Re-Reading The Sentinels - Kindle Style

• ps99041
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by ps99041 on topic Re: Re-Reading The Sentinels - Kindle Style

I'm starting to get bored with this back and forth discussion since we'll never really get a clear explanation on anything. What's more, Sentinels isn't even cannon anymore.
12 years 10 months ago #16390

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re: Re-Reading The Sentinels - Kindle Style

ps99041 wrote:

I'm starting to get bored with this back and forth discussion since we'll never really get a clear explanation on anything. What's more, Sentinels isn't even cannon anymore.

HAHAHA.. JUST JABBING AT YOU.

COME ON MAN. WE KNOW YOU JUST LIKE TO THROW STUFF OUT THERE. BUT HONESTLY, YOU BRING OUT GOOD CONVERSATION. EVERYONE HERE I BELIEVE IS WELL VERSED IN THE ROBOTECH UNIVERSE AND HERE TO HELP. THE MORE YOU THROW OUT THE MORE WE ALL SHARE AND LEARN ABOUT ALL THIS ROBOTECH INFORMATION.

THE CLEAR EXPLANATION YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER STARTS WITH THE 85 EPISODES. GOTTA WATCH AND RE WATCH THE SHOW.

EARTH FORCES IS PRETTY MUCH A GIVEN ON WHAT THEY SAY AND EASY TO UNDERSTAND.

NOW LISTEN CLOSELY TO THE ZENTRADI. ESPECIALLY EXIDORE AND BREETAI. THEY TELL A LOT ABOUT THEIR SOCIETY AND HOW THEY WORK AND WHY THEY FEAR THE MASTERS.

MASTER SAGA YOU GET TO KNOW MORE ABOUT THE MASTERS.

WITH THESE TWO NOTES YOU CAN DRAW A LINE WITH THE SENTINELS ON CONTINUITY.

THE SENTINELS IS NOT LOST IN CANON. IT'S THERE IN THE NEW HG SHADOW CHRONICLES AND PRELUDE.

THE DEBATE WILL BE IF IT WAS DONE RIGHT BUT TO EACH HIS OWN ON HOW THEY TAKE THE SENTINELS WHICH OFFERS A TREASURE TROVE OF DEBATE ON ROBOTECH CONTINUITY.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
Last edit: 12 years 10 months ago by MEMO1DOMINION.
12 years 10 months ago #16394

rtsurfer wrote:

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

ROBOTECH ART 3
EPISODE 4 SECOND THOUGHTS
PG 65 THIRD COLUMN
NOTE 12

"Dr. Lang hopes that the ship's space fold mechanism will be able to hold up to the pressure of carrying this much weight through hyperspace. The Trojan Horse Strategy has placed the entire Robotech Expeditionary Force armada inside the gutted interior of the giant space battle fortress. The added weight might be to much."

Thanks Memo, I wonder how large that gutted space/hold was supposed to be and how many capital ships it would hold?

YOU KNOW WHAT? THAT'S A GOOD QUESTION.

BUT WE WILL NEVER KNOW UNLESS HG JUMPS INTO A SIDE STORY OF IT.

GOING BACK TO WHAT I WAS TELLING ps99041, HG WOULD HAVE TO REBOOT ABOUT EVERYTHING THAT WE KNOW ABOUT THE SENTINELS TO MAKE A GOOD FLOWING CONTINUITY. I KNOW FANS OUT THERE WANT HG TO CONTINUE THE SENTINELS BUT I DON'T THINK MANY KNOW THE STORY BEHIND IT. AND THAT THE SENTINELS MOVIE SHOWN WAS A SAVED PROJECT OF AN ORIGINAL STORY AND JUST RE DONE TO GIVE BACK TO THE FANS.

ps99041 wrote:

So you're saying that Marie Crystal is part of the REF since she was part of the air force? Hmmm...

LIKE I SAID. JUST THROWING STUFF OUT THERE...

