN OF IT'S PREDECESSOR. WHICH NOW YOU CAN ADD THE RE-RELEASE OF NOVEMBER L&W .

Maybe the Robotech vs Transformers comic series will finally get made. I believe that would have been great exposure for Robotech if someone hadn't allegedly killed the deal because they wanted creative control over the crossover. Oh right, according to HG's reps at the time it was just a rumor

HAHAHAA... I HOPE SO. I ALSO HEARD OF OTHERS.

IT'S A WAIT AND SEE.
13 years 6 months ago #13615

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

RTSURFER

When the Robotech comics were at Wildstorm Tommy was supposedly in charge as a result of his previous connections with that division. Tommy writes but he isn't a writer if you get my meaning.

YEAH. I GET IT.

HEY, I THOUGHT HE WALKED IN TO HG WHEN WORKING AT WILDSTROM? IN OTHER WORDS, WHO CONTACTED WHO FIRST? WE KNOW BECAUSE OF TOMMY'S CONECTION HE WAS ABLE TO WORK DEALS WITH WILDSTORM. MAYBE SAVING HG A LOT ON THE LONG RUN.

He had worked for Wildstorm, not sure if he was at the time he pitched his Robotech comic ideas to HG. My understanding is that there were two comic offers on the table, Tommy with Wildstorm and Carl with another company (don't recall which one). Supposedly they chose Wildstorm because Tommy was familiar with the staff and would have creative control.
We'll never know how the other comic title would have performed with Carl writing. Apparently HG came very close to going this route as IIRC both Carl and the other comic company both made comments suggesting they already had a deal.
MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

RTSURFER

I imagine DC will scrap his retcon in favor of a clean reboot. Based on the performance of Robotech comics under Tommy's control I seriously doubt he will be in charge of any new Robotech comic title(s). Tommy's Wildstorm Robotech comics went from 50k for the first issues of "From the Stars" (with multiple covers) to 8k for the final issues of "Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles". For the sake of Robotech comics and the franchise I hope things don't stay the same. DC will most likely make decisions based on the bottom line, they are in the business of making money after all.

THIS I THINK WHERE YOU WRONG. HG HAS FULL CONTROL OF THEIR LICENSE. THAT THEY ABLE TO OPEN THE DOOR FOR MORE PRODUCTION IS RIGHT. BUT LOOSING FULL CONTROL. I DISAGREE. AND REMEMBER, DC WAS PUMPING COMICS WHEN THE BUYING AND ECONOMY WAS GOING DOWN. THEN ADD THE SALES OF PRELUDE FOR A SMALL RUN OF IT'S PREDECESSOR. WHICH NOW YOU CAN ADD THE RE-RELEASE OF NOVEMBER L&W .

I don't see how someone can honestly believe that HG has control over the LAM. When dealing with a company like WB HG's rep would likely be a consultant with a producer title.
In DC's case, if they don't have control they could refuse to print a new Robotech comic unless HG meets their terms which might include final creative control. Ironically, since HG has apparently said all unsold and expired license (except the ones they chose to renew like Palladium's) will go to WB, by default DC (a WB subsidiary) will have the title either way.
I don't think 896 sales of the Prelude re-release is going to make much of a difference to the overall numbers. L&W's first run sales were better than Preludes but I still wouldn't expect too much from its re-release.

Last edit: 13 years 6 months ago by rtsurfer.
13 years 6 months ago #13617

RTSURFER

He had worked for Wildstorm, not sure if he was at the time he pitched his Robotech comic ideas to HG. My understanding is that there were two comic offers on the table, Tommy with Wildstorm and Carl with another company (don't recall which one). Supposedly they chose Wildstorm because Tommy was familiar with the staff and would have creative control.
We'll never know how the other comic title would have performed with Carl writing. Apparently HG came very close to going this route as IIRC both Carl and the other comic company both made comments suggesting they already had a deal.

OK... NOT SURE ABOUT CARL ON THAT. WHO WAS CARL WORKING FOR AT THE TIME?

WHATEVER IMPRESSED AGRAMA WORKED. AND SINCE THEN HG HAS KEPT CONTROL OF ROBOTECH AND THE STORY TO FOLLOW. OF COURSE WE CAN SEE THOSE PROBLEMS WITH CARL OR EVEN HG LETTING GO OF CREATIVE CONTROL IN THE PAST.

NOT SURE WHERE TO TOSS THE COIN. IN THE END IT WAS THE BEST IDEA TO GO WITH CHANGE AND AT THE SAME TIME BRING IN CARL. AND HE BEEN AROUND HG FOR A LONG TIME BEFORE THE OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT. WE WILL SEE HOW TOMMY USES THAT AS WELL.

WHY NOT. WE HAVE SEEN HG BEING IN CONTROL WITH THEIR OTHER CONTRACTS AS OF RECENT. SOMETHING THEY LEFT VERY LOOSELY UNDER CARL MACEK YEARS.

WB WILL DO IT'S MOVIE... YES. EVEN HG HAS GONE ON RECORD ON THAT. AT THE SAME TIME THEY SAY THEY ARE VERY MUCH INVOLVED AND EVEN USE MARVEL AND IT'S LICENSES.
13 years 6 months ago #13634

^I think Carl was working for ADV.

IIRC, it was Dreamwave who believed they had a deal with HG to do a comic called Robotech Genesis. Jay was supposed to work on it then moved to Wildstorm to work on Robotech From the Stars. There were reports that Carl would be working on stories for Wildstorm as well, but that obviously never happened.

13 years 6 months ago #13637

AH. COOL. NICE TO KNOW.

;)
13 years 6 months ago #13639

Time to create page: 0.504 seconds