Valerian

• Peter Young
  • Topic Author
  • Academy Cadet
  • Academy Cadet
  • Thank you received: 96

Valerian was created by Peter Young

A few weeks ago, Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets premiered, the movie adaption of a French comic book series. How long has a Robotech movie been rumoured, but not even seriously attempted?

It's director, who also directed The Fifth Element (I think from 1997. Halfway '90s for sure), has been fan of Valerian ever since he was a kid. According to reviews, he captured the spirit of the Original comics. Tommy Yune is supposed to be fan as a kid as well, but so far none of his attempts came anywhere near the real thing.

Was TSC from 2006 or from 2007? In 2006, a French/Japanese coproduction created a cartoon television series of 'Valerian', Valerian et Laureline.

3 - 0 for the French!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alpha Bravo
6 years 8 months ago #26286

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Peter Young
  • Topic Author
  • Academy Cadet
  • Academy Cadet

Replied by Peter Young on topic Valerian

(feels awkward, not to say self-centred, to be responding to my own topic)

The Sunday after above mentioned movie premiered, an international French speaking station (TV5monde) aired the first episode of the cartoon series. I happened to zak past it, just after the first minute, and stayed with it because it seemed an interesting cartoon. Didn't even know what series it was and I never would have realised it was #1 if the two antagonistst happened to meet each other for the first time...
I've been feeling a kid again, in the sense that on Saturday and Sunday mornings, just after ten, I watch the episodes being aired. The series was apparently made in 2006. I assume it was based on the orginal charachters, but (as usual with cartoon adaptions of comics) takes place 'in an alternate universe'.

The reason I'm writing this: about two and a half yar ago, someone told me it doesn't make a difference what effort is being made in a cartoon: "Kids are kids! They like it simply because it's a cartoon. You only think teh cartoons in your own childhood were better because you grew up with those!"

Seemed a bit cynical to me. Did for instance Walt Disney of Hanna-Barbera not consciously put more effort than usual in their cartoons, because they assumed that A) kids DO know the difference between craft or crap and B) parents who watch with their children would appreciate the occasional remark or joke aimed for the adult audience? However, such a remark is hard to disprove. You can't relieve your childhood in a different decade and compare.

I haven't atched the live action movie.
I did not read the comics as a child.
I'm watching the cartoon for the first time ('sides, would have been half my twenties had I watched the first time around).

And I LIKE the cartoon. Like the direct stories and the (directed at kids) situation humour, but I also like the occasional satire of aspects of society (tourism in one episode, advertisement/marketing in another).
I certainly like the idea that on the background tends to be refered to diplomacy/politics in the 'galactic parliament'. The srries is for kids, so it doesn't go deep, but it could have potentially opened up spin-ffs had it been a comic series).

I have proof that the cynical statement is NOT true!
You CAN see the difference in effort being made in a cartoon!

For those who took French in high school or college or learned it elsewhen: the series is available on Youtube. Search for 'Valérian et Lauréline'. I can recommend it!
6 years 6 months ago #26345

• Peter Young
  • Topic Author
  • Academy Cadet
  • Academy Cadet

For those who think I'm a marvel at languages: two years ago I started taking French courses in my spare time. Had dropped it in high school. Without those courses I would not be able to follow the cartoon.
Keep in mind that with cartoons or comics part of the story is in the animation - it's easier to follow it than with live action or a book.

Second reason the series is making me feel a kid again: untill the tv channels decided to dub cartoons, about fifteen years ago, cartoons were aired in English with subtitles. But we did not learn to read untíll first grade - so we usually learned to understad English before we learned how to write our own language!
I'm a kid again, able to follow part of what is being said and unable another part ;) )

Made rewatching English spoken cartoons as teenager or twentier all the more fun, because this time I understood everything ;)

But this post probably aplies more to continental Europeans than to anyone who grew up in an English speking country, I guess.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wayvox
6 years 6 months ago #26346

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Valerian

HAVE NOT SEEN VALERIAN YET.
I REALLY WANTED TO BUT FOR SOME REASON GOT TO BUSY.
I ALSO CURRENTLY AQUIRED MOVIEPASS. I PAY 10 DLRS A MONTH AND CAN SEE 1 MOVIE A DAY THOUGHT NO IMAX.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
6 years 6 months ago #26351

• Peter Young
  • Topic Author
  • Academy Cadet
  • Academy Cadet

Haven't watched the movie, love the cartoon.
6 years 4 months ago #26422

• Peter Young
  • Topic Author
  • Academy Cadet
  • Academy Cadet

Final episode starts in five minuttes :(
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Peter Young.
6 years 4 months ago #26444

Time to create page: 0.288 seconds