BROOK WILL EXPLAIN BETTER. :)

SO BROOK, CAN YOU EXPLAIN A LITTLE BIT ABOUT MARIE'S ROLE AND THE COMMAND STRUCTURE ON EARTH SINCE SHE DID NOT GO WITH THE ROBOTECH EXPEDITIONARY FORCE.
Last edit: 12 years 10 months ago by MEMO1DOMINION.
12 years 10 months ago #16395

• Brooklyn-Red-Leg
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by Brooklyn-Red-Leg on topic Re: Re-Reading The Sentinels - Kindle Style

ps99041 wrote:

So you're saying that Marie Crystal is part of the REF since she was part of the air force? Hmmm...

Nothing of the sort. There are at least 3 Service Branches in the United Earth Forces (aka Robotech Defense Forces) that we can identify via the animation.

The Army of the Southern Cross (aka Ground Forces)
The Air/Space Forces
The Global Military Police

There also appear to be attached forces like the Army Air Corps (several references exist to 'Army fliers') and probably an Army Naval Corps (the Frogmen).

The Army of the Southern Cross is a Service Branch. Its just that, the UEF Army. The Robotech Expeditionary Force is a Combat Command like Central Command that runs operations in the Iraq and AfPak theatres. As such its made up of members from all 3 branches. The Army of the Southern Cross troops are under Edward's direct command when on the ground. The Air/Space Forces are under Rick's direct command, excepting where Lisa is probably in charge of Fleet related operations. Added to this mix is Breetai's Zentraed troops who are not under direct UEF control.

Rick is the overall military commander of the REF. Supreme Commander Leonard, on the other hand, is the Commander of all UEF troops by the time of the 2nd Robotech War (he probably was not when the Press Conference took place in The Sentinels, but like Chairman of the Joint Chiefs and/or Chief of Staff of the Army).

The REF's structure is in no way different from the various American Expeditionary Forces that have been involved in a number of wars. Think of it this way: Leonard is the equivalent of George Marshall while Rick is equivalent to Eisenhower. Lisa is sort of like Chester Nimitz while Breetai is like Montgomery.

The problem over the years is that people confuse the REF and the ASC. The latter is a significantly larger organization than the former. In no iteration (that I am aware of) is the REF anything BUT a Combat Command made up of troops from multiple service branches.
12 years 10 months ago #16398

Brooklyn Red Leg wrote:

In no iteration (that I am aware of) is the REF anything BUT a Combat Command made up of troops from multiple service branches.

THANKS FOR THE REPLY THERE BROOK. GOOD TO KNOW.

WHEN READING ROBOTECH ART 3, IT SOUNDS LIKE EVERYTHING WOULD BE BIGGER COMING FROM THE REF POINT OF VIEW. TO BAD THE COMICS DID NOT DO THAT JUSTICE EVEN THOUGHT YOU GET A GOOD STORY OF WHAT COULD HAVE BEEN.
12 years 10 months ago #16421

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master
  • Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!
  • Thank you received: 947

Replied by LadyGrimes on topic Re: Re-Reading The Sentinels - Kindle Style

kinda off topic, but do you prefer kindles to the actual books?
I've never used one but I've seen them, this is just curiosity on my part.

Thank you @AB for my adorable new avatar! <3
12 years 10 months ago #16438

• ps99041
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Biollante wrote:

kinda off topic, but do you prefer kindles to the actual books?
I've never used one but I've seen them, this is just curiosity on my part.

There's nothing better than holding the actual comic book when you're reading it. However, reading comics on the Kindle (haven't tried color comics yet though) is definitely more convenient and easier to carry around as I bring it to work to read on breaks. I actually started reading a novel on the Kindle and have to say I enjoy the experience more than holding a paperback book.
12 years 10 months ago #16439

• ps99041
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Finally finished the series and overall it was a fun rereading though I do question a lot of material. The Kindle did its job well. Since I have to work this whole long weekend, I had extra down time at work and ended up reading the script of Robotech Shadowforce since the Kindle is also compatible with PDF files. Gotta say it was an interesting read. It wasn't perfect but I definiely like it more than Shadow Chronicles as the first half of the story isn't just a retelling of the final episodes of the New Generation. I also like how they used established characters like Karen Penn, Angelo Dante and Aurora Sterling to help connect prior story elements. Definitely something every Robotech fan, and even Robo-Tech fans, should read.
12 years 10 months ago #16499

Time to create page: 0.526 seconds