New Generation Toys?

• rtsurfer
  • rtsurfer's Avatar Topic Author
  • REF Member
  • REF Member
  • Thank you received: 0

New Generation Toys? was created by rtsurfer

Has HG or Toynami said anything about 1/100 scale TNG toys or toys that will tie-in with the new animation sidesequel (rt2012)?

Since the sidesequel (rt2012) is apparently going to be about Lancer and Sera this would be a great opportunity to introduce a TNG toyline. While I realize they would be on the smaller side, I would like to see some 1/100 TNG toys to go along with my Macross ones. Toynami could start out with a vinyl Invid and a transformable blue Alpha then gradually work their way through the other Invid. If they sell well they could do color variants for the Alphas and maybe a Beta. They could also make a vinyl Bat and Condor. Maybe we could even get a 1/100 Hovertank since rt2012 appears to cover the arrival of the Invid. Toys from sagas other than Macross would be so cool.
"rtsurfer's two cent..." ;O)

rtsurfer's ROBOTECH archive
13 years 1 month ago #14994

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• ps99041
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by ps99041 on topic Re: New Generation Toys?

rtsurfer wrote:

Has HG or Toynami said anything about 1/100 scale TNG toys or toys that will tie-in with the new animation sidesequel (rt2012)?

Since the sidesequel (rt2012) is apparently going to be about Lancer and Sera this would be a great opportunity to introduce a TNG toyline. While I realize they would be on the smaller side, I would like to see some 1/100 TNG toys to go along with my Macross ones. Toynami could start out with a vinyl Invid and a transformable blue Alpha then gradually work their way through the other Invid. If they sell well they could do color variants for the Alphas and maybe a Beta. They could also make a vinyl Bat and Condor. Maybe we could even get a 1/100 Hovertank since rt2012 appears to cover the arrival of the Invid. Toys from sagas other than Macross would be so cool.

I haven't read anything on any website but I was also asking about this during the Toyfair 2011 coverage. You would think it would be logical to get some TNG toys ready for the sidequel release but all we've seen from Toyfair is one Robotech Officer's Battlepod and a bunch of Macross Valkyries. These aren't even slated until later in the year for release. Maybe we'll see something at Toyfair 2012 since it's likely the sidequel won't be released til 2012. I just hope they don't follow the release strategy of Shadow Chronicles and release one toy a couple years AFTER the video release and then cancel the remaining items without telling anyone. Still, a vinyl Bat would be awesome and not likely to break upon removal from the package. I'd want it in scale with the Masterpiece Alpha though.
13 years 1 month ago #14995

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re: New Generation Toys?

HEY, I DID ASK THAT QUESTION AT AOD. WHILE EDITING THE VIDEO I LOST TRACK OF IT.

I ASKED IF HG IS THINKING OF DOING A 1/100 SCALE FOR NEW GENERATION STUFF AND MAYBE FUTURE TOYS OF 2011 MOVIE AND TOMMY SAID NO.

WOULD BE NICE TO GET AN ALPHA IN 1/100.

I DID NOT ASK ABOUT A VINYL THOUGHT.

IF YOU GUYS WANT I CAN PUT IT UP.

BUT I REALLY THINK HG OR TOYNAMI SHOULD LOOK INTO IT. WOULD NOT MIND A CONBAT 1/100 SCALE TOY. IT WOULD BE LANCERS.

BUT AS I PONDER... WOULD IT NOT NEED LIKE MAYBE 5 CHARACTERS TO MAKE MONEY OF OF IT? UNLESS THE STORY DOES NOT DIVE INTO MORE CONBAT FIGHTERS.....

HMM......
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
13 years 1 month ago #14998

• rtsurfer
  • REF Member
  • REF Member

Replied by rtsurfer on topic Re: New Generation Toys?

The way Toynami produces toys/collectables in such low quanities they would have to make more than one vinyl Conbat, and I don't know what variants they would make besides maybe battle damaged and one without the yellow markings.

Does George/Toynami even know there's going to be a TNG era sidesequel with Lancer and Sera?

Is there going to be a masterpiece Yellow/Lancer Cyclone? Didn't the Japanese manufacturer only produce Stick and Ley?

Last edit: 13 years 1 month ago by rtsurfer.
13 years 1 month ago #15000

• ps99041
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

rtsurfer wrote:

The way Toynami produces toys/collectables in such low quanities they would have to make more than one vinyl Conbat, and I don't know what variants they would make besides maybe battle damaged and one without the yellow markings.

Does George/Toynami even know there's going to be a TNG era sidesequel with Lancer and Sera?

