first one to post here hehehe...

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Veritech_IDEON on topic Re:first one to post here hehehe...

I second the stuff about Leonard. One of the things I really hate about the novels is McKinney's desire to explore the sex lives of Robotech characters. Having Leonard be a pedophile is silly, and I did not need to know that Rick lost his virginity to his cousin.

Leonard was probably the best military leader of the series, so it's not right to call him illegitimate, especially since the ASC was made official by the UEF.

I do think you could call him xenophobic to an extent, but after all, this was a man who survived the Rain of Death. He rallied human survivors and saw the destruction wrought by the Zentraedi, only to see more during the Malcontent Uprisings. Then, of course, the Robotech Masters arrived... So I don't blame him having trouble trusting aliens.

Leonard always seemed to do what he thought was best for Earth, so he had noble intentions. But his hawkish nature, I think, possibly lengthened the Second Robotech War since he refused to seek any means of peace. Not that I think he should have tried to negotiate with the Robotech Elders, but it's clear the average Tiresian and Zor Prime didn't want the war and sympathized with humanity, so perhaps Leonard could have alligned with them.

Other than those qualms, I definitely think Leonard was a better tactician than Gloval, Admiral Hunter, and anybody else as depicted in the series. He definitely deserved more respect in the novels.
MACROSS SAGA > ROBOTECH MASTERS > NEW GENERATION

IMHO

My hobbies include:

Robotech

That's it.
15 years 8 months ago #1227

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Brooklyn-Red-Leg
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by Brooklyn-Red-Leg on topic Re:first one to post here hehehe...

Veritech_IDEON wrote:

so it's not right to call him illegitimate, especially since the ASC was made official by the UEF.

Well, it was not made official in the Tv series, it WAS official. The Narrator in Metal Fire explicitly calls it the Army of the United Earth Forces (making it a Service Branch, not a Combatant Command). The REF, on the other hand, is said to be composed of different unit types, not the least of which is Army units (which would have to be ASC, since its THE Army), making it a Combatant Command ala US Central Command.
15 years 8 months ago #1228

• Last_Valk_Standing
  • Last_Valk_Standing's Avatar Topic Author
  • REF Member
  • REF Member
  • SDF-1 Shellback
  • Thank you received: 2

Replied by Last_Valk_Standing on topic Re:first one to post here hehehe...

It's hard to figure the novels. Some components are really good and then they just seemed to go too far off on a tangent where they shouldn't have.
Co-Commander, Vulture Flight 59th Combined Tactical Operations Group (Gamma Wing)

Member of AkL
Huge fan of Attention On Deck website.

Official Reporter for MNN (Macross News Network LOL)
15 years 8 months ago #1278

• Thank you received: 13

Replied by Protoculture on topic Re:first one to post here hehehe...

Seriously & interestingly enough, the Masters trilogy books are the best, most in depth & interesting of all RT novelizations. If we can just ignore the cultist overtones & thinking caps & move beyond that, the Masters novel trilogy has far better intense space naval confrontations, back door conspiracies, fleshed out Masters dark intentions & purposes, the feudalism that creeping back into human society .... the depth of maturity that set Masters saga apart from Macross or New Gen novels.

Its far darker, mature & more realistic outlook of humanity struggle against the very Overlords of Robotechnology!
Last edit: 15 years 8 months ago by Protoculture.
15 years 8 months ago #1326

• Last_Valk_Standing
  • REF Member
  • REF Member
  • SDF-1 Shellback

I'm still slowly makeing my way through the novels. Once again while I really do enjoy them and some of the wholes plugged in the series with it I do still find it somewhat annoying at times with some of the added stuff.

Yeah i'm not quiet to the Masters novel just yet. I'm only on the second book. I have never had the entire Masters DVD set or any of the new Gen (hence i will admit that i really don't know much if anything at all about NG :blush: ) So my novels are really the only thing i have to get that story.
Co-Commander, Vulture Flight 59th Combined Tactical Operations Group (Gamma Wing)

Member of AkL

15 years 3 months ago #2603

• Last_Valk_Standing
  • REF Member
  • REF Member
  • SDF-1 Shellback

Something i do really like though is the backstory on how the SDF-1 got lost to begin with. Showing that the Zent's are actually combat capable is nice. The Series really dosen't illustrate it very well.

The story about the discovery and initial exploaration of the Crashed ship was also very interesting and could have a whole novel all to itself. Rick seems more sensible in the novel then the series as well.

It may not be on topic here but my absolute favorite Macross saga based story will always be Attention On Deck though. Tops my recommended reading list.

Member of AkL

15 years 3 months ago #2604

Time to create page: 0.436 seconds