New Generation Toys?

• ps99041
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by ps99041 on topic Re: New Generation Toys?

How smart can Toynami really be when they can't even get a major retailer to carry their product and when they say something has a limited production run they aren't even able to market it correctly to even hit their production target? Toynami is not a company that is ready to play in the big retailing league so yeah, they don't loose but they don't win either. The franchise has the potential to make more money for Toynami and HG as well as making fans happy but Toynami always runs short. Afterall, we're still waiting for the next Battlepod variant and there's still no release date for what we saw at SDCC.
13 years 1 week ago #15735

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re: New Generation Toys?

RTSURFER,

THERE IS A REASON WHY LICENSING DEBATES STAY IN CANON FODDER.

SO EVERYONE MOVE ALONG.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
13 years 1 week ago #15741

• rtsurfer
  • rtsurfer's Avatar Topic Author
  • REF Member
  • REF Member
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by rtsurfer on topic Re: New Generation Toys?

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

RTSURFER,

THERE IS A REASON WHY LICENSING DEBATES STAY IN CANON FODDER.

SO EVERYONE MOVE ALONG.

Which part of my deleted post was a licensing debate? Why didn't you leave the parts that weren't?
"rtsurfer's two cent..." ;O)

rtsurfer's ROBOTECH archive
13 years 1 week ago #15752

• rtsurfer
  • REF Member
  • REF Member

Why does Toynami reproduce Macross and Mospeada toys which already exist in Japan? Seems like they would get a lot more toys on the US market if they sold those toys as part of their Robotech/Macross/Mospeada toy lines and concentrated on producing new Robotech toys. It can't be because Toynami's versions are better, look at all of the complaints over quality, I've even seen some of the quality issues myself.

13 years 1 week ago #15753

• ps99041
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Toynami doesn't want to produce Robotech toys because they don't think there's a big enough market for them. When they do make something, they make it limited so they can charge more. Marketing a Japanese toy is probably a better deal for them as they don't have to do any design work. They get their distribution fee and just slap a Toynami sticker on it so it's all profit for them which is why most Japanese companies don't work with them.
13 years 1 week ago #15758

rtsurfer wrote:

Why does Toynami reproduce Macross and Mospeada toys which already exist in Japan? Seems like they would get a lot more toys on the US market if they sold those toys as part of their Robotech/Macross/Mospeada toy lines and concentrated on producing new Robotech toys. It can't be because Toynami's versions are better, look at all of the complaints over quality, I've even seen some of the quality issues myself.

THERE IS ALREADY A THREAD IN MW OVER JAPAN TOYS. SOME ARE GOOD AND SOME ARE BAD.

I DON'T COLLECT THE JAPAN TOYS. TO EXPENSIVE.

ps99041 wrote:

Toynami doesn't want to produce Robotech toys because they don't think there's a big enough market for them. When they do make something, they make it limited so they can charge more. Marketing a Japanese toy is probably a better deal for them as they don't have to do any design work. They get their distribution fee and just slap a Toynami sticker on it so it's all profit for them which is why most Japanese companies don't work with them.

THAT'S TRUE.

THE ONLY THING IS, I CAN FINALLY GET A CHEAP ELINT SEEKER. NOT TO FOND OF THE OSTRICH THOUGHT. GOOD PRICE AND FITS IN A DESK.
Last edit: 13 years 1 week ago by MEMO1DOMINION.
13 years 1 week ago #15764

• ps99041
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

I'm always surprised when Memo agrees with me. Yeah, the Japanese stuff is expensive but the Yamato toys are beautiful, looking as close to the line art as possible.
13 years 1 week ago #15767

• rtsurfer
  • REF Member
  • REF Member

ps99041 wrote:

I'm always surprised when Memo agrees with me. Yeah, the Japanese stuff is expensive but the Yamato toys are beautiful, looking as close to the line art as possible.

Are the Japanese toys expensive period, or is it because they are shipped overseas?
Are the Toynami Masterpiece VFs based on the Yamato toys? Wasn't Toycom the international distributor for Yamato at one time?

13 years 1 week ago #15775

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Gubaba on topic Re: New Generation Toys?

rtsurfer wrote:

ps99041 wrote:

Are the Japanese toys expensive period, or is it because they are shipped overseas?
Are the Toynami Masterpiece VFs based on the Yamato toys? Wasn't Toycom the international distributor for Yamato at one time?

I don't *think* the Toynami designs are based on the Yamato designs, unless you want to say that ALL Valkyrie VF-1 toys are essentially the same as the old Takatoku versions. I could be wrong about that, though.

I don't get the toys myself (I'm much more of a model kit guy...Hasegawa is MY drug of choice), but they retail here, mostly, for about ¥13,000. So yeah...more than a Toynami Alpha, but less than a Toynami Beta.

In Tokyo, though, there are quite a number of places where you can find them cheaper.
13 years 1 week ago #15776

Gubaba wrote:

rtsurfer wrote:

ps99041 wrote:

I don't *think* the Toynami designs are based on the Yamato designs, unless you want to say that ALL Valkyrie VF-1 toys are essentially the same as the old Takatoku versions. I could be wrong about that, though.

I don't get the toys myself (I'm much more of a model kit guy...Hasegawa is MY drug of choice), but they retail here, mostly, for about ¥13,000. So yeah...more than a Toynami Alpha, but less than a Toynami Beta.

In Tokyo, though, there are quite a number of places where you can find them cheaper.

HEHEHE

I HEAR A FEW BUT NOT A LOT OF FANS THAT THEY WOULD LIKE TO TOYNAMI TO MAKE MODEL KITS. SOME FANS ARE FOND OF THEM. I USED TO COLLECTED THEM MYSELF FROM A LOCAL SWAP MEET IN THE 80'S. BUILDING AND CUSTOMIZING WAS THE THING BACK THEN.
13 years 1 week ago #15804

Time to create page: 0.522 seconds