Is there going to be a masterpiece Yellow/Lancer Cyclone? Didn't the Japanese manufacturer only produce Stick and Ley?

Here's a solution for making variants: Mars Base, Jupiter Base, REF, Shadow, and 27th Anniversary variants. Still, I doubt Toynami would make toys until they see if the sidequel is successful. The fact that the sidequel is supposed to be a smaller production than Shadow Rising may be reason enough to dismiss a toy line since Macross seems to be where Toynami thinks the money is.

I'm pretty sure the Masterpiece Cyclones are done and they never made a Yellow/Lancer prototype though the Rook/Fuke prototypes was shown in Japan.
13 years 1 month ago #15001

rtsurfer wrote:

I DON'T KNOW IF THEY KNOW OR NOT THAT'S WHEN I ASKED TOMMY AT A.O.D. I HAVE NOT SEEN SOMEONE ASK ABOUT TILL YOU ASKED NOW. MAYBE IF FANS PUSH IT A BIT MORE BESIDES ME THEN WHO KNOWS.

WILL POST IN RT.COM STUFF FORUM SEE WHO WILL BE INTERESTED.

AND THAT WAS IT.

IMO I THINK THE ECONOMY HAD A LOT TO DO WITH IT. TOYNAMI CHANGED GEARS RIGHT WHEN THE ECONOMY WAS TANKING. WHY THEY WENT INTO THE 1/100 SCALES AND VINYL.
Last edit: 13 years 1 month ago by MEMO1DOMINION.
13 years 1 month ago #15006

• rtsurfer
  • REF Member
  • REF Member

I was thinking about the Invid, based on how Toynami likes to produce collectables/toys I suspect the most likely one for them to produce is the Commander. IIRC, they come in Green, Orange, Pink, and Grey. There's a slim chance they would make a scout (standard, armed) or a trooper (standard, armed). We'd probably never get a soldier or enforcer. Truth is well probably never get any of them as Toynami and HG apparently think only Macross variants make money.

About the masterpiece Yellow/Lancer type cyclone. Couldn't Toynami buy or lease the molds from the Japanese Manufacturer (I can't recall their name) and produce a limited run to coincide with rt2012? They could even take pre-orders with a downpayment to make sure they will sell enough to justify the cost. Just a another though.

I don't know how we stir up interest in TNG toys since most people probably don't even know there's new animation coming out. RTstuff is proably a good start.

13 years 1 month ago #15010

• ps99041
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

My understanding of the Cyclones was that they were produced in conjunction between Toynami and Beagle which is why Scott/Stick's head is different depending on if you bough a Masterpiece or the Japanese version. Even if they could get exclusive use of the molds, Lancer's version is significantly different than Scott's or Rook's models which means Toynami would have to make a new mold for a significant part of the toy. Making them "limited" probably wouldn't help since the price would go up even more. None of the previous Masterpieces even came close to hiting their initial target of 15000 limited pieces. Maia only hit about 5000 from what I've read and it's still readily available. Still, the Invid variants would be pretty cool but, like rtsurfer, I doubt we'll see them since only Macross products sell.
13 years 1 month ago #15013

AGREE AS WELL. MACROSS IS THE MONEY MAKER JUST BECAUSE BESIDES ROBOTECH FAN BASE IT ALSO CATERS TO MACROSS FANS.

IF WE SEE SOMETHING LIKE AN INVID SCOUT IT WOULD BE IN SMALL RELEASE AND PROBABLY IN LONGER LENGTH OF TIME BETWEEN RELEASES OF NON MACROSS ITEMS.
13 years 1 month ago #15017

• rtsurfer
  • REF Member
  • REF Member

Considering the cyclones are molded in pieces, how much of it would actually have to be re-sculpted? Head and helmet, arm guards, headlights, and rear thruster block. Anything else? Wonder how many little pieces each mold is actually in?

The Invid Scout probably has the best chance of ever being produced as they could make it in like four plus variants. Standard, armed, with booster, and with those three massive cannons from the comics, plus a battle damaged one. Besides they already did a sculpt of one for the bookends, so they have a foot in the door.

What I find ironic is some of the old matchbox toys sell on ebay for about the price of a vinyl figure, and a couple of them even sell for around the price of a masterpiece. Yet Toynami won't produce those particular mecha.
If WB ever does anything with Robotech, I hope they figure out a way to do a classic toy line.

Last edit: 13 years 1 week ago by rtsurfer.
13 years 1 week ago #15670

Time to create page: 0.413 seconds