The Anti-Unification War

• Veritech_IDEON
  • Veritech_IDEON's Avatar Topic Author
  • Micronian
  • Micronian
  • Thank you received: 0

The Anti-Unification War was created by Veritech_IDEON

I've been rewatching the series the whole way through for the first time in a long while, and I've noticed some big things I missed before.

In the original Macross, there was no war before the SDF-1 crashed. Rather, the war came after and was fought over many things, paramount among them was certain groups' refusals to join the unified world government. This war is usually referred to as the Anti-U.N. Wars in Macross, or the Anti-Unification War in the Robotech context.

Now, I have seen people in the past (don't ask me where, I cannot remember :blush: ) argue that this Anti-Unification War only occurred in Macross and not Robotech. I used to hold this view, in fact. My reasoning being that the series suggested to me a ten-year period of peace between 1999 and 2009.

Now, the Anti-Unification forces are mentioned explicitly in The Macross Saga in Homecoming. It is revealed that the UEG has covered-up the First Robotech War thus far by claiming Macross Island was destroyed by the Anti-Unification League. If the people of Earth could believe this story, then doesn't it seem that the AUL was still a threat at this time (2010) and the Anti-Unification War was still on?

Some other interesting implications/questions:

Did Roy Fokker fight in the Global War or the Anti-Unification War? Did he fight in both like the recent comics show?

How devastating was the Anti-Unification War? The episode in which Claudia reminisces to when she met Roy (2007, I think), Roy says something about how the UEF has a shortage of pilots because of losing so many in the recent past. Did all of these pilots die in the Anti-Unification War, or are the UEF's air forces still struggling to rebuild from the Global War?

Just wondered if anyone had any opinions. :)
MACROSS SAGA > ROBOTECH MASTERS > NEW GENERATION

IMHO

My hobbies include:

Robotech

That's it.
14 years 1 month ago #10628

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Gubaba on topic Re:The Anti-Unification War

And the hardcore, Macross-bashing Robotech fanatics say we're the ones' whose continuity is incoherent! ;)
14 years 1 month ago #10629

• Veritech_IDEON
  • Micronian
  • Micronian

Replied by Veritech_IDEON on topic Re:The Anti-Unification War

And the hardcore, Macross-bashing Robotech fanatics say we're the ones' whose continuity is incoherent!

Whoa! :laugh:

Who are you on rt.com?

For those who read this and don't know, I posted that comment in a debate on Macross chronology a few days ago on rt.com.

By the way, I meant that KIND OF tongue in cheek. I don't hate Macross. As far as Macross and Robotech fans going at it from time to time over whose franchise it better, I just have to say "Can't we all just get along?" :)

But seriously, Robotech is better. ;)

IMHO

My hobbies include:

Robotech

That's it.
Last edit: 14 years 1 month ago by Veritech_IDEON.
14 years 1 month ago #10631

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Veritech_IDEON wrote:

Whoa! :laugh:

Who are you on rt.com?

:lol:

No one. I'm not a member there...but I follow some of the discussions sometimes.
14 years 1 month ago #10632

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

As for your question, I always found the "the SDF-1 crashes and ends World War III, bringing ten years of peace" to be a little hard to swallow. And it's been quite a long time since I saw the Claudia/Roy flashback episode...when was it supposed to be set? 'Cause clearly, they were fighting SOMEONE there; and it's just as clearly set AFTER the SDF-1's crash, since they've built the first prototype Veritech.

So yah...I guess 1999-2009 wasn't as peaceful as the narrator would have us believe.
14 years 1 month ago #10634

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Veritech_IDEON wrote:

But seriously, Robotech is better. ;)

So I've heard. :P
14 years 1 month ago #10635

• Veritech_IDEON
  • Micronian
  • Micronian

Replied by Veritech_IDEON on topic Re:The Anti-Unification War

And it's been quite a long time since I saw the Claudia/Roy flashback episode...when was it supposed to be set?

According to the Infopedia timeline, it's 2006.

IMHO

My hobbies include:

Robotech

That's it.
14 years 1 month ago #10636

Replied by Alois-Fisher on topic Re:The Anti-Unification War

Depends of the source, many sources, so many sources...
TV serie leaders as Admiral Hayes (Nicholas or Donald), A. Russo and according the novels also Blaine, Turischevsky, Zukov, Kinsolving, Theroux etc.
There are several names also in the comics as Return To Macross as Amanda Devane, Wendell Hamilton, Drummond, etc..
And there is the RPGs...
14 years 1 week ago #11531

Time to create page: 0.301 seconds