Robotech 3000

• Thank you received: 13

Replied by Protoculture on topic Re:Robotech3000

Updated the link for RT 3000 (CG) pre-production art gallery:

ROBOTECH 3000 (CG) ART
Last edit: 13 years 10 months ago by Protoculture.
13 years 10 months ago #12562

Please Log in to join the conversation.

The new revamped RT3000 concept art after the CG version was scrapped.

The newly revamped RT 3000 was being considered for 2D anime with Tatsunoko inputs. Atleast 2 characters were redesigned with anime aesthetics:

Suzy Kramer

13 years 10 months ago #12563

Brent Hawkins

13 years 10 months ago #12564

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Operator7G on topic Re:Robotech3000

I think the Black Sheep guys mislabeled one of their images. :S

If you take a look at the bottom left hand corner image called "max-9.jpg" you'll see it doesn't belong to Robotech 3000.

Even though the RT3000 label says Kretaan - 6.1.99, it also says:

"Quadraped Concept 20 W.O.T.W Martian - 6.1.98"

If you know your science fiction you'll know that W.O.T.W stands for "War of the Worlds". Also, keep in mind that all of the Robotech 3000 concept art on display at Black Sheep's site was produced in 1999. So really this image shouldn't belong with the others if it was produced in '98.

To support my claim, take a look at this image in Dave Max's portfolio, found in the bottom row left-hand corner:

You'll see that it has the label: "W.O.T.W Project - 8.98"

Also, worth noting is the exclusion of 'eric-art-5.jpg' in their ROBOTECH 3000 folio. One has to wonder what the concept left out of was - a veritech design, maybe?
Last edit: 13 years 9 months ago by Operator7G.
13 years 10 months ago #12711

Found this:

Kretaan definitely isn't a martian monster in this one! :laugh:
13 years 10 months ago #12712

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:Robotech3000

USUALLY PRODUCTION GOES THROUGH EDITS AND EDITS.

SPECULATING
WOTW? COULD BE A DEFINITION OF WHAT THE MOVIE WAS GOING TO BE ABOUT. SENTINELS III OR SOMETHING.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
13 years 10 months ago #12713

• Lobizon
  • Lobizon's Avatar Topic Author
  • REF Member
  • REF Member
  • Bounty Hunter! =☠=
  • Thank you received: 4

Replied by Lobizon on topic Re:Robotech3000

13 years 10 months ago #12715

TO ADD. SPOKE TO TOMMY ABOUT THESE GUYS AND HE SAYS THEY WERE LEGIT. THAT THEY ARE SHOWING OFF OFFICIAL PRODUCTION.
13 years 10 months ago #12717

TO ADD. SPOKE TO TOMMY ABOUT THESE GUYS AND HE SAYS THEY WERE LEGIT. THAT THEY ARE SHOWING OFF OFFICIAL PRODUCTION.

If that is the case then Dave Max's 'sketch-31.jpg' should also be slapped with the Harmony Gold Official Production label as well!

Yes, I do agree with you that a production goes through several edits to get to the final product but it's really obvious that the date belonging to max-9.jpg does not sync up with the dates of the others. It's the only one in the bunch that is labeled 1998. Tell me you can see that!?!

Also, tell me when you type in "WOTW" in Google.... what do you get?

If you bother to do the google search and follow the appropriate links eg: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_War_of_the_Worlds you'd notice WOTW / War of the Worlds has Martian elements in it, thus you can see that "Quadraped Concept 20 W.O.T.W Martian - 6.1.98" contradicts with the rest of the Black Sheep Production images (except sketch-31.jpg) unless you're convinced that Martians play a key role in the Robotech3000 universe which would prove to be a lack of imagination on Carl Macek's part which I highly doubt was the case. I think we have to give him some credit for originality. I mean can you imagine scary Martian mantis-like-creatures playing any sort of role in the Robotech3000 universe?
Last edit: 13 years 9 months ago by Operator7G.
13 years 9 months ago #12728

Operator7G

If that is the case then Dave Max's 'sketch-31.jpg' should also be slapped with the Harmony Gold Official Production label as well!

Yes, I do agree with you that a production goes through several edits to get to the final product but it's really obvious that the date belonging to max-9.jpg does not sync up with the dates of the others. It's the only one in the bunch that is labeled 1998. Tell me you can see that!?!

YOU DO KNOW THAT THE CONCEPTUAL ART GOES ALL THE WAY TO 1998? SOME HAVE 11-98 AND 12-98.

I ALSO HAVE SOME OF THE ART SINCE WAY BACK 2000. I SEE THE DATES FINE. WHAT YOU SEE ARE THE FINAL EDITS. WHAT YOU ARE NOT SEEING IS CONCEPTUAL ART THAT IS PROBABLY MORE WACK. YOU ONLY SEEING THE PROFESSIONAL FINISH.

Also, tell me when you type in "WOTW" in Google.... what do you get?

If you bother to do the google search and follow the appropriate links eg: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_War_of_the_Worlds you'd notice WOTW / War of the Worlds has Martian elements in it,

A AGREE WITH YOU ON THIS PART

thus you can see that "Quadraped Concept 20 W.O.T.W Martian - 6.1.98" contradicts with the rest of the Black Sheep Production images (except sketch-31.jpg) unless you're convinced that Martians play a key role in the Robotech3000 universe which would prove to be a lack of imagination on Carl Macek's part which I highly doubt was the case. I think we have to give him some credit for originality. I mean can you imagine scary Martian mantis-like-creatures playing any sort of role in the Robotech3000 universe?

REMEMBER, THEY HAVE NO IDEA WHAT "ROBOTECH 3000" IS. HECK, I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT IT IS.

I DISAGREE WITH YOU ON THIS PART. MANY PRODUCTIONS I HAVE SEEN REFERENCES TO OTHER MOVES TO GET THE FEEL OF WHERE THE STORY IS GOING. YES, IT'S AN ORIGINAL WORK. JUST THAT THE ARTIST IS GOING BY REFERENCE TO WHAT THE WRITER OR PRODUCTION PEOPLE WANT TO IMPLY AS TO THE WORK THEY ARE DOING. TO GET A GENERAL FEEL OF WHAT THEY WILL BE DRAWING.

IT'S USED IN PRODUCTION ALL THE TIME.

IT'S ALSO POSSIBLE, SPECULATION ON MY PART, THAT THE ARTIST WERE WORKING ON IDEAS TO THROW AROUND. ONCE HG STARTED FUNDING IT AND CHOSE THE ACTUAL LOOK, WHICH IS COMMON IN PRODUCTION WHEN AN ARTIST WANT'S TO SHOW OFF HIS SKILLS OR WHAT HE THINKS THE PRODUCTION MIGHT BE MOVING, THAT CERTAIN ELEMENTS WERE PICKED FROM THERE. EXCLUDING ACTUAL ART FROM THE ARTIST.

YOU CAN SEE THAT EXAMPLE WHERE THEY USE A MACROSS TYPE FIGHTER AS REFERENCE IN ONE OF THE BOARDS.

TERMINOLOGY AND REFERENCES ARE THROWN AROUND ALL THE TIME TO GET A FEEL OF THE STORY AND WHAT THE ARTIST CAN PORTRAY THROUGH THE SKETCHES.
13 years 9 months ago #12729

Time to create page: 0.620 seconds